Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  86
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 1, 2019 Team

At this point, it's based on the players we have actually signed up. Not factoring in any injuries. Once the player movement period concludes, it might change a fair bit.

B: Cordy Naughton Daniel
    HB: JJ Wood Suckling
    C: McLean Macrae Hunter
    HF: Richards Schache Williams
    F: Greene Boyd Gowers
    OB: English Bontempelli Dunkley

Int: Crozier, Trengove, Lipinski, Picken

Emerg: Webb, Young, Adams, Dale

Spending a bit of time in the VFL: Porter, Redpath (if not retired), Roberts (if not traded),

Yet to be signed, could be added to above: Dahl, Wally, Libba, Roughy, Morris, Jong, Collins, HC, Campbell, Lynch, NMM, Smith, Dickson

Incoming: Pick 7, West, Khamis and several more draftees
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

Looking at that team BT, I’d only take suckling out as I don’t think he would be a walk up start, and move Williams to the hbf and Dale into the hff, but it’s a decent looking team that could only strengthen with Josh Kelly
    I will never see #16 the same!!

4. Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Looking at that team BT, I’d only take suckling out as I don’t think he would be a walk up start, and move Williams to the hbf and Dale into the hff, but it’s a decent looking team that could only strengthen with Josh Kelly
    Suckling was in career best form, but you're right there's a lot of competition for the HBF spots. I'm confident we can sign Libba whose a walk up starter and be it Shiel, Gaff or Kelly, we have a good chunk of salary cap to play with to add them into the 22 too.

It's a decent looking team which could get even better looking after the trade/free agency period. Which highlights that we desperately need a new team to manage our players to keep them on the park. If we get some fresh leadership in this area, which results in less injuries, then we will win several more games of footy with our best 22.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Suckling was in career best form, but you're right there's a lot of competition for the HBF spots. I'm confident we can sign Libba whose a walk up starter and be it Shiel, Gaff or Kelly, we have a good chunk of salary cap to play with to add them into the 22 too.

It's a decent looking team which could get even better looking after the trade/free agency period. Which highlights that we desperately need a new team to manage our players to keep them on the park. If we get some fresh leadership in this area, which results in less injuries, then we will win several more games of footy with our best 22.
    Totally agree BT, and let’s hope after a full review of the footy dept, those aspects of injuries are put into place and come to fruition. Sucklings experience can certainly be used, and probably required, so I’m not against him in there. I loved the look of Williams before his injury, and I’m hopeful his further strength and improvement over pre season will see him a permanent player.

Libba and hopefully another player of quality we can pick up, would come into this team, but we need to have players knocking down the door from the VFL to put pressure on those in the starting 22, which will only strengthen the culture.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We seem pretty good in the middle now but a month or so back we weren't saying that as much. Work rate means everything and even if on paper the midfield looks strong and it doesn't work for each other it won't go well but we have the last couple of weeks.

Having everyone on the park and less injuries will help us a lot. We have some great youngsters coming through who should keep improving with another pre season under the belt.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Totally agree BT, and let’s hope after a full review of the footy dept, those aspects of injuries are put into place and come to fruition. Sucklings experience can certainly be used, and probably required, so I’m not against him in there. I loved the look of Williams before his injury, and I’m hopeful his further strength and improvement over pre season will see him a permanent player.

Libba and hopefully another player of quality we can pick up, would come into this team, but we need to have players knocking down the door from the VFL to put pressure on those in the starting 22, which will only strengthen the culture.
    I look forward to the day when we back to furious disagreement about our best 22, like in 2016.

As the kids come on, and if we can improve on injuries, its going to make the competition you talk of very real. The talent seems to be there, now for the coaches and fitness folks to turn that talent into winning.

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Libba has another good pre season and can actually get some form back in 2019. So frustrating for him with injuries. Was there that day at Whitten Oval when he did his first knee in our 2015 pre season over the Tigers.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Hopefully Libba has another good pre season and can actually get some form back in 2019. So frustrating for him with injuries. Was there that day at Whitten Oval when he did his first knee in our 2015 pre season over the Tigers.
    Very innocuous in front of the opposition dugout near the boundary.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Don't like Wood as a CHB
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't like Wood as a CHB
    I know he's the captain and popular with the supporters but I think the reason why we tried him as a forward earlier this year is that we have better options in the back line. He's not attacking enough when compared to the likes of JJ, Suckling, Richards, Crozier and Williams and he's not a great option on taller forwards so Adams, Cordy, Trengove and Naughton are better suited.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Woody played very well yesterday he is easily in our best back 6

Post Thanks / Like

Morris, Naughton, Daniel
    JJ, Cordy, Wood
    Williams, Macrae, Hunter
    Dunkley, Schache, McLean
    Dale, Boyd, Gowers
    Trengove, Bont, Liberatore
    Adams, Crozier, Richards, Suckling

I'm backing Dale to rebound strongly and take that medium marking + ability to play high role.
    Trengove and Boyd to share the ruck duties, however won't be surprised to see English take that role, in which case Trengove battles Adams for my tall bench spot, which I like Adams for with his ability to play forward or back.
    Would be great to see Williams lock down a spot on the wing/midfield where his pace adds a bit.
    Going to be a tough side to select when we have a full compliment of players, quite a few I've left out in Picken, Lipinski, Wallis, etc who I'd expect to play a lot of senior footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know he's the captain and popular with the supporters but I think the reason why we tried him as a forward earlier this year is that we have better options in the back line. He's not attacking enough when compared to the likes of JJ, Suckling, Richards, Crozier and Williams and he's not a great option on taller forwards so Adams, Cordy, Trengove and Naughton are better suited.

Interesting take. I tend to think it was more because we didn't have many experienced forwards who we thought could contribute compared to the wealth of options we have down back, however you're right that Wood isn't an attacking weapon like a few others.

I prefer him as a defender and think he comfortably fits with our group with his ability in the air and being pretty good at defending 1:1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    Woody played very well yesterday he is easily in our best back 6
    I agree, but don't like trying to always play him tall.

The other issue is can we play Cordy, and Morris in the same team?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree, but don't like trying to always play him tall.

The other issue is can we play Cordy, and Morris in the same team?
    Given the form of Suckling prior to his injury I think it's more of an issue if we can play both Morris and Wood in the same back line.
    We lose a lot of run and skill level plus neither are that suited on playing on taller players unless we want that mismatch
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"