B: Crozier, Naughton, Wood
    HB: Williams, Cordy, Daniel
    C: Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter
    HF: McLean, Schache, Lloyd
    F: Wallis, Trengove, Gowers
    R: English, Bontempelli, Liberatore
    I/C: Suckling, Duryea, Richards, Lipsinki
    Emerg: Smith, Hayes, Greene, Roberts
    I like your team Rocco, but I have my doubts on Billy. His preseason hasn't been brilliant. I would be tempted to play Dickson in his place.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Update

Looks to be about right to me Rocco but it also highlights that we don't have a lot of depth at the moment with just a few injuries.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Looks to be about right to me Rocco but it also highlights that we don't have a lot of depth at the moment with just a few injuries.
    Boyd, Picken, Morris and JJ would under normal circumstances be considered key first choice players for us, how many more injuries to test depth do you want?

Apart from the fundamental personnel or list balance issues we have with our forward line and possibly ruck (depending on what side of the argument you sit on), I think we actually look OK. It's the next wave of injuries that will worry me.

Here's my attempt:

C: Suckling, Macrae, Hunter
    I/C: Dunkley, Duryea, Richards, Dickson

I've used Rocco's team as a starting point but have brought Dickson in for Lipinski, it's a risk given I don't know how his body will hold up, but I still think he's more likely to impact the scoreboard than most on our list.

Jacko goes into the centre, Dunkley to the bench and Suckling to a wing. I don't have a huge issue with how it was, aside from wanting to get some pace and penetration into a centre line that was lacking a bit of each. While Suckling hasn't played well thus far this year, I don't think he's at all suited to a forward role.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Boyd, Picken, Morris and JJ would under normal circumstances be considered key first choice players for us, how many more injuries to test depth do you want?

Apart from the fundamental personnel or list balance issues we have with our forward line and possibly ruck (depending on what side of the argument you sit on), I think we actually look OK. It's the next wave of injuries that will worry me.
    It's not a bad side by any stretch of the imagination and I probably should have said injuries and form.
    Having Hayes and Roberts on the bench is probably the reality but it's still a touch concerning.
    Hopefully we get JJ and Bailey Dale back soon from injuries and from a return to form perspective Dickson and Lewis Young will improve the depth of the side

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a bad side by any stretch of the imagination and I probably should have said injuries and form.
    Having Hayes and Roberts on the bench is probably the reality but it's still a touch concerning.
    Hopefully we get JJ and Bailey Dale back soon from injuries and from a return to form perspective Dickson and Lewis Young will improve the depth of the side
    Rocco didn't quite have them on the bench, he had them listed as emergencies. I'm really interested to see how Dale goes this year, agree that he will improve our depth but I'm wondering if he can deliver a bit more for us as the year progresses.

Post Thanks / Like

Hearing the reasoning for Dickson being included, however I am not sure he is worth the risk. He has had a limited pre-season and has broken down during games a bit. I don't see his upside being worth it. Hopefully he can get through another VFL game or two being a consistent contributer as we do need his point of difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Mclean is going to be used more as a small forward this year.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Looks like Mclean is going to be used more as a small forward this year.
    Based on the JLT? I'd like him to spend some more time forward but can we gauge much with the JLT?
    For example, there was an article about how Williams trained with the midfielders but come JLT he has been used mainly as a defender

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the JLT? I'd like him to spend some more time forward but can we gauge much with the JLT?
    For example, there was an article about how Williams trained with the midfielders but come JLT he has been used mainly as a defender
    No based on the article I posted up here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No based on the article I posted up here
    Sorry, I thought you were expressing your view, still it's the same point with articles. An article says that Williams has had his best preseason and has been training with the midfielders, come JLT he's a defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Hearing the reasoning for Dickson being included, however I am not sure he is worth the risk. He has had a limited pre-season and has broken down during games a bit. I don't see his upside being worth it. Hopefully he can get through another VFL game or two being a consistent contributer as we do need his point of difference.
    Your concerns are well founded, it's really hard to get a gauge on how he's going. If he's managed to get through two VFL games and an intra-club he could very well be ready to go.

He's still by a long way our smartest leading forward, perhaps he'd need to be played deep rather than up the ground where he's been played in recent times and more likely to fatigue.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I thought you were expressing your view, still it's the same point with articles. An article says that Williams has had his best preseason and has been training with the midfielders, come JLT he's a defender.
    Did the Williams article have quotes from Williams? The McLean article has quotes from McLean
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Did the Williams article have quotes from Williams? The McLean article has quotes from McLean
    It sure did plus it was off the club website

Williams

“This whole pre-season I’ve spent 100 per cent of my time in the midfield, learning off blokes like ‘Wall’, ‘Bont’, ‘Dunks’ and ‘Libba’,” Williams said.

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Looks about right. Not sold on Duryea and Daniel playing similar roles in the same team and a lot of guys looked out of sorts in the JLT, but I guess next week will tell us more.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius