B: Duryea, Roberts, Suckling
    HB: Webb, Morris, R.Smith
    C: Dale, B.Smith, Vandermeer
    HF: Lipinski, Lewis Young, Hayes
    F: Lloyd, Trengove, Greene
    R: Sweet, Jong, West,

Int: Porter, Khamis, Lachlan Young
    So...I don't disagree with your team but here's the thing:

1/. We went out and got Duryea...I think he will play.
    2/. Suckling was our best player early last year...he will play.
    3/. Morris will play. I know you said 'needs basis' but I haven't heard anything about him being a p/t player.
    4/. Smith is a top 10 pick. I cannot see how he wouldn't play as on talent alone he will 100% be in the frame.
    5/. Lipinski will play. Good 2018 where he showed ability as a hf and finished as an inside mid.
    6/. Trengove will play. Too versatile to miss and put in some horrible efforts early last year yet continued to be selected (I thought he was pretty solid back end)...he is just going to be in the team.
    7/. Lloyd - See Duryea.

So...given all of that, what is it going to look like? I can't identify the 7 outs either - like I said, I agree with you in the main - but...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

I'm with MJP on the 7 he lists.

Obviously the 22 will be decided on fitness as well.

I can't see Picken getting a game unless we are absolutely certain he is over his issues. Even then I believe he needs to prove he can still play, as his kamikaze style is not suited to continuing from the concussions.

Can' see Cavarra getting games in conjunction with Dickson/Lloyd.

The difficulty in picking a best 22 is one of the reasons I am very bullish for 2019 and beyond.

We just need to get our best team on the park on a regular basis.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

It's a very difficult task. At this stage I have Picken out, ditto Dickson with Lloyd taking his spot given Lloyd can run in the middle too.
    Trengove was our best performed ruck last year (secodn half of the season) and under the new rules teams seem set to play two ruckmen which means Boyd and/or English are vying for one spot and I'm actually tipping English in which leaves Boyd out.

I'm not even sure Wallis plays given he's primarily a forward and we've just brought in a couple and midfield spots will be tight with Williams making the transition there, Richards looking good on a wing and Libba likely to earn his spot back. Lippi might be unlucky too.

Dunkley simply has to play, the flow on effect (releasing Bont to play more outside) is just so much better for the side. When Dunkley went into the middle late in the year Bont's contested numbers dropped from 50% to 33% of his possession output and his total disposal rate increased. He's so deadly on the outside I like this move, releases him more.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another go at Round one team - link

TEAM EXPLAINED: An experienced backline largely picks itself. Captain Easton Wood and veteran Dale Morris only played three games together in 2018, which opened the door for Aaron Naughton and Zaine Cordy. The latter has played 37 games in the past two seasons and should feature, leaving ex-Hawks Matthew Suckling and Taylor Duryea potentially on the fringe.

The midfield looks gritty and reliable although could lack genuine leg-speed and elite ball-use.

A forward line crying out for goalkickers is likely to demand improvement from Tom Boyd and Josh Schache, while the void left by star half-forward Luke Dahlhaus could be filled by former Tiger Sam Lloyd or the return of Liam Picken from concussion symptoms.

The No.1 ruck position looks to be up for grabs between the flexibility of Jackson Trengove and the developing Tim English.

PRE-SEASON BATTLE: A dogfight could emerge for Bailey Williams' spot in the back six, as a surplus of defenders push their names. Matthew Suckling played the first 11 games last season before an Achilles injury and is training freely. His penetrating left foot might be a preferred option.

B: Easton Wood, Dale Morris, Zaine Cordy
    HB: Bailey Williams, Aaron Naughton, Jason Johannisen
    C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Jackson Macrae
    HF: Toby McLean, Josh Schache, Sam Lloyd
    F: Billy Gowers, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson
    Foll: Jackson Trengove, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis
    I/C: Ed Richards, Caleb Daniel, Josh Dunkley, Hayden Crozier

Defender depth: Matthew Suckling, Taylor Duryea, Brad Lynch, Roarke Smith, Lewis Young, Fletcher Roberts, Laitham Vandermeer, Lachie Young, Buku Khamis

Forward depth: Liam Picken, Patrick Lipinski, Lukas Webb, Fergus Greene, Ben Cavarra

Midfield depth: Lin Jong, Bailey Dale, Bailey Smith, Rhylee West, Will Hayes, Callum Porter

Ruck depth: Tim English, Jordan Sweet

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Fair effort - I have English in for Boyd, he's still not back to full training and most teams will play two rucks who can provide a presence forward now with the new rules.
    I don't have Bailey Williams in defence at all. Crozier starts on field, Williams to bench. Wallis isn't a starting mid either, he plays mostly forward swapping in the mids or not at all. He's probably 22nd picked if not out all together for Suckling. Might eb a Lloyd vs wallis question over the pre-season.

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Another go at Round one team - link

TEAM EXPLAINED: An experienced backline largely picks itself. Captain Easton Wood and veteran Dale Morris only played three games together in 2018, which opened the door for Aaron Naughton and Zaine Cordy. The latter has played 37 games in the past two seasons and should feature, leaving ex-Hawks Matthew Suckling and Taylor Duryea potentially on the fringe.

The midfield looks gritty and reliable although could lack genuine leg-speed and elite ball-use.

A forward line crying out for goalkickers is likely to demand improvement from Tom Boyd and Josh Schache, while the void left by star half-forward Luke Dahlhaus could be filled by former Tiger Sam Lloyd or the return of Liam Picken from concussion symptoms.

The No.1 ruck position looks to be up for grabs between the flexibility of Jackson Trengove and the developing Tim English.

PRE-SEASON BATTLE: A dogfight could emerge for Bailey Williams' spot in the back six, as a surplus of defenders push their names. Matthew Suckling played the first 11 games last season before an Achilles injury and is training freely. His penetrating left foot might be a preferred option.

B: Easton Wood, Dale Morris, Zaine Cordy
    HB: Bailey Williams, Aaron Naughton, Jason Johannisen
    C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Jackson Macrae
    HF: Toby McLean, Josh Schache, Sam Lloyd
    F: Billy Gowers, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson
    Foll: Jackson Trengove, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis
    I/C: Ed Richards, Caleb Daniel, Josh Dunkley, Hayden Crozier

Defender depth: Matthew Suckling, Taylor Duryea, Brad Lynch, Roarke Smith, Lewis Young, Fletcher Roberts, Laitham Vandermeer, Lachie Young, Buku Khamis

Forward depth: Liam Picken, Patrick Lipinski, Lukas Webb, Fergus Greene, Ben Cavarra

Midfield depth: Lin Jong, Bailey Dale, Bailey Smith, Rhylee West, Will Hayes, Callum Porter

Ruck depth: Tim English, Jordan Sweet

I like this setup alot, although possibly English in for Boyd and Picken (if 100% fit) for Tory
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I don't have Bailey Williams in defence at all. Crozier starts on field, Williams to bench. Wallis isn't a starting mid either, he plays mostly forward swapping in the mids or not at all. He's probably 22nd picked if not out all together for Suckling. Might eb a Lloyd vs wallis question over the pre-season.
    Whilst it was great that Wallis signed on as he is a great role model with regard to training standards he is going to have to be at his best and continue to develop his skills if he is to lock down a spot in our best 22... lots of competition for spots in the mid sized forward/ midfiled spots which can only be a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Whilst it was great that Wallis signed on as he is a great role model with regard to training standards he is going to have to be at his best and continue to develop his skills if he is to lock down a spot in our best 22... lots of competition for spots in the mid sized forward/ midfiled spots which can only be a good thing.
    Too true - late last year he was very good in that role but adding Lloyd changes things, Caverra can't be far away and why would we chase Duryea if there wasn't a defined role for him? We don't know yet whether that's forward or back, although it may be a small lockdown defender role we gave Roarke many chances at.

Two smokies - Bailey Dale (who looked bast 22 in 2017) and Fergus Greene who was actually quite effective, even if he did constantly lead to spaces that were more difficult chances to convert from.

12. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The team needs rapid improvement following two disappointing years and for that reason, I believe Lloyd, Duryea and Bailey Smith, should all be included in the opening senior team. There is enough good defenders, to free up Richards to play a more damaging role forward. English and Trengrove appeal as our best ruck combination. Still not convinced that we can play both Boyd and Schache as key forwards in the one team. The return of Liberatore should lift an under manned midfield, where I think Bailey Williams, could also be an asset in this division.
    This would be my opening line up:
    B. Morris Cordy Naughton
    HB. JJ Wood Crozier
    C. Hunter McLean Macrae
    HF. Lloyd Trengrove Richards
    F. Gowers Schache Dunkley
    R. English Bontempelli Liberatore
    Int. B Williams, Wallis, Duryea, B Smith

14. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In a more general position I think our selection process for each week needs to have a strong focus on the continued development of our younger players.
    We can't be in a position where players like Lipinski, Lewis Young or Lynch don't get enough games to continue their progress.
    While I'm a strong supporter of picking the best teams we have slipped back too far and our future is very much about development in 2019.
    If that means the likes of Morris, Dickson and Picken have to make room on occasions then we need to consider that.
    I agree that we are developing so need to play the developing players. At tension with this is the media image we have made that we are ready for finals and ready to overcome the blemishes of the last two years. Given a quarter of our list is new and therefore unknown in terms of how they perform at AFL level, it is difficult to sell hope that they will get us to finals in 2019. Personally I'm just happy to play the younger players in their expected positions until they gain experience and success in the position. If we make the finals its a bonus.
    However one would think that Cavarra and Duryea having been recruited as mature players would get a chance to prove their worth. If we do go with Smith and all young guys Footscray is going to have a very experienced team with maybe Morris, Cavarra, Duryea, Picken, even Wallis etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The team needs rapid improvement following two disappointing years and for that reason, I believe Lloyd, Duryea and Bailey Smith, should all be included in the opening senior team. There is enough good defenders, to free up Richards to play a more damaging role forward. English and Trengrove appeal as our best ruck combination. Still not convinced that we can play both Boyd and Schache as key forwards in the one team. The return of Liberatore should lift an under manned midfield, where I think Bailey Williams, could also be an asset in this division.
    This would be my opening line up:
    B. Morris Cordy Naughton
    HB. JJ Wood Crozier
    C. Hunter McLean Macrae
    HF. Lloyd Trengrove Richards
    F. Gowers Schache Dunkley
    R. English Bontempelli Liberatore
    Int. B Williams, Wallis, Duryea, B Smith
    While I think you have selected a good team the most noticeable players missing are Boyd and Lipinski. We have to try and make Boyd into a key forward who both partners Schache in a twin towers type set-up and also does some ruck work. I thought Lipinski finished the year off as a very bright prospect and he should be in the mix for us at the start of the season. I also think Suckling was having his best season for us before his injury and he probably should also be in our best 22
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing is they are all strong looking teams having been selected.
    will have a go at one for the first round

B Morris Cordy Crozier
    HB Wood Naughton JJ
    C Richards Bont Macrae
    HF Hunter Schache Maclean
    F Boyd Gowers Dickson
    R English Dunkley Libba
    IN Trengove Daniel Suckling Williams

i have English 50% Trengove 40% Boyd 10% ruck ditties rotating through forward pocket and the bench if all is going nicely. I would like to see us try stick to our guns a little bit more this year.

Getting a a bit excited to see what could happen. A lot of good players going to miss a lot of AFL if the boys can stay on the park

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Best thing is they are all strong looking teams having been selected.
    will have a go at one for the first round

B Morris Cordy Crozier
    HB Wood Naughton JJ
    C Richards Bont Macrae
    HF Hunter Schache Maclean
    F Boyd Gowers Dickson
    R English Dunkley Libba
    IN Trengove Daniel Suckling Williams

i have English 50% Trengove 40% Boyd 10% ruck ditties rotating through forward pocket and the bench if all is going nicely. I would like to see us try stick to our guns a little bit more this year.

Getting a a bit excited to see what could happen. A lot of good players going to miss a lot of AFL if the boys can stay on the park

First thing I thought when I looked at your team was that I'd move Gowers to the HFF because he is more suited to the flank with his creativity in the forward line and so Boyd could play out of the square but who do we move Hunter or Magic Maclean?

Spots are going to be at a premium next year. It's going to be great.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

My go. A crossover between what I think will happen and what I’d do.
    Not a huge fan of the Duryea pick up but I figure they’ll play him to start. I’d play English from the get go but can see them playing Trengove. I like Trengove but would have him behind Boyd, Schache and English for a spot.
    I’d have Picken and Dickson ahead of Lloyd, but figure one of them will be injured so Lloyd will get that spot. Pretty sure Bailey Smith will play round one but not sure who he’ll be ahead of at this point. We’ve certainly got some depth developing.
    Morris gets the benefit of the doubt but damn, it’s getting tough to squeeze him in.

B: Morris, Cordy, Crozier
    HB: Wood, Naughton, Duryea
    C: Hunter, Macrae, JJ
    HF: Dickson(Lloyd), Boyd, Richards
    F: Gowers, Schache, Picken (Lloyd)
    R: English, Bont, Maclean
    Int: Williams, Liberatore, Suckling, Dunkley
    Emg : Trengove, Wallis, B. Smith, Daniel
    Last edited by The Underdog; 13-01-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the best 22 teams selected don't have Williams in the starting 18 and very few teams if any have Lipinski in the 22.
    I get the conjecture about Boyd, English and Trengove but just with both Williams and Lipinski did enough to be in the round one team if fully fit.

The hardest players to select appear to be Lloyd, Duryea, Dickson and Picken which is a great sign that we have some playing depth.

I'm told Dickson is well on track to completing his first uninterrupted pre-season in a couple of years and for what it's worth Trengove is well ahead of where he was 12 months ago.

Some good signs for sure.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"