Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  86
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Interesting that for the most part the decreased capacity to interchange hasn't brought back the second ruck like most seemed to think it would.
    Every coach is different - if you have a mobile R2 who is a threat up forward they tend to play ok together (WCE an example, and Port traded for a Lycett/Ryder combo). If you have rucks who can only ruck you can't afford to carry more than one.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are we planning to out run them and out rotate them through the midfield?
    I think he is confident we will perform well. It may not past the eye test but I still rate our chances
    That's the plan.

Just a bit worried that if we don't win the midfield battle and then don't use the ball well that we will get horribly exposed.

Personally I would've been comfortable not play one of our smaller defenders (take your pick from Crozier, Williams, Daniel, Suckling, Duryea, etc..) for a taller option, but that isn't Bevo's style... expecially when we know that Cordy & Wood aren't super relaible as defenders anyway, even more so when they have to play taller.

Post Thanks / Like

Alir is not terrible in the ruck (assuming he does play there) and English is going to have to play well to beat him.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That's the plan.

Just a bit worried that if we don't win the midfield battle and then don't use the ball well that we will get horribly exposed.

Personally I would've been comfortable not play one of our smaller defenders (take your pick from Crozier, Williams, Daniel, Suckling, Duryea, etc..) for a taller option, but that isn't Bevo's style... expecially when we know that Cordy & Wood aren't super relaible as defenders anyway, even more so when they have to play taller.
    That's really what everything hinges upon isn't it?

If we're not clean distributing the footy then woe betide any back six we cobble together because they'll be the ones paying the price.

It's going to take a significant improvement on what we're used to.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That article says to me we won't play both English and Trengove in the same team (unless of course we decide to put him back to FB)
    I believe he trained with the rucks and forwards through the off season so perhaps with Naughton moving forward, Trengove will have to bide his time before being selected.

English played a bit better in the last JLT game than Trengove so has probably jumped ahead of him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The end of last season when we strung together that run of good games feels like a lifetime ago, I hope we can recapture the form.

Post Thanks / Like

My only issue with the team is English over Trengove. I thought we looked much better around the ball in JLT 2 when Trengove was on in place of English. It looks like we are trying to force them to play Sinclair in the ruck as opposed to forward.

Not overly fussed re the lack of height in the backline. We won't win anything by doing things the same as everyone else. We need to find something over other sides and simply playing tall guys because they are tall won't help. We likely would have got done 1 on 1 whether we play a tall or not. We lacked overlap from the back half in the JLT series so I think this is designed to help our high possession style. We need that run from behind desperately. I expect Suckling to slot into half back and that he was only played forward to hide the damage he might do from the kick ins.

The height issue is much the same for our forwards. If Schache isn't marking it then his lack of mobility to close space and defend worries me given our tendency to defend very high. We do need him up and running though so I am happy to wear this for a while until it becomes clear where he is at. Gowers must have dominated the match sim to get a game because his JLT series was putrid.

Hoping we kick the ball much better and our ball movement frees up back in a genuine stadium. The open style venues of JLT did nothing to help our style of play.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I noticed that hurt us in the JLT was our handballs to the bloke right next to them. This meant the tackler had a crack at both our boys instead of the receiver being a bit further away and the tackler couldn’t get to the guy receiving the ball. I’m struggling to get this out. If we start looking beyond the closest teammate and get that first handball another 5 meters away then we will be a lot better. I think it was early season nerves causing it to stay in way to tight in the contest.

Im a bit disappointed with Trengove missing out. I though him and English would of done well together. Either resting in a pocket or on the bench. To much pressure on the you g fella now. He should have been eased into the number one role. Not the sole ruckman.

Im a bit excited though I can’t wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Im a bit disappointed with Trengove missing out. I though him and English would of done well together. Either resting in a pocket or on the bench. To much pressure on the you g fella now. He should have been eased into the number one role. Not the sole ruckman.
    I appreciate what you are saying but I just haven't seen any evidence that either English or Trengove can be effective as a forward...and if we are using up 1x interchange spot for a player who is a ruckman only, well...that just isn't going to cut it.

I thought a couple of weeks ago we would do this but figured the decision would be to go with Trengove...I still think Schache is a viable ruck/forward option for 5-7 minutes per q.

The reality is, if an opposition forward gets hold of us, we still have the option of swinging Naughton back to cover, Cordy can pinch hit up forward if he doesn't have a match-up, we could go smaller and play Dickson out of the square...I understand the concern but I think we have enough cover and the side looks balanced 'enough' to me and we have emphasised our strengths - runners + mid-sized forwards...

Very confident of singing the song tomorrow!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That's the plan.

It's not like we couldn't have picked a taller line-up and we have specifically chosen a side to play the way the coach wants. If it works, and it should, then kudos to the coaching team for coming up with a good game plan. If it doesn't then there are no excuses because that's how we intended to line-up.

I might be overly confident but I still like our chances
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Personally glad we are going small - Trengove is a poor forward, average ruck and too slow to play key defender for the most part. He’s not the worst player but he doesn’t own any one position which is an issue.

Young isn’t ready and we don’t rate Roberts.

No point going tall for the sake of it, I’d rather try and expose them by playing to our strengths.

13. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Personally glad we are going small - Trengove is a poor forward, average ruck and too slow to play key defender for the most part. He’s not the worst player but he doesn’t own any one position which is an issue.

Young isn’t ready and we don’t rate Roberts.

No point going tall for the sake of it, I’d rather try and expose them by playing to our strengths.
    It is always better to go with your strengths.

Covering your weakness only weakens your strength.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing how everyone says "I don't take any notice of JLT but," then proceed to tear apart the "game plan" which was used in the aforementioned pre season competition.
    To my eyes we were just experimenting with something different with the handball chaos and the unusual underground foot and hand passing. (We once excelled at the bounce pass in the 70's)
    I feel very confident in our premiership coach and his merry men, and trot along to Marvelous Marvel Stadium with a spring in my step and a song in my heart..............{her name was Lola, she was a showgirl da da da .................}

16. Likes dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to being wrong this evening. Backline looks just too undersized and lacking in talent for mine. Fortunately our midfield still looks talented enough to match or better Sydney’s and maybe being a season opener at home might have the boys up.

With Naughton now looking like a preferred key position forward, and Trengove not seen by the MC as up to the task, we haven’t plugged the key position hole since Hamling departed at the end of ‘16, still hedging our bets on a broken Dale Morris to too often play the undersized KPD.