Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  87
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 299
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boronia
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    AFL.com.au attempt at round 1 team

    B: Easton Wood, Dale Morris, Taylor Duryea
    HB: Hayden Crozier, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Williams
    C: Josh Dunkley, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
    HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Toby McLean
    F: Billy Gowers, Josh Schache, Mitch Wallis
    Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae

    I/C: Caleb Daniel, Jackson Trengove, Ed Richards, Matthew Suckling

    EMERG: Bailey Smith, Will Hayes, Patrick Lipinski, Lachlan Young


    NEW: Sam Lloyd (Richmond)


    UNAVAILABLE: Tom Boyd (back), Ben Cavarra (quad), Bailey Dale (ankle), Jason Johannisen (ankle), Lin Jong (hamstring), Buku Khamis (knee), Liam Picken (concussion), Laithan Vandermeer (hamstring), Lukas Webb (neck).

    NOTES: The final spot came down to Matt Suckling or Bailey Smith, but given the draftee has played less than 50 per cent game time in both JLT Series matches, it's hard to mount a case for him.

    Aaron Naughton is a lock to play forward alongside Josh Schache, while Sam Lloyd wins a game after an impressive JLT2.

    The ruck conundrum is a fascinating prospect for Luke Beveridge, but given the doubts at either end of the ground, Jackson Trengove plays as a second ruck and all-round 'Mr Fix It'.

    While the defence appears undersized, Easton Wood and Bailey Williams have the ability to play taller. - Mitch Cleary
    I can't disagree with this team. I thought Will Hayes should something but hard to fit him in.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Not to say I agree with it, but the likelihood of no Bud makes it a bit easier to play Naughton up forward.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    I haven't seen anything to suggest the Duryea is a walk up start. Naughton goes to FB ffs and leave him there.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    24,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    I haven't seen anything to suggest the Duryea is a walk up start. Naughton goes to FB ffs and leave him there.
    I suspect, we will have him in the 22 largely based on his ability to help organise the back line
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  5. #185
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I suspect, we will have him in the 22 largely based on his ability to help organise the back line
    I've seen Duryea potted a bit on here - was neutral about his recruitment, but I thought he was pretty good against St Kilda.

    Don't get the negativity so far. I'm a sucker for a good kick
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

  6. #186
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Where's Lewis Young at?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    AFL.com.au attempt at round 1 team

    B: Easton Wood, Dale Morris, Taylor Duryea
    HB: Hayden Crozier, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Williams
    C: Josh Dunkley, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
    HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Toby McLean
    F: Billy Gowers, Josh Schache, Mitch Wallis
    Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae

    I/C: Caleb Daniel, Jackson Trengove, Ed Richards, Matthew Suckling

    EMERG: Bailey Smith, Will Hayes, Patrick Lipinski, Lachlan Young


    NEW: Sam Lloyd (Richmond)


    UNAVAILABLE: Tom Boyd (back), Ben Cavarra (quad), Bailey Dale (ankle), Jason Johannisen (ankle), Lin Jong (hamstring), Buku Khamis (knee), Liam Picken (concussion), Laithan Vandermeer (hamstring), Lukas Webb (neck).

    NOTES: The final spot came down to Matt Suckling or Bailey Smith, but given the draftee has played less than 50 per cent game time in both JLT Series matches, it's hard to mount a case for him.

    Aaron Naughton is a lock to play forward alongside Josh Schache, while Sam Lloyd wins a game after an impressive JLT2.

    The ruck conundrum is a fascinating prospect for Luke Beveridge, but given the doubts at either end of the ground, Jackson Trengove plays as a second ruck and all-round 'Mr Fix It'.

    While the defence appears undersized, Easton Wood and Bailey Williams have the ability to play taller. - Mitch Cleary
    Sooooo ... let's try that again shall we?

    B: Easton Wood, Zaine Cordy, Taylor Duryea
    HB: Hayden Crozier, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Williams
    C: Josh Dunkley, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
    HF: Sam Lloyd, Josh Schache, Toby McLean
    F: Fergus Greene, Billy Gowers, Mitch Wallis
    Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae

    I/C: Caleb Daniel, Jackson Trengove, Ed Richards, Matthew Suckling

    *sigh*
    QUALITATIVE SHEEN

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Where's Lewis Young at?
    QUALITATIVE SHEEN

  9. Likes jeemak, The Pie Man, boydogs liked this post
  10. #189
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    38,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Now is the time to step up
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  11. #190
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    24,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I've seen Duryea potted a bit on here - was neutral about his recruitment, but I thought he was pretty good against St Kilda.

    Don't get the negativity so far. I'm a sucker for a good kick
    He will be okay for us. He was never going to be star but he's experienced and a good kick.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  12. #191
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    24,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Where's Lewis Young at?
    Hopefully making some progress and being a viable option to help replace the unreplaceable Morris in some way.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  13. #192
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    3,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Where's Lewis Young at?
    Reports on here from the VFL practice matches weren't glowing.

  14. #193
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,456
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    I actually don't think we replace his spot with a tall defender. Naughton plays back, alongside Cordy and Wood. Wood really can't play D4, so this structurally makes it easier for him and his role I believe. The other spots dedicated to rebound. No point trying to be something we can't, might as well play what we have and get rebound.
    Footscray Bulldogs in the VFL

    http://www.facebook.com/FootscrayBulldogs

  15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
  16. #194
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I actually don't think we replace his spot with a tall defender. Naughton plays back, alongside Cordy and Wood. Wood really can't play D4, so this structurally makes it easier for him and his role I believe. The other spots dedicated to rebound. No point trying to be something we can't, might as well play what we have and get rebound.
    I completely agree. One of the points I wanted to make with the Wood thread was that we were a bit light on for rebound with all 4 of Naughton Cordy Wood and Morris. I think this is probably a better balance even though we'll miss Morris's defensive efforts (all the more reason we need Wood to step up)

  17. #195
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West of somewhere.
    Posts
    3,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I actually don't think we replace his spot with a tall defender. Naughton plays back, alongside Cordy and Wood. Wood really can't play D4, so this structurally makes it easier for him and his role I believe. The other spots dedicated to rebound. No point trying to be something we can't, might as well play what we have and get rebound.
    It's funny how things work. Morris is a 'greater than the parts' type player but one thing he isn't is a run and carry type/dynamic ball user...and the questions being asked about whether he and Wood could play in the same back 6 were 100% legit (if in my opinion a bit over-stated due to my earlier comment about him being > sum of the parts).

    Now he isn't there. So I suspect a running type will come in.
    Now he isn't there. So I suspect Naughton will NEED to play back.

    Like I said, sometimes things just work out the way they work out and coaches/match committees/etc really have zero input to any of it...

    (You could say the Richmond small forward setup was 100% the outcome of a poor performing Ty Vickery and the failure of high draft pick Ben Lennon to come through...and NOTHING to do with Hardwick and co - 'cos they gave Vickery and Lennon 100000 chances....one premiership and another top of table season later, who gets the credit).

    p.s. None of this is a knock on Morris who is basically my favourite player of all time and certainly my favourite of the past 25 years.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

  18. Likes jeemak, Smads57 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •