Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  86
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1, 2019 Team

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Interesting take. I tend to think it was more because we didn't have many experienced forwards who we thought could contribute compared to the wealth of options we have down back, however you're right that Wood isn't an attacking weapon like a few others.

I prefer him as a defender and think he comfortably fits with our group with his ability in the air and being pretty good at defending 1:1.
    I think we have 15 players that are regarded as defenders on the list and we were hoping one of them (Adams or Wood) could become a defensive 3rd tall forward.

Cordy is probably the best option but I think he established himself as a key defender this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think we have 15 players that are regarded as defenders on the list and we were hoping one of them (Adams or Wood) could become a defensive 3rd tall forward.

Cordy is probably the best option but I think he established himself as a key defender this year.
    Yeah agree but I also think it was due to him being completely out of form they were trying to spark him. There were a few signs yesterday and i like the fact he worked his ass off to get back for the final few games. I still think he can be attacking as any of the players you mentioned because an intercept mark is attacking as any attribute defensive wise but the big question is can Wood return to his 2015 best?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree, but don't like trying to always play him tall.

The other issue is can we play Cordy, and Morris in the same team?
    Potentially it’s worthwhile trying Wood forward again when the team is in better form - we started the year so poorly that almost nobody would have been successful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Potentially it’s worthwhile trying Wood forward again when the team is in better form - we started the year so poorly that almost nobody would have been successful
    Wood was all at sea up forward... No thanks.

5. Likes Bulldog4life, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Wood was all at sea up forward... No thanks.
    Yep I’m with you Mantis. Much prefer Wood down back. We need Tom Boyd to step up forward and Josh Schache to continue to improve there and also we have Billy Gowers up there. Dunkley, Greene, Wallis, Macrae also can find the scoreboard. Really need a nice mix getting the goals and not just down to one guy. Our movement up there has been better the last few weeks thanks to the drive from half back through the middle.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

7. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    At this point, it's based on the players we have actually signed up. Not factoring in any injuries. Once the player movement period concludes, it might change a fair bit.

B: Cordy Naughton Daniel
    HB: JJ Wood Suckling
    C: McLean Macrae Hunter
    HF: Richards Schache Williams
    F: Greene Boyd Gowers
    OB: English Bontempelli Dunkley

Int: Crozier, Trengove, Lipinski, Picken

Emerg: Webb, Young, Adams, Dale

Spending a bit of time in the VFL: Porter, Redpath (if not retired), Roberts (if not traded),

Yet to be signed, could be added to above: Dahl, Wally, Libba, Roughy, Morris, Jong, Collins, HC, Campbell, Lynch, NMM, Smith, Dickson

Incoming: Pick 7, West, Khamis and several more draftees
    I love that midfield but it really needs at least one more elite ball user.

English, Bont & Dunk will monster some teams.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood needs to move into the midfield if he doesn't want to become obsolete and play the Heeney role. He needs to use his size and speed and start leading by example. Not saying he doesn't already, but he needs to add another string now we have JJ, Williams and Suckling providing run off half back and Daniel playing quarter back.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I love that midfield but it really needs at least one more elite ball user.

English, Bont & Dunk will monster some teams.
    Yep, as per my early list management thread, now we have cash freed up from Dahlhaus and others retiring, we should be after an elite midfielder hard. Maybe Gaff to boost the classy kicking out of the midfield.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep, as per my early list management thread, now we have cash freed up from Dahlhaus and others retiring, we should be after an elite midfielder hard. Maybe Gaff to boost the classy kicking out of the midfield.
    NO we don't, nothing is confirmed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    NO we don't, nothing is confirmed.
    Perhaps not confirmed, but it’s all but in reality. They can’t make an FA bid for over a month, but that doesn’t mean much. So I personally prefer to look forward to different eventualities so when the next Hurley falls through and we lose the next Hamling that we are not completely stuffed. I think he’s 90% gone and someone like Gaff would be a big upgrade now we can afford him comfortably in the event Dahl does leave.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see.

B: Cordy Naughton Daniel
    HB: JJ Wood morris
    C: Dunkley Macrae Hunter
    HF: Richards Shack Neal/Gaff
    F: West Boyd Gowers
    OB: English Bontempelli Mclean

Int: Crozier, Trengove, Libba, Picken

Rozee. Khamis williams. Dale. In emergency.
    Gaff or Neale adams and roughy to whatever one of those teams want him.

Oh man I'm dreaming. Hahaha

14. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Wood needs to move into the midfield if he doesn't want to become obsolete and play the Heeney role. He needs to use his size and speed and start leading by example. Not saying he doesn't already, but he needs to add another string now we have JJ, Williams and Suckling providing run off half back and Daniel playing quarter back.
    I'm not sure at 29 years of age Wood is a candidate for a first time move to the midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I'm not sure at 29 years of age Wood is a candidate for a first time move to the midfield.
    With his hamstrings, I can't see what the problem is.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    If he simply doesn't 'fit'' in the backline and can't play forward it's all that's left.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If he simply doesn't 'fit'' in the backline and can't play forward it's all that's left.
    If he doesn't fit in our defense plans then a hard conversation would need to take place about his future.
    I think he is still in our best defensive unit set up.