Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  159
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Final Series

I went to the game and felt Melbourne took control after they settled, but they kept kicking it to Hawthorn and allowed Hawthorn to keep scoring enough to stay in touch. A dreadful kick from Oliver in the last sent the momentum Hawthorn's way, but Melbourne were able to steady and draw away.

Hawthorn carrying far too many non contributors and Burgoyne looks like his decision to play on is not in the best interest of Hawthorn.

Gawn was the most influential player, but great contribution from Viney, Brayshaw, Tom McDonald and Weideman. The Melbourne lesser lights all managed to contribute at different stages. However, Dom Tyson was responsible for one terrible effort that allowed Puopolo to pick up the ball and ran away to create a goal in the first quarter.

They will approach the West Coast with some confidence, but they need to improve the kicking inside 50.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

2. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I went to the game and felt Melbourne took control after they settled, but they kept kicking it to Hawthorn and allowed Hawthorn to keep scoring enough to stay in touch. A dreadful kick from Oliver in the last sent the momentum Hawthorn's way, but Melbourne were able to steady and draw away.

Hawthorn carrying far too many non contributors and Burgoyne looks like his decision to play on is not in the best interest of Hawthorn.

Gawn was the most influential player, but great contribution from Viney, Brayshaw, Tom McDonald and Weideman. The Melbourne lesser lights all managed to contribute at different stages. However, Dom Tyson was responsible for one terrible effort that allowed Puopolo to pick up the ball and ran away to create a goal in the first quarter.

They will approach the West Coast with some confidence, but they need to improve the kicking inside 50.
    West Coast aren't really a team that punishes teams for their mistakes.

I thought Hawthorn played quite badly. They didn't really seem to know what their purpose was, were they the team that switched the ball across half back and then sliced you open with elite footskills or were they going to push and shove and create contest after contest? They just ended up looking clumsy and more often than not coughing the ball up in the corridor.

I switched off about halfway through the third quarter. I'm suprised to read that Hawthorn were still a chance in the last quarter.

The Tyson thing in the first quarter when he shit himself like a big, black Alsatian didn't look good.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

How good was that left foot goal from 50 from Melksham? Talk about a clutch kick.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    How good was that left foot goal from 50 from Melksham? Talk about a clutch kick.
    Yeah it was. He is a much much better player than I thought he was. Dees have done really well in getting Hibbard and Melksham from Essendon.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yeah it was. He is a much much better player than I thought he was. Dees have done really well in getting Hibbard and Melksham from Essendon.
    Kind of got bashed from all angles when they took Melksham, I probably would have thrown the boots in as well but he's been great for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

I actually saw the game completely differently. Hawthorn dominated field position for most of the 1st half, but panicked so many times in F50 and missed many easy opportunities. The game was even in the first 15 minutes of the 3rd and then Gunston's dreadful miss, which would have reduced the margin to 9 points, completely changed the game - Melbourne piled on 3 goals in the last 3 minutes to open up a 5 goal lead at 3/4 time. Then they were completely dominated by Hawthorn for the first 20 minutes of the last qtr, who again missed a number of great chances in F50. To be fair, Melbourne's last 8 minutes were exceptional when the Hawks got to within 2 goals, but the gulf in class this year between Hawthorn and West Coke/Richmond is vast.

Even though the final margin was bigger this week, I reckon last week flattered Geelong (Melbourne dominated them everywhere except the scoreboard) and this week flattered Melbourne big time.

If Melbourne play like that next week they will lose by 10 goals.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I see him as almost the perfect ten to eighteen spot guy. Not a star, but you can usually rely on his intensity and output.

I think he got ridiculed a bit because he does have that punchable mug, but he's a fine player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I actually saw the game completely differently. Hawthorn dominated field position for most of the 1st half, but panicked so many times in F50 and missed many easy opportunities. The game was even in the first 15 minutes of the 3rd and then Gunston's dreadful miss, which would have reduced the margin to 9 points, completely changed the game - Melbourne piled on 3 goals in the last 3 minutes to open up a 5 goal lead at 3/4 time. Then they were completely dominated by Hawthorn for the first 20 minutes of the last qtr, who again missed a number of great chances in F50. To be fair, Melbourne's last 8 minutes were exceptional when the Hawks got to within 2 goals, but the gulf in class this year between Hawthorn and West Coke/Richmond is vast.

Even though the final margin was bigger this week, I reckon last week flattered Geelong (Melbourne dominated them everywhere except the scoreboard) and this week flattered Melbourne big time.

If Melbourne play like that next week they will lose by 10 goals.
    I know different eyes see different things, but when Melksham kicked the left foot goal the quarter had only been going about 12 minutes. Hawthorn never threatened again. Melbourne dominated at the last 20 minutes.

I concede that the Gunston miss late in the third was huge, but those 2 low contact frees in the last gave Hawthorn more chance than they earned.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaaa the AFEL still think this shit is funny.

I can't wait until he kicks someone's throat in half and we can all revisit this schtick and have a nice old cack.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I actually saw the game completely differently.
    I’m with you Sedat. Hawks were awesome and just kept coming...right up until the Melksham left foot goal. In the last q, Melbourne simply could not exit the ball from f50 and hawthorn’s inability to convert was reminiscent of the 2017 Bulldogs!

McEvoy was fantastic...hawks very good around the clearances but reluctance to just KICK it forward allowed Melbourne’s defensive +1 (oftentimes Lewis) to get involved and impact off the back of the square/contest.

I still say Hawks are good and the biggest factor in their poor outcome after half time last week was the weather which suited the Tigers pressure and hindered the Hawthorn possession style of footy.

In any case, it was a great game and it was really ‘game on’ until the last 6mins or so.

The commentary though...this season we have reached an all time low with ‘story board’ commentary. Last night Melbourne were clearly the story...Tyson caught in a tackle and spun 360degrees at CHB. Flung it from the tackle, dees pick it up, transition chain, goal. No comment. Contact below the knees vs hawks by Lewis? 5 minutes (the game be damned) on what a terrible decision it was. Call out the players names and leave the story telling to the guys on the field.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes Topdog, Sedat, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Hahaaa the AFEL still think this shit is funny.

I can't wait until he kicks someone's throat in half and we can all revisit this schtick and have a nice old cack.
    Find it distasteful and disgraceful that the AFL are publicising the game with reference to Greene's marking tactics.
    The feral $#@% should be getting weeks and punished not lauded for his actions.
    Once again, AFL House has no @#$%ing idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The commentary though...this season we have reached an all time low with ‘story board’ commentary. Last night Melbourne were clearly the story...Tyson caught in a tackle and spun 360degrees at CHB. Flung it from the tackle, dees pick it up, transition chain, goal. No comment. Contact below the knees vs hawks by Lewis? 5 minutes (the game be damned) on what a terrible decision it was. Call out the players names and leave the story telling to the guys on the field.
    Ahh yes, the dreaded 'narrarive'. I hate this concept so much and Ch 7 (unsurprisingly) are by far the worst culprits. It extends to players as well as clubs - last night Jack Viney was the prodigal son who could do no wrong even when executing a simple skill.

Not sure if anyone caught last night that Melbourne like to play 'chaos' football and Hawthorn 'control' football. Luckily we had BT and Ling reminding us 300 times over the course of the match. Ch 7 are just a bunch of pricks who use the actual game as a vehicle to promote their deadshit personalities - they make the simple pleasure of watching a game of footy almost unbearable, and they don't give a shit because they know we have no choice other than to listen to their asshole commentators.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I turned the sound off after quarter time and it was so much more bearable. Ling and Bruce are silly, inane sychophants. Brian has the IQ and vocabulary of a 3 yo. Gotta say this year’s finals are kinda boring-last week’s wet toast vs pies an ok game but the other few I have watched bits of are a yawnfest IMO. And Barnsey for half time entertainment - stick him back in the formalin jar ple-e-e-ease.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    And Barnsey for half time entertainment - stick him back in the formalin jar ple-e-e-ease.....
    My only problem with Jimmy is that his voice is shot. As far as actual relevant star quality goes he's a good choice.

Cold Chisel a better choice. Bow River would be unbelievable.

Would also love ACDC or Midnight Oil, but maybe that's a bridge too far.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Collingwood. I like a lot of their players and I like the way they play.

That Mihocek kid has been a find.