Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  159
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Final Series

It was so good to see Collingwood lose in such a tragic fashion. Kick the first five goals of the game. Concede the biggest GF comeback since 1984 (so good for those of us who missed the 1970 capitulation). To only be behind for 8 minutes all day and concede the lead to the latest goal to put a team in front of a GF since 1940. What a clutch goal from Sheed. Just a thing of beauty.

Gee whiz I enjoyed that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I bet Brisbane fans wouldn’t see it the same way.

There seems to be almost unanimous widespread vitriol on this board for the way Griff left us (after giving his all for many years) and I would argue that the way Buckley treated Brisbane was much, much worse.
    Buckley told Brisbane from before they drafted him that he would fulfill his initial contract and then he was moving to Victoria. The Bears backed themselves in to convince him to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Agree. He's gone out of his way to support us on several occasions. Bulldog supporters shouldn't have an issue with him.

He was genuinely excited for us when we won in 2016.

He was indeed. I walked past the booth he was broadcasting from after the game and you could have been excused for thinking that Ed was a bulldog supporter he was so pumped up. I can remember him sayimg that we were 'the kings of Melbourne' for the next six months.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Buckley told Brisbane from before they drafted him that he would fulfill his initial contract and then he was moving to Victoria. The Bears backed themselves in to convince him to stay.
    Not quite. Brisbane drafted him in 1991 and he outright refused to go. He stayed at Port Adelaide for the 1992 season instead (winning a premiership and the Margarey).

Brisbane made him a deal that if he came and played one season and didn’t like it they would let him go to the club of his choice the next year. They were obviously thinking once they had him up there they might be able to win him over. It didn’t work and he walked after playing almost every game and winning the rising star.

He has been quoted as saying he wanted to go to the “biggest club in the land to win premierships” and there is some delicious irony that Brisbane beat them in two Grand finals. There was also rumours that he had agreed to terms with NM but flipped to Collingwood at the 11th hour and, again, North got a few flags in his playing days.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 30-09-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=The Adelaide Connection;618629]
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Not quite. Brisbane drafted him in 1991 and he outright refused to go. He stayed at Port Adelaide for the 1992 season instead (winning a premiership and the Margarey).

Brisbane made him a deal that if he came and played one season and didn’t like it they would let him go to the club of his choice the next year. They were obviously thinking once they had him up there they might be able to win him over. It didn’t work and he walked after playing almost every game and winning the rising star.

He has been quoted as saying he wanted to go to the “biggest club in the land to win premierships” and there is some delicious irony that Brisbane beat them in two Grand finals. There was also rumours that he had agreed to terms with NM but flipped to Collingwood at the 11th hour and, again, North got a few flags in his playing days.
    Cheers for that. I liked the story that Buckley told about how when he dudded North and went to Collingwood that Pagan told the playing group that they should look at it as a personal insult and that every time North played Collingwood the players should always go the extra mile to make Buckley's day miserable. And the North Melbourne player who always put his hand up to follow Buckley everywhere and really get in his face? Adam Simpson...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Twodogs;618630]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

Cheers for that. I liked the story that Buckley told about how when he dudded North and went to Collingwood that Pagan told the playing group that they should look at it as a personal insult and that every time North played Collingwood the players should always go the extra mile to make Buckley's day miserable. And the North Melbourne player who always put his hand up to follow Buckley everywhere and really get in his face? Adam Simpson...
    If the north story is true , then it’s an amazing irony that Simpson won . The karma bus Football gods

Well done to west coke they played really well . They’ve been up there since 2015, so they are doing a lot of things right

Our 2016 premiership even more special as we won ALL our interstate finals and beat the eagles in thier competitive era

Post Thanks / Like

If someone told you the Eagles would win a flag in 2018 without NicNat & Gaff, you'd think they were nuts. Massive effort.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me why Buckley moved Greenwood off Yeo?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Wasn't he shifted onto Shuey?

That went well.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Poor coaching. Shuey is an inside bull who is very difficult to tag at the best of times, and Greenwood was doing a very effective job on Yeo in the first quarter and a half. End result was Yeo got off the chain, Shuey kept on dominating in close and Greenwood was offering nothing defensively or offensively and became a virtual spectator.

Bucks had a poor day in the box. Collingwood skunked out the back for most of their first 5 goals due primarily to horrendous Eagles errors and were then dominated for most of the remainder of the match. They couldn’t get De Goey isolated deep forward where he looked so dangerous and they failed to stop McGovern and Barrass from controlling the air in D50.

Pies also had a mare at selection - one of Moore or Reid simply had to play in the GF. All of Thomas, WHE and Stephenson had quiet finals and one of them should have made way for a key defender. Was asking far too much of Goldsack, Howe and Langdon to play key position for 120 minutes and so it proved. Team balance was perfect against Richmond but needed the be changed to combat West Coke’s aerial strengths. Pies were incredibly lucky to almost win to be frank.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Was just looking through some pick swaps from past trade periods.
    2013 Pies swapped pick 11,31,49 for Eagles pick 6 and 44.

That pick 11 .
    Dom Sheed.

31 was Karpany , 49 was Main (delisted without a game).

Pies got Scharenberg with 6.

Pick 44 they traded to Sydney for Jessie White.

Sydney turned that pick 44 into Aliir Aliir.

12. Likes choconmientay, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/77...s-201808170433

Most recent Roy Morgan poll on AFL supporters during the finals series, first done since our 2016 win. We increased our supporter base by a whopping +41% after 2016. Sydney doing amazingly well given its location.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

14. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, Max469 liked this post