Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Your Hateful 8, Plus another Hateful 9

So that's a hateful 17 clubs. In your ranking order, 1 being the hated most, to 17 being not giving a *!*!*!*! about anything about them. I hear many posters mention how much they hate a team, I'd like to understand where in the scale they are.

1. Essendon - Hate everything about them.
    2. Adelaide - While 1997 and 1998 is now soothed pain, that imprint is on my brain.
    3. Carlton - Cheating arseholes at every level of that club.
    4. St Kilda - Don't like them. Especially a cheat diving after half time.
    5. Geelong - Go *!*!*!*! yourselves.
    6. GWS - See above.
    7. North - Old fashioned rivalry.
    8. Collingwood - Don't hate them as much as others. I'm pretty meh.
    9. Richmond - See above.
    10. Hawthorn - Heading from meh into ambivalence.
    11. Sydney - They helped us win a premiership. I like that.
    12. Melbourne - They've done nothing recently to form an opinion about much.
    13. WCE - Meh.
    14. Port - Yawn.
    15. Brisbane - They're still around?
    16. Freo - So many fans, not any results. Easy to ignore.
    17. Gold Coast - I give them three years or less to fold.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 08-09-2018 at 08:25 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Hateful 8, Plus another Hateful 9

I will need to give it more thought, because it changes regularly depending on what is happening.

Essendon have assumed my top spot since the drug saga, due to their reaction to being caught out.

Geelong are probably second, which is due to their sense of entitlement and the preferential treatment afforded to the likes of Joel Selwood.

Carlton remain high on the list, but they are becoming such an irrelevance it is just merely enjoyable to see the karma biting strongly at Jack Elliott and Ian Collins.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I will need to give it more thought, because it changes regularly depending on what is happening.

Essendon have assumed my top spot since the drug saga, due to their reaction to being caught out.

Geelong are probably second, which is due to their sense of entitlement and the preferential treatment afforded to the likes of Joel Selwood.

Carlton remain high on the list, but they are becoming such an irrelevance it is just merely enjoyable to see the karma biting strongly at Jack Elliott and Ian Collins.
    I started the thread after trying to line up my most hated in order. You're right it changes, although as much as I want Adelaide to slide down the order and get GWS higher. I just can't. But some never change...

I'm going go guess the popular stereotype that Collingwood is the most hated club, isn't correct. Amongst us anyway. But that's a guess.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I started the thread after trying to line up my most hated in order. You're right it changes, although as much as I want Adelaide to slide down the order and get GWS higher. I just can't. But some never change...

I'm going go guess the popular stereotype that Collingwood is the most hated club, isn't correct. Amongst us anyway. But that's a guess.
    This year I am feeling much more generous towards Collingwood. They haven`t really done anything in a long time to upset me from a Bulldog perspective. I was even happy today to see GWS flog Sydney.

Sydney have moved up my hated list since the 2016 GF due to the ongoing moaning from Longmire, who never gave us the credit we deserved for winning the flag.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

6. Likes azabob, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. GWS- Hate everything about them. Every. Single. Thing.
    2. Essendon - 2013, and their 'hard-done-by' attitude about this self-inflicted pain.
    3. Richmond - I don't want them to win it again. I want everyone to spend the next year discussing how THEY have a premiership hangover. I don't want to live in a world where Richmond are a good team.
    4. Melbourne - Such arrogance - especially galling because they've done nothing in over a decade. Don't rate them, don't like them.
    5. Collingwood - Because they're Collingwood.
    6. North - I just find them very unlikeable.
    7. Adelaide - Stemming from my own involvement in sporting VIC vs SA rivalries.
    8. Hawthorn - not fussed too much.
    9. Geelong - rapidly falling off the cliff, which makes their unending arrogance sickening.
    10. WCE - Don't like them (again, my own sport experiences and a VIC vs WA hatred.
    11.Sydney - My uncle played for the Bloods, so I have a soft spot.
    12. Carlton - They're so crap I find them harmless.
    13. St Kilda - don't really think about them except when we play them.
    14. Port - I like their colours, that's about all I think about them
    15. Brisbane - don't care.
    16. Freo - don't care.
    17. Gold Coast - split them up, give their players to other teams.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

8. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really like Melbourne, North or Essendon, otherwise I'm ambivalent or don't care about most other teams. I quite like Collingwood and don't mind Richmond.

Hatred requires energy, and I don't care to have the energy to hate other teams.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Equal first Essendon and Carlton - more to come when I get a chance
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Geelong - Our awful win/loss ratio doesn’t help. Way over represented by awful AFL media people, Harry Taylor & supporters
    2. Hawthorn - Right in my face out east for many a decade; Prolonged arrogance of their supporter base
    3. Carlton - Has been a golden period for opposition supporters; Fully aware though of their latent arrogant supporters; John Elliott
    4. GWS - AFL gift horse; Artificial flavour 0418; Toby Greene; Jeremy Cameron; Ward / Griffen departure; Slightly offset by Leon
    5. Essendon - Disreputed, Drugs, Cheats etc. Very juevenile / immature fan base; Adrian Dedoro
    6. North - Prolonged period of faux thugs; Imbred fan base; Slightly offset by Ben Brown (just like him)
    7. WCE - Another fabricated side; Largely in my top 8 for home game fan ignorance / arrogance
    8. Adelaide - Tough one. Prior to our 2016 would’ve been top 4; Talia / Stringer; Weirdly starting to feel for their troubles/drop off
    9. Richmond - Where else can Richmond sit just to recall the good ‘ol days where they owned 9th; Judas Brown offset by his leg
    10. St.Kilda - No strong reason just never liked them much; When we’re crap, they’re crap and fighting for who’s least crap; Nick Riewoldt; Luke Penny
    11. Melbourne - Our alternative universe; the silver spooners; white v blue collar; Hogan; Offset by Jones & Crossy
    12. Brisbane - Their early 2000 dominance / player arrogance; Alistair Lynch “Choke” on Westy; Scott Brothers; Offset by Fitzroy & father grew up as Roy’s fan
    13. Gold Coast - AFL gift horse; Plastic but completely stuffed / insignificant; Harbrow exit
    14. Sydney - Respect but have lead special AFL entitlements for years; COLA; Swans Academy etc; Paul Roos, Longmire Pressers
    15. Fremantle - Insignificant all-round; Hamling departure; Home ground advantage
    16. Port - They feel a bit like our cousins. Their fans are a bit unruly but then I would be criticising our own
    17. Collingwood - Mother’s side of family - Grandparents Magpie fans, genuine soft spot I’m afraid. Go Pies

12. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood was the most hated by everyone except Collingwood fans when their was no interstate teams.
    The interstate teams did the pies a favour in that regard.
    Collingwood grew on me when I learnt they were right behind us in stopping the merger, and their history showed they were working class.
    Actually us and them are of very similar ilk.
    I believe at club and board level we are actually very close knit as far as opposing clubs go, it’s only the fans that find them hard to like.
    My number 1 is Essendon followed by Carlton? I guess it’s because of the white collar arrogance and I’m a working class man.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I pride myself in being able to find a reason to dislike any team when we’re about to play them. But it’s Essendon every time with the number one ranking (pity they haven’t been number one at anything else, apart from cheating, for nearly 2 decades).

2. GWS. Does this need an explanation? If it wasn’t their artificiality, it is their arrogant and entitled players. Special mention: Leon Cameron and Callan Ward posing with Griff8n and an unfunny sledge about the dog house on Twitter. Extra special mention: Toby Greene, Jono Patten mocking Lewis Young, and Jeremy Punchable Head Cameron.
    3. north with their squad of fake tough guys. And Brad Scott.
    4. Geelong with the Sook Selwood, their ridiculous govt funding and yet having the temerity to charge a fortune to sit in the grandstands we’ve funded. And Chris Scott.
    5. Carlton. You have to be a certain age to remember their arrogance, their cheating, and John Elliott. Despicable club now getting their just desserts.
    6. Adelaide. For THOSE preliminaries. And there’s a special place in hell for the middle aged woman who made her way over to my crying children to wave her scarf in their face in 97. Classy.
    7. Hawthorn. For the guy who after their three peat couldn’t remember how many flags he’d personally seen, this one’s for you.
    8. Melbourne. Cocksure players, culture of cheating. Wait to see if they win another final. They’ll be insufferable.
    9. Eagles. Another Suss flag given their drug culture. Their fans booing every single thing - they’re close to the worst ever.
    10. ST K. For breaking our hearts in those prelims, the Rievolting dive, and their rotten culture
    11. Richmond. Their cheer squad used to chan Ho..Ho..homosexual at players they didn’t like.
    12. Sydney. A hangover from the ch 7 days when Lou Richards and Peter Landry talked them up incessantly. Ungraciousness of Longmire after the flag.
    13. Freo. Two words.Ross Lyon.
    14. Port. I’m running out of steam here. Um, I’ve never liked Charlie Dixon for some reason.
    15. Collingwood. Since their cheer squad marched into our fight back rally, I’ve never been able to muster as much hatred, though hem booing Brad Johnson in his 2nd last game could always make me reconsider.
    16. Brisbane. An irrelevance now . But Alistair Lynch choking gesture to Scott West can always be relied upon to ignite the anger.
    17. GC - their colours are silly. and Steven May.

There you have it. There is always SOMETHING to hate if you look hard enough.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

15. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes josie, Go_Dogs, bornadog, Grantysghost, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favourite posts of the year The Bulldog Tragacian.

I don't think we give enough credit to the behaviour of the Adelaide fans at the MCG, Prelim day 1997. Complete arseholes. It took everything not to punch some of them. Although when others couldn't restrain themselves, and I don't condone violence, it was a little satisfying being honest.

17. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Top three surely has to be Essendon (endangering your players is way worse than any of the other more petty on field issues) GWS and Carlton, in that order.

Post Thanks / Like

1. North Melbourne. Their players, supporters and administration have sex with cows. Plus I hate bullies and faux tough guys make me laugh. Did somebody say Shaun Higgins? Oh no but someone did say faux tough guy, pretty much the same thing.
    2. Essendon. A pissy little suburb that isn't even the most important or significant location in their municipality (or even the third most important) and they want to pretend that the Tullamarine bombers has some connection to them. Just *!*!*!*! off. Losers.
    3. Richmond. Arrogant, entitled and lucky. That is all.
    4. Carlton. The liberal party's favorite club. I hope the Tories are enjoying all those wooden spoons.
    5. Geelong. Buck toothed, red headed, brace wearing dickheads. And they are their good points.
    6.GWS. The official AFL supported club. Their players can do what they like (such as kicking other players in the face, but don't dare push one over because it may just cost you your career (hello Redders)) They aren't my most hated club. Yet. Give it time.
    7. Hawthorn. Those pretentious supporters! Give me a break.
    8. St Kilda. Their ducking, diving, cheating captain. Cost us a GF spot but WE still won a flag before them (and Rievoldt will never win won now) so how do you like that!
    9. Collingwood. They think they are a huge superpower. I don't but bless 'em for still thinking it!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

1. GWS

I hate everything about them. I hate what they represent, their colours, their song, their location, the way they were formed. In fact I've hated them since they were a glint in the AFL's eye. Don't get me started on some of the players.

2. Essendon

The drugs saga, James Hird, the whole thing and what they did to football. I used to really admire them in the mid 80's

3. Carlton

I love the position they are in and hope they win as many spoons as they have premierships. Once feared and respected they have become nothing more than a bunch of arrgonant flogs & cheats.

4. The next batch I have hated the most at different times because

- Collingwood, the Shaw's, the supporters, their self importance. I loved the Colliwobbles.
    - Hawthorn, my Dad and a best mate supported them and they kept appearing in grand finals
    - Sydney Swans, the Edelstein era
    - Geelong, hated them as a kid and nothing has changed. I hate when we play them in finals.
    - West Coast, I hated how they were given premierships on a platter when they were formed. I liked how we used to stand up to them in the 90's particularly
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

1. Dees - Fake woke private school wankers who lose on purpose and are obviously dying to take 12 months off from footy to travel around South America on their parents' coin. Lose on purpose. Supported by a base of people who honestly believe in the altruism of their club yet remain deathly afraid of poor people. Lose on purpose. Cannot stand this club.

2. Hawthorn - see above but at least they win. Special mention to the 60 year old guy in a pink shirt unbuttoned to his navel, obviously unable to deal with actually losing a big game for once, who asked me at the 2016 semi if my mum was single - in front of my mum. Glenferrie Road sucks.

3. GWS - Hypothetically, if given unlimited resources, finances, access to the best young architects in the world, and total support from local government, is it really that impressive of a top-tier architecture firm to construct a bridge? Of course not. Everything this club ever achieves doesn't count, and was constructed on the backbreaking labour of all other clubs. They are capitalism's vomit.

4. Carlton - who has the tragic history now? Dickheads. Chris Judd is a Jordan Peterson disciple and a moron.

5. St Kilda - league leaders in sexual assault and elite at setting people on fire. Would be higher if I didn't take so much humour in their on-field output and list management.

6. Essendon - are only capable of being competitive when they cheat. James Hird is a coward. No human should be as red in the face as Kevin Sheedy is and still be alive.

7. Geelong - the only game I've ever been to at Goomba Stadium I got mooned and called a "homo", which is somewhat interesting logic. Geelong is the worst place in the world and their obsession with their football team is psychotic. Dangerwoodlett is a bust. I never rated Dahlhaus anyway.

8. Adelaide - HURR DURR POWERSTANCE WE LEAVE OUR PLAYERS IN THE DESERT AND TELL THEM THEIR PARENTS DON'T LOVE THEM. SA footy is so weird and cooked. Absolutely cannot get it done when it counts. Produce better shock jocks than footballers.

9. Power - see above. Of COURSE Jarrad Polec didn't want any of you freaks at his wedding. Kane Cornes is an immature baby who has admitted to being disgusted by the word clitoris.

10. Collingwood - Eddie McGuire is just footballing Donald Trump with less money.

11. Sydney - Bloods culture is a lie and players only want to play for Sydney so they can be anonymous and do their coke in peace.

12. Richmond - Nathan Brown deserved it.

13. West Coast - racist fan base who started the Goodes booing and legitimately believe Andrew Gaff and Ben Cousins are the real victims in their respective situations. Single-handedly responsible for Ice being ASADA-black listed.

14. Freo - violent fan base who take to punching women when their team loses. I personally cannot wait for Ross Lyon to be offered big money by Carlton, just to see exactly how pathetic a club can truly get.

15. Gold Coast - remember what I said about GWS with the architecture firm analogy? Well imagine if the bridge collapsed - now THAT'S impressive. In spite of about 700 first round draft picks Jarrod Witts, an overweight delisted free agent, is their best player.

16. North - so irrelevant I forgot to put them on the list. Tried to leverage their inability to secure poker licenses into some sort of anti-pokies stance, which is equal parts hilarious and pathetic. Should have just moved to the Gold Coast so less people would be embarrassed by them.

17. Brisbane - I like Brisbane! They never play any defence or win any games. They're absolutely adorable.
    Last edited by Happy Days; 09-09-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

22. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post