Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: 2018 Draft

Post Thanks / Like

AFLW Draft

Tessa Boyd (Tom's sister)

Last edited by bornadog; 05-08-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Bulldog Revolution, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Draft

5 picks confirmed so far

Eleanor Brown at pick 10 from Sandy Dragons
    Aisling McCarthy at pick 23 from Ireland
    Kate Bartlett at pick 26 from Peel Thunderbirds
    Selena Karlson at pick 34 from Southern Saints
    Jessie Davies at pick 46 from Western Bulldogs
    Last edited by GVGjr; 23-10-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Updated.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I noticed about the AFLW draft is that most teams seemed to select from their home state for the vast majority of picks. Makes sense given the length of the season and difficulty in moving for a relatively small amount of money. Then we go and take women from not just the other side of the country but also the other side of the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    One thing I noticed about the AFLW draft is that most teams seemed to select from their home state for the vast majority of picks. Makes sense given the length of the season and difficulty in moving for a relatively small amount of money. Then we go and take women from not just the other side of the country but also the other side of the world.
    That would be because due to the lack of professional contracts when girls nominate for the draft they nominate for a state or location. That means a girl who lives in Melbourne can nominate for Victoria, or a girl from Perth can nominate WA. In a lot of ways it makes the draft redundant. Ie. Fremantle have no competition for the WA girls and can't steal the girls from interstate so regardless of if they have pick 1 or 100 they are getting the best girl in WA.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Likes divvydan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    That would be because due to the lack of professional contracts when girls nominate for the draft they nominate for a state or location. That means a girl who lives in Melbourne can nominate for Victoria, or a girl from Perth can nominate WA. In a lot of ways it makes the draft redundant. Ie. Fremantle have no competition for the WA girls and can't steal the girls from interstate so regardless of if they have pick 1 or 100 they are getting the best girl in WA.
    With Freo and the Crows at the moment, the battle beforehand is with interstate club's trying to get players to nominate for another state (which has happened a few times).

But the main issue is that the AFL(M) are reluctant to make the season any longer, or to pay the female players any more, both of which are very short-sighted policies I think.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see we picked up Jessie Davies with our final pick - it's similar to getting Billy Gowers (and many others from Footscray/Willi/Werribee), in that she's done well for the Spurs, and now for our VFLW team.

I suspect we'll get one or more rookies from our VFLW team as well (which worked gloriously last season with Naomi Ferres).
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

West Coast also made a significant addition to its midfield, adding Aisling McCarthy from the Western Bulldogs in return for pick 16, the Eagles' "competition assistance" selection which had to be on-traded.

Picks two and three also swapped as part of the deal, meaning the Dogs will now take the second selection both overall and in the Victorian pool, while the Eagles now have pick three overall but maintain the first selection in the Western Australian pool.

The move ensures no other Victorian club can now jump between the Bulldogs and Richmond (at pick one) by trading with the Eagles.

McCarthy took her game to a whole new level in 2020, moving from the forward line to the midfield and finishing fourth in the club's best and fairest. She had told the club she wished to move to Western Australia.
    LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Why the hell did Aisling want to go to WA?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Why have so many of our good players left over recent years?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the Womens comp is very unsettled and I wonder if all these girls moving around is chasing cash.
    McCarthy was a promising player and it's a shame to lose her.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I asked myself that exact question.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you stay in Victoria?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

It is possible she knows people there, but it is pretty difficult to get into Victoria at present and then go anywhere else.

I have several reasons to go to Victoria but currently it would cost me $3k and at least 2 weeks just to get back out.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    It is possible she knows people there, but it is pretty difficult to get into Victoria at present and then go anywhere else.

I have several reasons to go to Victoria but currently it would cost me $3k and at least 2 weeks just to get back out.
    Hopefully this is just temporary

Post Thanks / Like

If she wanted to go to another Melbourne team you would ask questions but if she specifically wanted a trade to WA it's fairly likely there are outside factors at play. It's not like they get paid much so work and other considerations are important.