Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Wallis turns his back on free agency to sign long-term deal with Western Bulldogs

WESTERN Bulldogs midfielder Mitch Wallis declared “Bulldogs has always been in my blood” as he turned his back on free agency.

The Herald Sun can reveal Wallis has re-signed for three years at Whitten Oval and sets his sights on becoming a leader for one of the youngest lists in the AFL.

Wallis’s signature leaves teammate Jordan Roughead, West Coast’s Andrew Gaff and Scott Lycett and Geelong’s Dan Menzel as the only in-demand free agents still weighing up their options.

Brisbane Lions were confident of luring Wallis, 25, while it is believed Essendon and Carlton also made inquiries.
    “The nature of the business is there’s people after you and you’d be silly not to exercise your rights to have chats,” Wallis told the Herald Sun.

“But it was always in my head it was going to be Bulldogs, it was just about coming to a deal we were happy with.

Mitch Wallis celebrates a Bulldogs goal.

“Bulldogs has always been in my blood – it’s who I am. Emily, my fiancé, was the first to find out and then I rang mum and dad straight away.

“They’re obviously Bulldog people and dad has a very strong connection to this club. To sign this deal and hopefully stay a Bulldog forever means the world to him, and means the world to me.”

Wallis was on stage to induct his father, former captain Steve Wallis, into the Bulldogs’ Hall of Fame at the club’s season launch this year.
    Wallis weighed up his future while holidaying in Noosa with teammates this month.

“In my head I decided a couple of weeks ago,” Wallis said.

“But I promised myself and my manager and my family that I’d go through a process at the end of the year where I’d relax and get away from footy for a bit.

“You can nearly break this year up into parts. I battled a few injuries early in the season and then got dropped halfway through the year, which was disappointing.

Mitch Wallis chases the loose footy. Picture: Michael Klein

“I tried to move on as quickly as I could, but it did hurt a bit. And then the pressure was on, really.
    “I’ve never been in that uncomfortable position before, because of obviously never being out of contract like that.

“But I felt like my form was pretty consistent for the last 12 weeks.”

Wallis booted 20.3 to finish third on the club’s goalkicking this year, bettering the 15.13 he kicked in 2015.

Wallis was hopeful close mate Tom Liberatore, who suffered an ACL injury in Round 1, would also recommit.

“I did (speak to him) during the season, but as soon as the season finishes Libba’s one to go on a holiday,” Wallis said.

Tom Liberatore celebrates a goal with Mitch Wallis.

“He took off straight away, so I haven’t spoken to him post-playing. But he obviously has a lot of the same family ties and emotional ties to the club, so I hope he follows suit and signs on.”

The Dogs will have vacancies in their leadership group next year given Jack Redpath’s retirement and Roughead’s likely defection to the Eagles.

Wallis said he wanted to teach a balanced approach to football.

“Leadership is a massive part of my character and what I think I can bring to the club,” he said.

“With new draftees coming in we could be younger again, so being an experienced player on our list – along with Easton (Wood) and Marcus (Bontempelli) and Lachie (Hunter) – it’s our job to make it easier for these younger kids and teach them the right ways.”

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mitch Wallis turns his back on free agency to sign long-term deal with Western Bulldogs

Good on you Mitch.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mitch Wallis turns his back on free agency to sign long-term deal with Western Bulldogs

This just HAD to happen. Now let’s get Wally the flag he missed.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

"Bulldogs has always been in my blood"

He *!*!*!*!ing gets it. He just *!*!*!*!ing gets it exactly.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Good signing. Sometimes you don't have to have the bloke with the best kick, best mark, superb pace etc

What you need is a guy you know will bleed for the jumper

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad Mitch is staying. He's a heart and soul player.
    No doubt he's knocked back coin to stay. The club is in his DNA and that is an intangible that is as valuable as other physical traits. It helps bind a club together, it provides impetus and belief in key moments.
    I look forward to seeing Mitch and hopefully Libba too run around for years to come in our colours.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, good signing - what you get on the field is only part of the equation with Mitch - and personally Id prefer to gamble on his kind to find a way to make it happen

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very happy

Great news!

He was in form in the latter part of the season and found the goals quite a bit. I would have been dissapointed to have lost him.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Good signing. Sometimes you don't have to have the bloke with the best kick, best mark, superb pace etc

What you need is a guy you know will bleed for the jumper
    Very true in regards to Mitch. It is good to see loyalty around still.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I have just noticed on the club website that Mitch was 5th in the season tackle count. Considering the number of games he spent at VFL level this year, I think it says a lot about his work ethic and defensive forward game.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

11. Likes Mofra, Testekill, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news Mitch re-signing

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Mitch has been excellent the first two weeks of this season. He seems to have changed his body shape a bit and is better on the spread.

He was good on Sunday with 29 disposals, 5 centre clearances and a nice goal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Mitch has been excellent the first two weeks of this season. He seems to have changed his body shape a bit and is better on the spread.

He was good on Sunday with 29 disposals, 5 centre clearances and a nice goal.
    Agree BAD. All our mids are killing it at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

I just find it really funny that Essendon are crying out for a quality inside mid and turned their nose up at both Libba and Wallis. Libba is killing it and Wallis is also in a really good run of form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    I just find it really funny that Essendon are crying out for a quality inside mid and turned their nose up at both Libba and Wallis. Libba is killing it and Wallis is also in a really good run of form.
    Essendon courted Wallis and used their connections with Steve, they know he'd be perfect for them.

After two years of 'winning trade week' they are stone motherless last with no first round pick this year. Mitch dodged a bullet.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes Testekill liked this post