Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  321
Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chad Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Chad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Wouldn't Wingard be worth about the same as we got for Stringer last year?
    Only if some revelations come out to hurt his value and only one club are really interested due to those revelations.

Also Wingard's best was better than Stringer's and his worst has been no where near as bad.

Wingard will also be on a significantly better contact than Stringer.

No matter which way you look at it Wingard is worth more unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the Bulldogs In The Box Seat to Land Power Star Chad Wingard? (Aflnation.com.au/SEN)

"SEN Time On host Sam McClure says that the Western Bulldogs are in the most favourable position to land Port Adelaide star Chad Wingard...

The Western Bulldogs can give more in as far as a deal because they put pick six on the table, and they can also pay him a little bit more because of their salary cap room..."

So pick 6 on the table and 5 years on maybe around $850,000 to The Chad. He's right, it's a strong hand. Now nominate us already please Chad.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 27-09-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Thai Pho
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Are the Bulldogs In The Box Seat to Land Power Star Chad Wingard? (Aflnation.com.au/SEN)

"SEN Time On host Sam McClure says that the Western Bulldogs are in the most favourable position to land Port Adelaide star Chad Wingard...

The Western Bulldogs can give more in as far as a deal because they put pick six on the table, and they can also pay him a little bit more because of their salary cap room..."

So pick 6 on the table and 5 years on maybe around $850,000 to The Chad. He's right, it's a strong hand. Now nominate is already please Chad.
    What salary cap room? Tom Boyd's forced out all our good players.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    What salary cap room? Tom Boyd's forced out all our good players.
    I know. Fuller, Hamilton & NMM all had to go. I can't believe people in the media are talking like this, it's one sided.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I've had a look at the draft order and I think if Chad nominates us there's a really good way for both clubs to walk away 'winning' on the trade side, leaving the player aside.

McClure says we've put pick 6 on the table, and Hinkley says they want more. Because of their depth of mid range picks with draft points we could use the system to benefit each other. It goes something like this:

Pick 6 and Dahl compo Pick 19/25. But they trade us (after shuffling down) pick 29, 50 & 51

In the case of getting Pick 19 Dahl compo, Hinkley & Port tell the world the dogs gave them two first rounders, one a very good single digit pick (true). In the case of pick 25, they got a very good single digit first rounder and an early second rounder (true). Port #winning.

It takes their overall position to picks 6, 9, 10 (Polec), 19/25, 21 and Lycett as a free agent and SPP if a trade is done. 5 draft picks inside the top 21/25, plus Lycett. That's a fast track rebuild so the late picks to us benefits them, but giving up the low pick doesn't hurt us as we are using them on West & Khamis.

So by sending back 29, 50, 51 & with our picks 44 & 45 (this hopefully third round Roughy compo) with picks 64 & 65 gives us around 2,000 draft points. More than enough points to take West high (Pick 15 is 1,112 points) and Khamis mid range (Pick 30 is 629) if needed. When we factor in the 20% discount they can both go higher, or if we want either of the other two NGAs (possibly Lachy Dawson) we've got points in the bank. Baring that perhaps we have picks 64 & 65 as back to back picks to add to the high end talent we've got coming in.

The short of it, because we want draft points and Port want more high picks and have many lower picks, there's an opportunity to beef up a trade offer to Port beyond Pick 6, but actually come out ahead on draft points which is our game primarily for West & Khamis. A win-win by using the system. When we start talking picks 6 & 19/25 for Wingard and lower picks flung back, we start putting more distance between us and Hawthorn. If our money is better also, then our hand is very strong.

Post Thanks / Like

My Brain hurts
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

8. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This might help people understand what BT is proposing

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-2...bidding-system
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    My Brain hurts
    It’s a bit like that. Simply, if Port gave us multiple mid range picks, we could give them pick 6 & 19/25, and both clubs would win the trade. Enough so that we could we could very significantly outbid Hawthorn as well as offer more cash to The Chad. There’s a real opportunity here potentially for both clubs. The picks they have, and the needs we have, this year is a perfect match if we could work together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I quite like the debate so far, strong and differing opinions are OK for discussions. One or two are willing to part with 2 first rounders, I think someone has suggested a first and second rounder and most think pick 6 is about right.

Port have also upped the ante with anyone trying to get Wingard and are placing a huge expectation on a deal to get it done.
    Then there is also the issue now of Wingard being regarded as a top 10 player in the competition meaning he should be commanding a yearly salary of 1.1 to 1.2M perhaps even more. That adds even more complexity to the potential player movement and probably rules out some clubs from being in the mix.

I'm yet to be convinced that he is worth 2 first round picks unless you are willing to pay that on potential more so than recent 'on field' results. He's been very good but a long way off exceptional in my opinion and the type of investment being mooted to acquire his services is huge.
    Perhaps 2 first round picks from the range of 14 to 18 might be an option but not if one of them is in the top 6 in what is also regarded as a strong draft.

I'm more than open to acquiring Wingard and I will be interested to see if his intention to leave is serious and what might have to be offered to get a deal done. There is plenty to play out.

I don't expect we will get a consensus on here but I'm looking forward to reading the more thoughtful comments.
    Now now G, be nice! My comment born from frustration was unfairly directed at this thread when it's the broader carry on I have an issue with.

To clarify, I guess the question I have revolves around whether Port really is upping the ante. How can they up the ante on a player they refuse to pay? Players worth 2 x first rounders are worth what Wingard is asking, but yet they won't pay that. What's the point of Hinkley's comments? Anyone within the industry would know his claims that Wingard is a potential 2 x first round and top ten AFL player quality recruit, that they won't pay, are nothing but piss and wind.

For whatever reason Wallace has also decided Wingard is worth two first rounders. I'm questioning his reasons for doing so, in fact no I'm not, he's just doing it to generate conversation for commercial purposes. He doesn't really believe that.

I don't mean to sound flippant or disingenuous, but I find a lot of the posturing and pontificating at this time of year at the professional level ridiculous, self perpetuating and counter productive. The market usually gets it right, but for some reason there's a whole bunch of stakeholders who refuse to just let it take its course and think the crap that comes out of their mouths actually influences the ultimate result and does something other than make them look desperate or completely full of it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes GVGjr, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd hope not many of us seriously think what we say will come to fruition but I do like reading and discussing the scenario's proposed

I do think Wallace is throwing his opinions out there to create conversations, perhaps Wingards manager is doing the same in an effort to get him a vastly improved deal with Port.

Since Chad's apparent availability has come too light discussions have moved away from the draft talent which for me is a bit of a shame. 12 months ago it was Naughton and a few others we were focusing on.

You're probably right, we should just let this play out and see what happens if he nominates us or not.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that's why I qualified my comments by calling out the likes of Hinkley - and make no mistake, people from our club do it too - for contradicting their positions with spurious claims for compensation on players they for whatever reason don't regard to the extent they believe the market should.

These threads are great at this time of year, especially when we're not involved in finals footy and don't have a lot going on club wise.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Only if some revelations come out to hurt his value and only one club are really interested due to those revelations.

Also Wingard's best was better than Stringer's and his worst has been no where near as bad.

Wingard will also be on a significantly better contact than Stringer.

No matter which way you look at it Wingard is worth more unfortunately.

So how do we organise his coach to come out and do something like that?

So pick 6 on the table and 5 years on maybe around $850,000 to The Chad. He's right, it's a strong hand. Now nominate us already please Chad.
    I've always said we should listen carefully to what Sam Maclure says about AFL football and trading in particular. The man is an oracle.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

AFEL.com.au

Whispers: Contracted Port Adelaide star Chad Wingard is at the top of the Bulldogs' trade wish list. The Dogs will have to come up with a trade that convinces the Power to let Wingard go with a year remaining on his contract and will face stiff competition, particularly from Hawthorn, to win his signature. But with their first draft pick falling at No.6 – the Hawks hold No.14 – and Wingard's friend and former Port teammate Jackson Trengove already at the Kennel, the Bulldogs appear well placed to get their man.

Post Thanks / Like

AFEL.com.au

Whispers: Contracted Port Adelaide star Chad Wingard is at the top of the Bulldogs' trade wish list. The Dogs will have to come up with a trade that convinces the Power to let Wingard go with a year remaining on his contract and will face stiff competition, particularly from Hawthorn, to win his signature. But with their first draft pick falling at No.6 – the Hawks hold No.14 – and Wingard's friend and former Port teammate Jackson Trengove already at the Kennel, the Bulldogs appear well placed to get their man.
    Pfft. I won't start considering it a real possibility until tradeguru69 starts tweeting about it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

18. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Pfft. I won't start considering it a real possibility until tradeguru69 starts tweeting about it.
    Tradeguru69 says the trade is for Tom Campbell, not pick 6 plus. Great trade for us.