Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  321
Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chad Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Chad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    How many kids do we need? We are already the youngest list in the comp with West and Buku to come. I'd argue we are desperate for a quality 21-26 year old.

On the flip side, we are unlikely to 'challenge' next year so from a forecasting perspective maybe we are better off taking Pick 6 to the draft, getting another year into our list and then look to trade for an established star at the end of next year.

Arguments to be made for both.
    I thought our acquisition of Schache was a great move last year, he is a player with plenty of upside and young enough so that we can hopefully have a long career with us. It's why I'm more open to getting someone that has been in the system for a couple of years but still has his best football in front of him.
    Wingard is a very good player but he is a better option for us if we feel we can get back on track next year not in two or three years time.

Wingard might be able to kick 40 goals for us which would be huge if we are going to be contenders next season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wingard is a very good player but he is a better option for us if we feel we can get back on track next year not in two or three years time.
    Both scenarios are not mutually exclusive - at 25yo, Wingard can impact both immediately and in 3+ years' time
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Both scenarios are not mutually exclusive - at 25yo, Wingard can impact both immediately and in 3+ years' time
    We have to convince him we will be playing finals next year, otherwise why would he want to come to a club and wait for 3 years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We have to convince him we will be playing finals next year, otherwise why would he want to come to a club and wait for 3 years.
    Get him to read that thing by the preeminent afel journo, Barrett, last week. Dogs & Wingard = finals so he says. And I always believe him, so The Chad should too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    To me it's more about if we should be investing the big money contract into a player two or three years before we can become a genuine chance.
    If we believe we will be a genuine contender within 12 months then no problems but to me this is all about how we gauge our list and our chances for next season.

We are coming from a fair way back and just need to have an honest assessment on where we actually are

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That's the way I see it, we need to be confident that we are in a window where we will play some finals by 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

To me it's more about if we should be investing the big money contract into a player two or three years before we can become a genuine chance.
    If we believe we will be a genuine contender within 12 months then no problems but to me this is all about how we gauge our list and our chances for next season.

We are coming from a fair way back and just need to have an honest assessment on where we actually are
    Agree wholeheartedly if Wingard was 28yo, but at his age he is a rolled gold investment for both the inmediate future and the long term
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Good call. We might also be better placed to wait (if we can't extend Bont now) so we can ensure we are well placed to offer him a contract he can't refuse.

I tend to believe we are a good chance to play finals next year and recruiting Wingard simply adds to that. We should however be live to the fact that players like Naughton, Richards, Williams etc may not have as impactful years so there's a chance we see a bit of a dip based on the output from a few younger players who had pretty solid campaigns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    if we can't extend Bont
    I've learnt to emotionally dissociate myself from connection to players, but if this were to happen I'd give up footy.

Some wounds run too deep.
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes bornadog, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching Fox Footy for the first time in quite some time - getting the feeling this Wingard thing has fizzled out.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

This just reeks of Wingard wanting port to pony up more cash with a new contract .
    I’m neither here nor there, as Hurley did the exact same thing

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to keep the pick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    This just reeks of Wingard wanting port to pony up more cash with a new contract .
    Not an unreasonable summary, though I think with Hurley he may have genuinely been on the hook and extenuating circumstances surrounding salary cap leniency yanked him from it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Watching Fox Footy for the first time in quite some time - getting the feeling this Wingard thing has fizzled out.
    If you were watching AFL360 , it was Robbo who said Wingard is going nowhere, however his manager refuted the claim. Robbo being stubborn, obviously is continuing on with it/
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Doesn't he still have a year on his current contract?

Good to have you back too, Remi.
    "It's over. It's all over."