Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  321
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chad Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Chad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I think he's worth every penny but that's not my concern. There is a lot of hysteria going on at the moment and I think a few supporters are getting a bit carried away. We face opposition from the Hawks & Saints and of course Port don't have to trade him at all. So it's a long way from being done and I can't hear a fat lady singing, yet.
    Based on his form over the last two years? He's been an average performed player during that period and a 5 year deal at 800K plus seems on the high side to me. Based on potential it's around the or at least closer to the mark.

In the last two weeks there has certainly been a rise in the number of "Chadpoles" in our supporter base.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it is we’re in a win/win situation. If we get Chad great. If not pick 6/7 will get us a gem of a player with no salary pressure.

3. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He'll have a hard time getting to the back pocket after taking the centre bounce.
    Especially with the 3/3/3 rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I bet he never saw himself as a tagger previously!
    Just let the good players take him to the contest! The Chad can take over from there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm a bit with you. I'd welcome him at the club, but with those kind of dollars I'd rather try to get Shiel.
    I actually think Shiel is a touch overrated - very good player but lacks the hurt factor of some of his teammates. Doesn't hit the scoreboard and can turn it over a bit as well. Josh Kelly on the other hand....

Wingard is an elite footballer with serious hurt factor. He can play midfield, win his own ball and of course is very dangerous in F50 and can win contests one-out. I don't see his plateau over the last couple of years as a negative, rather a positive in that he will never be as gettable as he is right here and now.

If he is committed to a move to help his career I have no problem pulling the trigger on him. I doubt money is the sole motivator - an interstate move and increased tax will wipe most of the difference between his current contract and what is proposed. He is absolutely the right age profile as well.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Based on his form over the last two years?
    His 2nd half of the season playing midfield was as good as any of his teammates. He's a jet IMO and that level of talent is always welcome at the kennel.

Let's see how it all plays out but I'm glad we are courting him. Hopefully we can land The Chad.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    His 2nd half of the season playing midfield was as good as any of his teammates. He's a jet IMO and that level of talent is always welcome at the kennel.

Let's see how it all plays out but I'm glad we are courting him. Hopefully we can land The Chad.
    Exactly, it’s a long way from a done deal. But more broadly speaking about being a destination club. Of recent times Tom Boyd threatened to walk out to come to us, Suckling turned his back on the chance at another Hawks flag, Crozier & Trengove were courted by other clubs, Trav Cloke ripped up a big contract to play with us, Schache (pick 2) came to us, Hurley was across the line until Essendon do their thing without any consequence... ‘If’ we can land Wingard, I say we are starting to put together a body of work that says we are becoming a destination club. Get back to winning and it only gets better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think Shiel is a touch overrated - very good player but lacks the hurt factor of some of his teammates. Doesn't hit the scoreboard and can turn it over a bit as well. Josh Kelly on the other hand....
    Well yeah, I'm on record as to wanting Kelly more than any other player. I even offered bornadog as steak knives in said trade. But he's not in the discussion, sadly.

I take your point re Shiel and like I said I'm perfectly comfortable/happy to go after Wingard. But if I could choose only one it would be Shiel. Just my take.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Wingard is an elite footballer with serious hurt factor. He can play midfield, win his own ball and of course is very dangerous in F50 and can win contests one-out. I don't see his plateau over the last couple of years as a negative, rather a positive in that he will never be as gettable as he is right here and now.

If he is committed to a move to help his career I have no problem pulling the trigger on him. I doubt money is the sole motivator - an interstate move and increased tax will wipe most of the difference between his current contract and what is proposed. He is absolutely the right age profile as well.
    Yep - said it a few times but Shiel is very overrated. He has little hurt factor and his skills are not great. Not really a run and carry type of player either.

He's a good 3rd or 4th mid but no more than that.

Post Thanks / Like

12. Thanks bulldogtragic, Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    But a part from winning the football, winning the contested footy, kicking goals, gerating goal assists, kicking it most inside 50, getting clearances and laying tackles, what has The Chad ever done in 2018?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There are some warning bells ringing for me with this focus on Wingard.
    Based on his form over the last two years though is he really worth 800K plus over a 5 or 6 year deal and pick 6 or 7 in the draft?
    If money is his primary focus then that concerns me.

FWIW, I'd want something else back for Wingard than what is being proposed
    If he plays like the second half of this year, than yes.
    20+ touches and a goal per game. Polec is on $700k, a cooked Hannerbery on $800k pa.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    But a part from winning the football, winning the contested footy, kicking goals, gerating goal assists, kicking it most inside 50, getting clearances and laying tackles, what has The Chad ever done in 2018?
    I think a lot of it comes from simply looking at his goals which dropped, even though that was a result of him moving to the midfield.

There's no doubt he has stagnated a bit, but nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was one of the most exciting players in his early years but I watch Port a little bit and I'm surprised that his drop in form isn't at least a pause for consideration for most people.

As a club if we are convinced he's looking at a move to us because he can play his best football then great, lets go all-in but he's at a strong club now and I think we should at least be wary that money might be his primary focus.

There is no doubt that the upside is huge if he has the hunger to succeed.

Is someone going to start a "I'm a Chadpole" membership option?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Drop in form over the last two years = fake news.

Post Thanks / Like

Wingard would be top 5 on our list if not top 3.

Who else on our list has the same hurt factor capability besides Bont?

Anyway as I said earlier I think it's a long way from being done so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket