Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  321
Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: The Chad Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Chad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    So what do we think about GC’s Jack Scrimshaw?
    Looking to get back to Melbourne. Taken at pick 7 in 2016, he is a 193cm highly rated, rebounding defender. Apparently his agility, decision making and skills are exceptional and he will most likely be able to move into the midfield.

The kicker? Hawks are into him in a big way but apparently having a hard time finding any currency (made harder with the Wingard announcement). Let’s swoop in at the last second and get him. Seems a great prospect and it will piss them off AND it is likely the reason they are happy to part with Burton.
    I'm down. Send Adams to GC as a straight up swap
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

2. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So what do we think about GC’s Jack Scrimshaw?
    Looking to get back to Melbourne. Taken at pick 7 in 2016, he is a 193cm highly rated, rebounding defender. Apparently his agility, decision making and skills are exceptional and he will most likely be able to move into the midfield.

The kicker? Hawks are into him in a big way but apparently having a hard time finding any currency (made harder with the Wingard announcement). Let’s swoop in at the last second and get him. Seems a great prospect and it will piss them off AND it is likely the reason they are happy to part with Burton.
    He's got talent but I don't think he's the sort of player we need. A 193cm half back flanker but I don't think he can be a key position player. I think we can certainly find better suited players at pick 7 and I'd also think we can at the Dahlhaus pick
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we can swoop in on a disgruntled Burton somehow.
    Get our grubby little fingers in that deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo needs to give Burton a big cuddle.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not a huge Burton fan to be honest. He’s very panicky down back and is not a great distributor of the ball by foot.

Clarko is no dill - he knows Burton has deficiencies in his game that aren’t easily overcome. If you’re going to be a key position size defender, you either need to be be elite in 1-on-1 contests or you need to be an elite intercept defender with great distribution skills, and Burton is neither. He’s also 21yo, not an 18-19yo kid like Naughton who has already shown plenty more.

Sicily on the other hand....
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and he has a contract
    And he has Sam Mitchell's jumper.

I'm with Sedat though. Hawthorn don't give away good players,
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I’m not a huge Burton fan to be honest. He’s very panicky down back and is not a great distributor of the ball by foot.

Clarko is no dill - he knows Burton has deficiencies in his game that aren’t easily overcome. If you’re going to be a key position size defender, you either need to be be elite in 1-on-1 contests or you need to be an elite intercept defender with great distribution skills, and Burton is neither. He’s also 21yo, not an 18-19yo kid like Naughton who has already shown plenty more.
    Totally agree. This is a really shrewd move by Clarkson to utilise a so-so player at their highest currency for maximum return. Burton was impressive in 2017 but went rapidly backwards this season, is limited by athleticism and skill and relies on his ability to read the play far too much.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting rumours regarding the Chad deal (take all with a grain of salt):

- We walked away from the deal due to the price. Pick 7 wasn't enough
    - Some are suggesting pick 15 + Burton has been rejected by Port
    - Burton has some flaws in his game Clarkson is wary of, disgruntled at being offered for trade as he's under contract
    - Hawks deal was the same as ours minus the performance/bonus clauses. Our offer included performance metrics.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Thanks bornadog, Templeton31, 1eyedog, Sedat, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting rumours regarding the Chad deal (take all with a grain of salt):

- We walked away from the deal due to the price. Pick 7 wasn't enough
    - Some are suggesting pick 15 + Burton has been rejected by Port
    - Burton has some flaws in his game Clarkson is wary of, disgruntled at being offered for trade as he's under contract
    - Hawks deal was the same as ours minus the performance/bonus clauses. Our offer included performance metrics.
    Thank you for the update. Wingard is not worth more than pick 7
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If this is the case, I'm glad we held firm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And he has Sam Mitchell's jumper.

I'm with Sedat though. Hawthorn don't give away good players,
    Josh Kennedy (Swans)

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Totally agree. This is a really shrewd move by Clarkson to utilise a so-so player at their highest currency for maximum return. Burton was impressive in 2017 but went rapidly backwards this season, is limited by athleticism and skill and relies on his ability to read the play far too much.
    Wonder whether the plan is to flick him forward? He was a full forward prior to being drafted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    Josh Kennedy (Swans)
    They got Stratton and Suckling out of that deal (losing McGlynn as well).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking I think Kane Cornes is a total tool, but I caught a segment of him talking about the Burton + 15 proposed deal and I think he hits the nail on the head.

Whilst it might be a “fair” deal on paper, it is a terrible deal for Port and one that doesn’t fit their needs.

They really don’t need defenders, their defence was their strength last year. Jonas, Clurey, Byrne-Jones, Houston all finished high up in their B+F and you can add Dougal Howard, Hartlett and Broadbent (the latter two coming back from injuries). You could swing Burton forward maybe, but they already have Dixon, Marshall, Ryder/Lycett, and Watts. You also have Westhoff switching between forward and back.

They need midfielders and I am not surprised that reports are surfacing that they are not satisfied with that trade and are squeezing the Hawks for more. Maybe it’s not Wingard & Scully for the Hawks, maybe it’s Wingard or Scully. I am not sure how the hell they physically could be trading to get both.

For Port I think it is a case of “A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush”. I don’t think a future first rounder would be enough to douse the raging fires of their fans at a Wingard exit, they needed something now. They really need our 7.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Hawks deal doesn’t get done and they come back to us.

19. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes wimberga liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking I think Kane Cornes is a total tool, but I caught a segment of him talking about the Burton + 15 proposed deal and I think he hits the nail on the head.

Whilst it might be a “fair” deal on paper, it is a terrible deal for Port and one that doesn’t fit their needs.

They really don’t need defenders, their defence was their strength last year. Jonas, Clurey, Byrne-Jones, Houston all finished high up in their B+F and you can add Dougal Howard, Hartlett and Broadbent (the latter two coming back from injuries). You could swing Burton forward maybe, but they already have Dixon, Marshall, Ryder/Lycett, and Watts. You also have Westhoff switching between forward and back.

They need midfielders and I am not surprised that reports are surfacing that they are not satisfied with that trade and are squeezing the Hawks for more. Maybe it’s not Wingard & Scully for the Hawks, maybe it’s Wingard or Scully. I am not sure how the hell they physically could be trading to get both.

For Port I think it is a case of “A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush”. I don’t think a future first rounder would be enough to douse the raging fires of their fans at a Wingard exit, they needed something now. They really need our 7.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Hawks deal doesn’t get done and they come back to us.
    Makes sense.

What can we propose to leverage on Hawthorn’s desperation to make it happen. They do have history in paying overs to get their man e.g O’Meara.

Burton and Duryea to us and a swap of their pick 15 for our 7, to on-trade to Port.