Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  321
Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: The Chad Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Chad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If I am a 25 year old, 2x AA player who has been targeted by an opposition club and they then decide to offer me a contract that is heavily incentive based, well, I would tell them to take a flying leap. So would you. If we have missed out because of this, I will be most displeased!
    It's funny that two of the three clubs that we know were involved (us and Port) had misgivings about his ability to do the work the truly elite put in as par for the course, and that the one club that overlooked that finished up with his signature.

A broader question is which of his two suitors were the most desperate to secure his services? If the rumours around contract structure are true it doesn't appear to be us - which flies in the face of the media narrative and the sentiments of much of our supporter base.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Whose extra hot then???
    Wayne Carey.
    The curse is dead.

4. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ben Cousins' level of heat can bend space and time.

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's funny that two of the three clubs that we know were involved (us and Port) had misgivings about his ability to do the work the truly elite put in as par for the course, and that the one club that overlooked that finished up with his signature.

A broader question is which of his two suitors were the most desperate to secure his services? If the rumours around contract structure are true it doesn't appear to be us - which flies in the face of the media narrative and the sentiments of much of our supporter base.
    Hawks always believe they can turn players around, but they have also made some bad decisions such as Vickery, and Dayle Garlett a complete disaster.

We will see as every story has two sides, and Chad could have a new lease of life.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Wayne Carey.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Ben Cousins' level of heat can bend space and time.
    Yet Richmond & Adelaide took them on respectively. Harley Bennell got to Freo. There always seems to be one club confident their culture can 'change him'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yet Richmond & Adelaide took them on respectively. Harley Bennell got to Freo. There always seems to be one club confident their culture can 'change him'.
    We took on Bazza and he behaved - I don't count the incident with that dickhead from North and he was a success kicking a lot of goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whose extra hot then???
    Perhaps a Carey or Cousins?

Edit: Did not see any of the above but looks like we were all on the same page

Post Thanks / Like

Whose extra hot then???
    Brian Lake according to this mornings herald sun!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting rumours regarding the Chad deal (take all with a grain of salt):

- We walked away from the deal due to the price. Pick 7 wasn't enough
    - Some are suggesting pick 15 + Burton has been rejected by Port
    - Burton has some flaws in his game Clarkson is wary of, disgruntled at being offered for trade as he's under contract
    - Hawks deal was the same as ours minus the performance/bonus clauses. Our offer included performance metrics.
    It sounds like Bevo has decided that some players need to have an extra incentive to perform near their best over a period of time.
    After the last 2 years I can appreciate that process but if you're chasing someone like Wingard it probably wasn't the right offer although it probably does indicate the player wasn't quite up for the challenge.

Wingard is a very talented player but probably a laconic type and maybe the timing just wasn't right.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Suckling was picked as a rookie though?

JK is a beast, at his peak he'd make any side better.
    From memory Suckers was a pick upgrade onto the main list with one of the picks given up by Sydney, so in effect Suckers and Stratton for JK and McGlynn.

JK is a beast but Stratton is a fantastic key defender and would have been more important structurally than JK to the Hawks 3-peat. Reminds me of Ablett Snr leaving the Hawks, who then proceeded to win 5 flags while Ablett was killing it at the Cattery (with zero flags).

They just don't get their pants pulled down often, the Hawks.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting rumours regarding the Chad deal (take all with a grain of salt):

- We walked away from the deal due to the price. Pick 7 wasn't enough
    - Some are suggesting pick 15 + Burton has been rejected by Port
    - Burton has some flaws in his game Clarkson is wary of, disgruntled at being offered for trade as he's under contract
    - Hawks deal was the same as ours minus the performance/bonus clauses. Our offer included performance metrics.
    That I don't buy at all. If they're asking too much you counter, they counter etc. You don't just flat out walk away. If this is actually what we did do it's a real worry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    That I don't buy at all. If they're asking too much you counter, they counter etc. You don't just flat out walk away. If this is actually what we did do it's a real worry.
    Isn’t that a good sign ? We have a mantra( whatever it is) and we stick to it.
    We offered them pick 7 , we can’t offer anymore as we want West and Khumis.
    Best offer take it or leave it , Wingard it seems didn’t agree with the contract we offered either so instead of wasting time on this we moved on.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Isn’t that a good sign ? We have a mantra( whatever it is) and we stick to it.
    We offered them pick 7 , we can’t offer anymore as we want West and Khumis.
    Best offer take it or leave it , Wingard it seems didn’t agree with the contract we offered either so instead of wasting time on this we moved on.
    Not really. Show's we're not creative enough to work out a deal. I'm not saying give more than pick 7 but there is more than one way to skin a cat. We could have renegotiated a contract but didn't. As I said I don't buy it for a second.

We've said we won't trade Adams, Lions have said they want him and won't give up a 2nd round pick. I can guarantee we'll give him up for a worthless pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Not really. Show's we're not creative enough to work out a deal. I'm not saying give more than pick 7 but there is more than one way to skin a cat. We could have renegotiated a contract but didn't. As I said I don't buy it for a second.

We've said we won't trade Adams, Lions have said they want him and won't give up a 2nd round pick. I can guarantee we'll give him up for a worthless pick.
    Reports are we offered next years first rounder for wingard. Port would want pick 7 for this year’s draft coz of the SA kids. Obviously we wouldn’t baulk on that.

Yeah and I agree, I can see Adams being traded for 2 picks in the 40’s
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

We’re all negotiation experts at this time of year....