Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  321
Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 41424344454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: The Chad Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Chad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It sounds like Bevo has decided that some players need to have an extra incentive to perform near their best over a period of time.
    After the last 2 years I can appreciate that process but if you're chasing someone like Wingard it probably wasn't the right offer although it probably does indicate the player wasn't quite up for the challenge.

Wingard is a very talented player but probably a laconic type and maybe the timing just wasn't right.
    No doubt he got a wiff of JStringer part II.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    From memory Suckers was a pick upgrade onto the main list with one of the picks given up by Sydney, so in effect Suckers and Stratton for JK and McGlynn.
    Rookies upgrade can be done with pick 187 so the pick is irrelevant - taking a player as a rookie is the pertinent choice, the upgrade afterwards shouldn't be counted as success/failure of the pick.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Reports are we offered next years first rounder for wingard. Port would want pick 7 for this year’s draft coz of the SA kids. Obviously we wouldn’t baulk on that.

Yeah and I agree, I can see Adams being traded for 2 picks in the 40’s
    This is where I get confused ... why would we have spoken to Port? Port were adamant Wingard hadn't asked for a trade, then he declared he wanted to go to Hawthorn. In that time, we said we were interested and we would have no doubt done our reconnaissance on him which would have included sitting with HIM and tabling an offer. Why would we have met with Port and tabled an offer with them?

Saying Port were not interested in our future first rounder (2019) is speculation at best !!
    WOOF Member 422

4. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    This is where I get confused ... why would we have spoken to Port? Port were adamant Wingard hadn't asked for a trade, then he declared he wanted to go to Hawthorn. In that time, we said we were interested and we would have no doubt done our reconnaissance on him which would have included sitting with HIM and tabling an offer. Why would we have met with Port and tabled an offer with them?

Saying Port were not interested in our future first rounder (2019) is speculation at best !!
    You’re probably right. I was just stating what had been mentioned.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    You’re probably right. I was just stating what had been mentioned.
    Sorry DG ... I wasn't having a go at you. It's more a culmination of media outlets saying we couldn't get the deal done with Port and what I've read on here. I just don't see why we would have sat down with Port at all.
    Granted, Wingard not choosing us is a different point altogether.
    WOOF Member 422

7. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course we had to sit down with Port and scope the buying price through the process. Although Wingard hadn’t declared his intentions publicly the process still needed to roll on.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Of course we had to sit down with Port and scope the buying price through the process. Although Wingard hadn’t declared his intentions publicly the process still needed to roll on.
    100%. That's the whole point of the clubs coming together for the week...some of it is working through genuine deals, most of it is looking at what might, maybe, sorta happen and trying to establish a ball park where both clubs can happily play...

This is what is causing the issues with Freo and Melbourne...Melbourne insist they had basically agreed in principle on what the exchange for Hogan would be...at the critical moment, Fremantle pulled back from their 'commitment' (which of course, was never really a 'commitment', it was just a 'negotiating point'...

In any case, we HAD to talk to PA.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    No doubt he got a wiff of JStringer part II.
    I love this.

Speculation he's coming here. "Oh he'd be perfect for us"

Chooses another club "We dodged a bullet there"

Anyone who think Wingard wouldn't have helped our club are kidding themselves. It's a kick in the guts that we missed out on him.

11. Likes Happy Days, Topdog, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I love this.

Anyone who think Wingard wouldn't have helped our club are kidding themselves. It's a kick in the guts that we missed out on him.
    I think he is a gun and would have been a great get but it’s not like we lost everything by not getting him , pick 7 is still an excellent position to have as a replacement. To me either way we don’t lose.
    Bring back the biff

13. Likes Dancin' Douggy, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this.

You want to leave your club and basically demand a ridiculous sum to get it done. Then you start leaving cryptic messages in instagram leaving your club in the dark. Is that the sort of person we want? Not me.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Based on information just provided by Port supporters. Am I not allowed to update my views based on new information?
    Sorry GD. Not singling out you. Last year Stringer was worth a 1st round pick, he was a gun. As soon as we traded him for unders he was rubbish and we got a great deal.

16. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry GD. Not singling out you. Last year Stringer was worth a 1st round pick, he was a gun. As soon as we traded him for unders he was rubbish and we got a great deal.
    No worries G-Mo77, you are right to point out tribalism. It's not actually a healthy thing. Sometimes a ratbag can get you over the line ( Carey ) and that is what a good club should be able to do, get a kid and straighten him out. But it works better if you get them a bit younger. A lot of the anti-port Chad stuff is going to be smokescreen to hide the pain of losing him anyway. But for the money he is asking, it would be poor management of Port to keep him. And I really don't like the instagram thing, flirting with leaving or staying on social media.

Post Thanks / Like

Based recent information just provided by Port supporting friends.
    Port fans seem more concerned about getting a good trade. Reported to have made a ridiculous offer, and invited by Port to explore his options.
    I am firmly in the camp that would have loved him and is pretty disappointed. He is the type of player that runs hot and cold, but he kicks goals and wins games.

He would also be a commercial success, I think the hype and highlight reel would have a positive impact of membership numbers and drawing kids to our club. Most kids don’t run around imagining they are Tom Mitchell with his 40 possessions, they pretend they are Cyril or Eddie Betts dribbling in ridiculous goals from the pocket.

I still have a glimmer of foolish hope that the Hawks arrogance to expect a trade without having any currency will finally bite them and Port will come back to us and listen to our future first idea. I think Wingard sounds like he was happy to come to us and he might be willing to accept some of our contract conditions if the only alternative is going back to Port.

Oh well, at worst at least draft night will be more exciting with a pick 7 in play.

19. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good points. The club clearly has concerns over his hotness / coldness and I guess that is where the contract clauses come in. His goal kicking has been dropping off year by year. Billy Gowers kicked more goals than him this season.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s all posturing and everyone does it . We were always in the cold light of day going to get a late first or two seconds .
    When it was made so public it was always going to end that way