Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  321
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chad Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Chad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Everyone said Buddy was going to GWS once upon a time.
    They all reported Hodge retiring too. Wallis left us last week for Brisbane. Caddy wanted to stay at Geelong. No way Gibbs would ever be traded to Adelaide. Dogs stupid to demand Tom Boyd, GWS would never do it.

Wingard may or may not end up with us, but you'd hope well paid sports journalists would have news to report, not a gut feel. The occasional source or a quote might actually represent reporting of news.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just read the article. After saying its Hawthorn and they're front runners for a while, Edmund goes onto say Wingard could actually end up at either club. And that he won't lie and say he's absolutely going to Hawthorn, because that's not the situation, but Hawthorn want him...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My spidey sense is telling me Wingard's going nowhere.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

We put the mock on the minute this thread was opened...

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I just read the article. After saying its Hawthorn and they're front runners for a while, Edmund goes onto say Wingard could actually end up at either club. And that he won't lie and say he's absolutely going to Hawthorn, because that's not the situation, but Hawthorn want him...
    Could the reporter put some meat to it, by offering any option that Hawthorn could possibly have to trade with Port Adelaide.

To me Port are seriously looking at the draftable talent available from South Australia this year and anyway they could maximise their draft picks for a generational talent.

Hawthorn's pick 14 does not do that.

Their first rounder next year does not do that.

What can they offer?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Could the reporter put some meat to it, by offering any option that Hawthorn could possibly have to trade with Port Adelaide.

To me Port are seriously looking at the draftable talent available from South Australia this year and anyway they could maximise their draft picks for a generational talent.

What can they offer?
    Thank God you're also seeing it an obvious side to the story. It's as if Wingard can pick anyone this year and leave. Port need to clear him, and open to keeping him and doing this dance next year. We have pick 6. They have pick 14. That's not even the same ball park as far as a trade goes. Someone who gets paid to write about football trades might like to maybe write about the other side of the trade, not just the nominating. Especially when Hawthorn are not choc full of trade currency.

* Yes I know players just pick a team and it gets done most of the time, but Port have him under contract and no doubt an offer of pick 6 in the mix of a trade. Plus they jump Adelaide in the draft order, and they get a gun local kid. Hawthorn have to come up with something like this, because unlike many other signings of theirs, Wingard is contracted.

11. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What can they offer?

Even if Wingard chooses the Hawks we might be able to get involved in some manner that benefits us

I also think a bluff of saying we will swap picks with Adelaide won't sit well with Port. Our pick would be very appealing to them
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Even if Wingard chooses the Hawks we might be able to get involved in some manner that benefits us

I also think a bluff of saying we will swap picks with Adelaide won't sit well with Port. Our pick would be very appealing to them
    Surely we don't do anything to facilitate a player we would want going to an opposition player.

Perhaps they will give us Jack Gunston and Tom Mitchell for pick 6.
    I just don't see what they could realistically offer that would justify us donating pick 6 to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely we don't do anything to facilitate a player we would want going to an opposition player.

Perhaps they will give us Jack Gunston and Tom Mitchell for pick 6.
    I just don't see what they could realistically offer that would justify us donating pick 6 to them.
    Yes it's unlikely however, if a club gets desperate they might overpay for our prized pick.

It really depends on who our targets might be.

I've mentioned before but I think if we were prepared to trade pick 6 for Wingard I think we could get something back from Port. They have a couple of selections in the 3rd round they might not really need
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yes it's unlikely however, if a club gets desperate they might overpay for our prized pick.

It really depends on who our targets might be.

I've mentioned before but I think if we were prepared to trade pick 6 for Wingard I think we could get something back from Port. They have a couple of selections in the 3rd round they might not really need
    I see the sense of the Wingard trade for pick 6 and yes would agree a late pick or 2 back would help our cause.

i just don't see any other reason to trade pick 6, unless we are getting an AA standard player.

Hawthorn only have Mitchell or Gunston that would spark my interest.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see the sense of the Wingard trade for pick 6 and yes would agree a late pick or 2 back would help our cause.

i just don't see any other reason to trade pick 6, unless we are getting an AA standard player.

Hawthorn only have Mitchell or Gunston that would spark my interest.
    I'm with you on this Joe. If Wingard picks Hawks, and we don't give Hawthorn the pick, and we do promise pick 6 to Port and ask them to block Hawthorn unless they do better than our trade offer while Trengove & Bevo try harder again, we still might land him. Port have leverage by virtue of contract, we have more trade currency leverage and we know Wingard is at worst seriously making our club home. That's just the lay of the land. I'd rather block Hawthorn by holding onto the trade high ground at pick 6 and spending the trade period working him and his manager. If it fails do be it. Our position is taking say Rozee. Standing aside to Hawthorn, to lose Rozee, to lose any chance of Wingard, isn't ideal. Gunston isn't gettable, and 14 and a fringe player does nothing for me. Back the play to the very end, Wingard or Rozee both make me happy.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do Adelaide have anyone we would be interested in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Do Adelaide have anyone we would be interested in?
    I actually like Mitch McGovern even though we haven't been linked to him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Greg Denham in the Australian today says the Bulldogs leading the chase for Wingard.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

22. Thanks KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Greg Denham in the Australian today says the Bulldogs leading the chase for Wingard.
    I hope he's right!!

What is he basing his views on?