Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non-Guaranteed Contracts

The other part missing from the US style is the transparency of the contract. How much money each player is on its known to all, this also makes teams salary cap situation known

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    The other part missing from the US style is the transparency of the contract. How much money each player is on its known to all, this also makes teams salary cap situation known
    Very good point. It would stop situations like Essendon currently being conservatively 30% over the salary cap with AFL endorsement so they didn't lose drug banned returning players.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Breaking player Contracts are getting worse and worse. Papley has 4 years left on his contract, Howard 3, nothing is sacred anymore.

I really am against players breaking contracts unless there are exceptional circumstances. I know we have chased players on contract as well but it will happen to us when someone puts a big contract in front of a player when we think we have them stitched up for a few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Breaking player Contracts are getting worse and worse. Papley has 4 years left on his contract, Howard 3, nothing is sacred anymore.

I really am against players breaking contracts unless there are exceptional circumstances. I know we have chased players on contract as well but it will happen to us when someone puts a big contract in front of a player when we think we have them stitched up for a few years.
    I agree, the players are getting a great deal. Get their managers to negotiate the best possible deal because everyone loves the security a long term deal provides but then they keep looking around for an even better deal putting the clubs under the pump.
    Clubs and the AFL are allowing this to happen because of the nature of the industry

I get that some players are looking for better opportunities to play and that sounds reasonable but many are making things up on the fly to get their own way

I've mentioned this before but if players want to break a contract because they are homesick they should forfeit the right to pick and choose which club they go to in that home state. If you want to go back to WA for example then your current employer/club should be able to negotiate with both WA teams to get the best deal for them. Some of these players playing the homesick card but still only want to go to one club (because lets face it in most instances they will pay them more) is just an out and out manipulation

Players could also be fined if they break a contract just because they want to secure more money elsewhere

There needs to be a financial incentive for players to play out their contracts and this will sort out the genuine ones from the ones focused more on the financials
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There could be a couple of disincentives put in place.

One would be to have the new club required to count 150% of the player contract counted in their salary cap, with the club losing the player able to use the equivalent extra cap for the remaining period of the departing player contract.

Additionally the new contract for this purpose must be averaged over the life of the contract to prevent manipulation through a back ended arrangement.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post