Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-Guaranteed Contracts

We are well and truly getting used to the bold new world of free agency in AFL. One thing that has become absolutely clear is that the players and their managers have all the power when it comes to negotiations. We now have players who spend minimal time at football clubs demanding trades after one or two years served, and worse still they dictate which club they want to go to.

Is it time to give the clubs more power at the negotiation table? Non Guareenteed contracts are common place in the NFL and NBA, they offer the clubs some protection and keeps the players honest. To me it allows the players to earn the right to the entirety of their contract, it also allows clubs to control the narrative on contract negotiations.

I would love to hear other woofers opinion on this? Will we see it? Can it work in the AFL?
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non-Guaranteed Contracts

Players always point to the American system and say that's what we want. Well here it is in all it's glory. Of course they actually only want the best bits of the American system while keeping the best bits of the Australian system.

This should happen, no question.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

What is a Non Guareenteed contract?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Get a non-guaranteed contract - Come to pre-season, train and get paid a wage for doing so - if you are on the roster/list after a certain point in the season then your contract gets fully guaranteed

5. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Get a non-guaranteed contract - Come to pre-season, train and get paid a wage for doing so - if you are on the roster/list after a certain point in the season then your contract gets fully guaranteed
    It means more than that. Basically the club can tear up your contact at any point and not be obliged to pay out the remainder. So if the player gets injured, loses form, or a better option becomes available the club can cut or trade the player without consultation with the player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Let’s use the Chad for example. The dogs say we will give you 5 million over 5 years of which 2.5 million of it is guaranteed. The other 2.5million will be paid to you if you meet XYZ of our expectations. Maybe be B&F finish or other factors. Wingard backs himself in and performs earns his 5 million (both parties are happy) or he comes over pisses it up against the wall and the club move him on. Saving 2.5 million in the process, club isn’t happy as the player hasn’t performed but can save face in the long run.

The way the league is going I think this process will be essential to allow clubs to control the narrative and not the players.

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. This is the bits the cheer squad media never mention. It's all about the players and their rights when you read the paper or listen to the radio.

So how do they work? Is it a certain percentage of the playing list on them or the entire playing list has an element of non guaranteed money built in or are they handed to players who otherwise wouldn't have been on an AFL list?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea in principle, though I'd be concerned about the components relating to injury and players being cut loose completely should they lose their ability to meet their contracted obligations from a performance perspective.

However, I don't see how this will stop players from nominating their preferred club and breaking contracts as soon as the season is finished. Isn't the reason players break contracts so readily because they have a sweetheart deal ready to go elsewhere? If and once this type of contract becomes the norm, the market will adjust players will still hold the whip hand in terms of where they end up.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't some contract have triggers written in them already like this? I'm all for a system that protects the smaller weaker clubs and if guaranteed contracts help then bring it on.

As much as I hate The Suns and The Giants because of everything they got given, but let's put that aside for now, I would be gutted if I supported one of those teams and other clubs were constantly circling and convincing their best players to leave. Clubs do need more control imo. Why don't we have transfer fees like FIFA? That way at least the clubs are getting back in return of their investment into players.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly Ratsmac. But not to the full extent we see in the US. Our system is more “bonus” based and usually involves a lump sum at the end of year.
    Last edited by SlimPickens; 20-09-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the idea that these are in every contract? Because if not why would any elite talent agree to a contract that is part Non-Guaranteed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Is the idea that these are in every contract? Because if not why would any elite talent agree to a contract that is part Non-Guaranteed?
    Yes, and i hope it becomes the norm, because what other choice would they have? Not be a professional athlete?

Take Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packer QB) for example he recently signed a $134 Million dollar contract for 5 years, $100 Million of it is guaranteed. He has runs on the board, multiple Superbowls, multiple league MVP's and he is a good citizen. So Green Bay are comfortable to guarantee the majority of his contract as they don't see the risk. The club is happy and the player is happy. The club can dictate the terms and the player can accept or test out the market.

15. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Yes, and i hope it becomes the norm, because what other choice would they have? Not be a professional athlete?

Take Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packer QB) for example he recently signed a $134 Million dollar contract for 5 years, $100 Million of it is guaranteed. He has runs on the board, multiple Superbowls, multiple league MVP's and he is a good citizen. So Green Bay are comfortable to guarantee the majority of his contract as they don't see the risk. The club is happy and the player is happy. The club can dictate the terms and the player can accept or test out the market.
    And players of questionable character, highly speculative, or prone to not performing once they have the safety of a contract often have none of it guaranteed and they need to perform or they get nothing. This is the full reality of the American system that the Australian players often bemoan not having.

Players can also be traded against there will while under contract. So when a player's manager goes to the media and says X player wants to be traded to West Coast, despite being under contract, or they'll leave the next year as a free agent for nothing, the club can say fine we've just traded you to Gold Coast for a 1st round pick. Call X he's the footy manager at Gold Coast and he'll arrange your travel, good luck.

17. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rogers is a gun. He's everything a professional sportsman should aspire to. I'd happily guarantee all 134 mil if I was another club.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Don't some contract have triggers written in them already like this? I'm all for a system that protects the smaller weaker clubs and if guaranteed contracts help then bring it on.
    They do - 2 year contracts with a trigger for a third aren't uncommon in the AFL.
    They're not quite as tenuous as the NFL system but there are also bonuses for AA squads, B&F finishes, etc.

I don't know for certain but I'd imagine each club's marketing allowance is also used for this sort of flexibility.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers