Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kerr vs Cooney Hypothetical

Cooney was the number one selection by the Dogs in the 2003 draft.
    He is a quick and exciting footballer with plenty of scope for further improvement. Despite his battle with OP he still has the world at his feet.

Daniel Kerr was the number 18 selection at the 2000 draft selected by the Eagles.
    Over the past couple of seasons he has really become an elite player even in the strong Eagles midfield.

I must admit I like the hardness and game winning abilities of Kerr and I was talking to a mate the other day where he posed the question of who I would select if I had the choice between Kerr and Cooney knowing what I now know.

I must admit I was wasn't sure exactly which way I would go.

To make this an easy question, would you do a straight up trade for Kerr if the only player the Eagles wanted was Cooney?

Am I silly to even consider a trade like this or am I crazy not to think we would be better off having Kerr instead of Cooney?

Be brutal if you have to

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kerr vs Cooney Hypothetical

Gets a bit tricky as we have not seen the best of Cooney?

Kerr is a great player and would be a great addition to any midfield.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Kerr is an excellent footballer, and he wins a lot of hard ball, and is almost the most effective Eagle midfielder (in a team of stars). I have long admired Kerr, and rate him as a more skillful and smarter footballer than Judd.

Cooney has a lot of game breaking ability, he has good pace and skills, can mark and kick goals. Cooney probably has a higher value due to being young, and the potential for future development. I'm not sure if I would do it, mainly bcos Cooney is very young, and certain to get better, he has a lot of attributes that are quality, and will only get better.

That's not to knock Kerr, who is a star, and would fit into our line-up with ease.

Post Thanks / Like

At this stage, Kerr is a better player.

One Brownlow already and wasn't far off this year, although he was suspended.

The past 3 years Kerr has been one of the Top 5 midfielders in the competition, so I think we'd be selfish to suggest Cooney is a better player.

However; Cooney's a bit younger and has the ability to be just as good and perhaps better. He has a few things he needs to touch up, such as his aggression on the ball/man and his workload - two of which Kerr excels in.

What Cooney does have over Kerr though is dynamic pace and the ability of being able to kick a bag of goals. He has a big spring in his legs and a great set of hands. That's not to say Kerr doesn't, but not quite like Cooney.

Whether or not Adam puts it together is another case, but certainly I believe Cooney has a bigger upside in the snese that he's that big bigger, taller, more athletic & explosive. But at the same time, Kerr is a tremendous footballer himself and it'll take a lot of hard work for Cooney to reach let alone surpass his standards.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Kerr won a Brownlow?

Post Thanks / Like

Kerr was drafted 3 years before Cooney. I'd be in a better position to judge Kerr now against Cooney after another 3 seasons. My gut feeling is I'd stick with Coooooooooooooooney.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Kerr was drafted 3 years before Cooney. I'd be in a better position to judge Kerr now against Cooney after another 3 seasons. My gut feeling is I'd stick with Coooooooooooooooney.
    It is a difficult task to select between these two players. Like you I think I would stick with Cooney.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney, but it's close.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney because he has more years left in him hopefully, but he has a lot to do to reach Kerr's level of endurance. Will he get to that level of covering so much ground and still be able to run, run and run even up to the last minutes of a gruelling grand final? And I wonder if OP will be a problem again. I'd gamble with him but it is a bit of taking the unknown rather than the known.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    Cooney because he has more years left in him hopefully, but he has a lot to do to reach Kerr's level of endurance. Will he get to that level of covering so much ground and still be able to run, run and run even up to the last minutes of a gruelling grand final? And I wonder if OP will be a problem again. I'd gamble with him but it is a bit of taking the unknown rather than the known.
    Even after reading all this I don't know if I would knock back that trade. Cooney has unlimited potential however, it is not certain that he will reach it.
    Kerr is probably right at his prime and has had two sensational years. It would be a very tempting trade for me.

Hard Ball Get Guest

Its a hard one.
    We havent really seen the best from Cooney and we dont know how good he really will be. You could also pose the question would Kerr be as dominant in a midfield that didnt contain Judd, COusins, Braun, Embley and Fletcher.

I'm pretty happy with the coon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blogger View Post
    Cooney was the number one selection by the Dogs in the 2003 draft.
    He is a quick and exciting footballer with plenty of scope for further improvement. Despite his battle with OP he still has the world at his feet.

Daniel Kerr was the number 18 selection at the 2000 draft selected by the Eagles.
    Over the past couple of seasons he has really become an elite player even in the strong Eagles midfield.

I must admit I like the hardness and game winning abilities of Kerr and I was talking to a mate the other day where he posed the question of who I would select if I had the choice between Kerr and Cooney knowing what I now know.

I must admit I was wasn't sure exactly which way I would go.

To make this an easy question, would you do a straight up trade for Kerr if the only player the Eagles wanted was Cooney?

Am I silly to even consider a trade like this or am I crazy not to think we would be better off having Kerr instead of Cooney?

Be brutal if you have to
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012432,00.html

Kerr is now up for trade, would we make a play for him? If so, who would we trade, Faz plus a pick? Imagine the midfield with Cooney, Griffen and Kerr.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Kerr is now up for trade, would we make a play for him? If so, who would we trade, Faz plus a pick? Imagine the midfield with Cooney, Griffen and Kerr.
    With Ayce being touted as our first pick.

It only leaves Ray and a second rounder at most. Probably wouldn't take it if i was WCE.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I heard on the radio this morning that the Eagles would want 2 top 10 picks, with one being at least a top 3 pick, for Kerr.

For us to do this we would have to offload some serious talent.

Personally, I wouldn't be prepared to sell the farm for Kerr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post
    With Ayce being touted as our first pick.

It only leaves Ray and a second rounder at most. Probably wouldn't take it if i was WCE.
    Would we be interested at all? Who else could we throw in? Stack is from WA?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.