Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Bulldogs: Sam Lloyd

AFEL.com.au

FRINGE Richmond forward Sam Lloyd will be playing for the Western Bulldogs next year.

His manager Robbie D'Orazio confirmed the news to NAB AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday.

"Sam will get to the Dogs, which I'm excited about," D'Orazio said.

"He's just one that's probably the unluckiest player in the AFL this year. He's been the 23rd man most weeks at Richmond, who were obviously on top of the ladder for most of the year."
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nearly Welcome to the Bulldogs: Sam Lloyd

Quote from his manager:

Sam Lloyd will get to the western bulldogs. He's been the 23rd man at Richmond all year. Great person and great work ethic. He'll do well at the Dogs.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Good get. Will be a handy player for us.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy with that. Some mature coverage who can play a role when needed. You'd think he has 2-3 years left in him.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to have him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Can kick straight - yep good get considering injury cloud in Dicko and Picko.

Post Thanks / Like

Overview career stats:

28yo
    180cm
    83kg

57 Games
    69 Goals
    33 Behinds (Better than 66%)

Averages, give or take:

14 disposals
    4 marks
    3 tackles
    2.5 inside 50's
    .5 goal assists
    2 shots at goal (going at 66% conversion)

8. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's basically backup to Dickson, Picken & Gowers. One of them misses more games than he plays, one still has question marks regarding if he'll even get back out there and the other improved his form once he started running through the midfield.

Add that and he's dirt cheap and it's a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

He will also qualify as an eker for our list
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes 1eyedog, Topdog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see what this guy brings. If its essentially a free transfer or exchange of late picks fine, but a 28 year old who has struggled to cement a spot in a team that up until the last 2 years has been sh*t is not the sort of guy we should be bringing in if we want to seriously challenge.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I don't see what this guy brings. If its essentially a free transfer or exchange of late picks fine, but a 28 year old who has struggled to cement a spot in a team that up until the last 2 years has been sh*t is not the sort of guy we should be bringing in if we want to seriously challenge.
    Agreed. He'll be 29 by the time next season starts, 57 games in 5 years doesn't exactly strike me with great confidence.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

We should make Richmond give us a pick for taking the money off their books.

16. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Agreed. He'll be 29 by the time next season starts, 57 games in 5 years doesn't exactly strike me with great confidence.
    Yeah but he averages more than a goal a game, so if he plays 22, he probably wins our goal kicking.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan, but if he was on our list this year he probably plays every game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    We should make Richmond give us a pick for taking the money off their books.
    And that's the value of the trade. When a manager comes out and picks a club like a baseballer picking where he's hitting it, that means to me from what he said it will be as uncontracted player, delisted free agent or nothing trade (like our pick in the 80's). Which is as good as getting him as a PSD or DFA. This trade doesn't thrill me so much I'm not sleeping until the end of round 1 next year, but we will be giving up next to nothing. So it's a money ball trade with next to no risk. If Picko gets a head hit, Dicko a bad hammy or Webb/Dale/Greene don't have solid form, then he's playing next year a fair bit. So let's see what happens is my thought.

Edit: from all reports he trains hard and is a solid citizen. If we are rebuilding the culture in the playing group. These are traits we need more of.

21. Likes Topdog, Dry Rot liked this post