Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019: Mid Season Rookie Draft

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is there a salary cap for affiliated sides? If not then the likes of the Crows could be attracting more players than other clubs to their affiliated side
    I know country and suburban sides pay double what VFL players get, but if they know they could be top ups in AFL it could bring a few down. I think a lot of VFL players play for their resume, it looks good for other roles in footy clubs when they retire.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

There is definitely a salary cap in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL for all clubs. I know that the WAFL cap for affiliated clubs was lower than the non-affiliated clubs (about 2/3rd the size), so it's not unreasonable to believe a similar arrangement exists in the SANFL and VFL. What exactly counts towards the cap I'm unsure. Would expect that AFL listed players salaries don't, but perhaps match fees for playing might be included. Obivously all payments to non-AFL listed players would be included.

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am definitely sympathetic to the issues/challenges this poses for the state leagues.

But on the other hand, I am a fan, conceptually, of the best players available being able to play in the best league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is there a salary cap for affiliated sides? If not then the likes of the Crows could be attracting more players than other clubs to their affiliated side
    I don't have an issue with that per se. If I'm a player who wants to make the transition, I'd align myself with a club where I feel the list profile suits my chances. If the Crows have 10 blokes ahead of me, I'd look elsewhere.

The AFL should really just start a formal reserves competition and be done with it.