Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which journo has the gumption to flag Essendon's salary cap?

It has now reached a point where I can't believe Essendon haven't been called into question.

They have recruited players and paid them above market salary in Smith, Saad, Stringer, they have re-signed players like Daniher, Heppell etc as well as beating what we understand to have been a $900k plus offer we put to Hurley last year. I know I'm missing others which I'm sure the good folk here can point out.

Journalists who peruse this site, this is a call to arms.

Yes, it will take some investigative work.

Yes, some industry people who have turned a blind eye and done whatever it takes to help the Bombers remove the mud they threw all over themselves won't like it.

But please, the integrity of the competition is at stake here.

How can they afford Shiel???? It's time for answers.
    Last edited by Go_Dogs; 09-10-2018 at 07:20 PM.

2. Thanks GVGjr, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which journo has the gumption to flag Essendon's salary cap?

My only point is a salary cap is only 'a cap' when it's enforced. The AFEL won't enforce it. I'm sure they'll all say the money spent on current players and money for aggrieved ex-players is somehow not counted for some (completely made up) legal reason. Essendon and the AFEL want Essendon in the positive news territory, if that means not enforcing it on them but on all 17 other clubs, that's the price we all have to pay for their drugs cheating, and giving them Good Friday footy.

I'd love to see ATO records and/or Victorian payroll tax records for players wages against what figure was given to/& or signed off the AFEL commission. Anyone bet they're the same or accurate?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is this surprising? Essendon haven’t won a flag without salary cap cheating for 33 years (and counting).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

GD, I've put something on Twitter. By the way, how much did GWS spend last year because they are dumping the dollars in a large way and don't appear to be in the market to get something back?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That idiot on SEN (afternoons, a bit of a dork but I just can't remember his name ATM) was replying to a caller today and said "after everything Essendon have been through, I can guarantee that they wouldn't be pushing the boundaries, well I can't actually guarantee this because I wasn't in the room, but surely they would make sure that all their Is are dotted and their Ts are crossed after the problems they have had over the last couple of years." Yeah right, because Essendon obviously learned their lesson over the drug issue. You can tell by all the mea culpas coming out of Tullamarine.

That's the level of curiosity that our media display.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

None, chiefly because they too readily default to the redemption narrative, of a club heroically rising from the ashes.

As if an ascendant Essendon is good for the broader competition so all aboard and gee doesn't it just feel grouse?

Case in point; Sam Maclure an hour ago on Trade Radio (forgive me) excitedly detailing just how buggered they were yet how they've since roared back so quickly, as if we're all supposed to applaud this with reverent awe.

Other clubs need to start going after their less well remunerated, hard, and see where the chips fall.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

What we need is for a Woofer who posts on Bigfooty to start a thread, perhaps with a bit of a breakdown on some of their spending as we know it to get the ball rolling. Watch the jilted Carlton supporters get amongst it and turn into Magnum PI.

There are 5,000 users online at the moment and, although I don't frequent BF all that often, I do notice that threads often run into hundreds of pages. Surely if it catches fire there will be a journalist or two out there that'll run with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    None, chiefly because they too readily default to the redemption narrative, of a club heroically rising from the ashes.

As if an ascendant Essendon is good for the broader competition so all aboard and gee doesn't it just feel grouse?

Case in point; Sam Maclure an hour ago on Trade Radio (forgive me) excitedly detailing just how buggered they were yet how they've since roared back so quickly, as if we're all supposed to applaud this with reverent awe.

Other clubs need to start going after their less well remunerated, hard, and see where the chips fall.
    Surely there are others out there who care for the game, who recognise what's happening and feel a level of responsibility and ownership to look into the issue and ask the hard questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    What we need is for a Woofer who posts on Bigfooty to start a thread, perhaps with a bit of a breakdown on some of their spending as we know it to get the ball rolling. Watch the jilted Carlton supporters get amongst it and turn into Magnum PI.

There are 5,000 users online at the moment and, although I don't frequent BF all that often, I do notice that threads often run into hundreds of pages. Surely if it catches fire there will be a journalist or two out there that'll run with it.
    I'm tempted to go through all re-signing and trade articles relating to Essendon's list and piece together what I can.... if I could go back 9 years to when I was a Uni student and had the time, I'd be all over it. Happy for someone to copy and paste my post on Big Footy, but I feel it's more creditable being here (and we know this site is frequented by journalists).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Surely there are others out there who care for the game, who recognise what's happening and feel a level of responsibility and ownership to look into the issue and ask the hard questions.
    Someone needs to call Eddie and get the ball rolling. You’re spot on with your OP.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    GD, I've put something on Twitter. By the way, how much did GWS spend last year because they are dumping the dollars in a large way and don't appear to be in the market to get something back?
    GWS clearly haven’t managed their situation well. At least they have acknowledged it and are shedding cash, perhaps in part to have a treasure chest to offer Kelly next year. I can’t understand how Essendon aren’t giving players and draft picks away for the same reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Only have to look at Dyson Heppell being a multicultural ambassador in 2017 despite having zero ethnic background. Stank of the AFL giving him a paying gig to make up for the previous year.
    Also Zaharakis but he didn't do any injecting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    ...and draft picks away for the same reason.
    This is the part I don't understand...don't you have to use 1x 1st round pick every 3-years (minimum).

If you give up one for Smith (2017) then a 2018 + future first (2019) for Shiel, how are you complying with that rule? Pretty sure Hawthorn are in the same boat.

I have heard this is a flexible rule but it shouldn't be - it is there to protect teams from themselves...you actually need occasional injections of youthful talent to remain competitive...coaches and footy managers who continually dip into the 'recycled' player well are doing their supporters a disservice by acting this way. Last year Port and Essendon attracted all these super-star players...how did that work out? West Coast retired well credentialled vets in Mitchell and Priddis and put faith in their younger players...how did that work out??? If you continually recruit experienced players over kids, there is going to be a time when you are 100% going to be on the wrong side of it...I look at the scrambling being done by Geelong at the moment and, well, I know I would rather have the Dogs list than the Cats list (on the provision that we are able to retain our key players in Bont, Macrae and Boyd come contract extension time).

Back on point, I am not really too bothered by what Essendon are doing salary wise - at some point, you have to pay the piper...and just like the Swans losing Tom Mitchell (supposedly) because of the strain of the Franklin deal and the Bulldogs losing out on a box of paper clips because of the onerous Boyd deal, at some point the cheques have got to be cashed. I don't have faith in the AFL to do much but they will hold clubs to account re- competition governance...

As for the Bombers, I know we don't want to admit it over here but they actually have some talented players on their list (who they drafted) who will be looking for pay rises in the near future...how they manage to keep them will be interesting.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Back-ended contracts for the likes of Jeremy Cameron are biting then hard for next year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Back-ended contracts for the likes of Jeremy Cameron are biting then hard for next year.
    Quite surprising Cameron hasn’t got a father the plastics can put on their books.

21. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post