Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which journo has the gumption to flag Essendon's salary cap?

Call me cynical but I can't help but feel that when the EFC reached "settlements" with some of the 34 (or 33, I can't remember) players they payed overs for an undisclosed fee, that way managing to keep some players on their books for less money. It might be tin foil but from a list management perspective it makes sense.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL website saying that Shiel will take less money to move to Essendon. Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    AFL website saying that Shiel will take less money to move to Essendon. Why?
    Because the mysterious brown bags full of bonus cash that arrive on Essendon players doorsteps don’t have to be claimed on tax?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funke disco View Post
    Call me cynical but I can't help but feel that when the EFC reached "settlements" with some of the 34 (or 33, I can't remember) players they payed overs for an undisclosed fee, that way managing to keep some players on their books for less money. It might be tin foil but from a list management perspective it makes sense.
    Surely any payments have to be captured under the salary cap regardless?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Surely any payments have to be captured under the salary cap regardless?
    They're meant to under the wording of the cap. The argument from both aEssendon & AFEL would go along 'well they are extraordinary once off payments that relate to private settlements to do with injury or possible injury. They are not taxable payments. As such we determine these private payments that do not attract the interest of the ATO as they are not income should be viewed in the context as being in the spirit of counting towards the salary cap. The golden rule approach, not the literal rule approach'.

Which is bullshit. Complete horseshit. You break it, you buy it as far as I'm concerned. But that's my best guess at how gun players somehow all signed on for 'officially' less than other clubs were offering, and can still go after and get Shiel. Anyone even bad at maths knows this doesn't make sense. But the AFEL doesn't care and its up to them to care. The media won't risk their accreditation like Stalinist USSR. Government won't withhold funding or demand scrutiny using their agencies. But the worst is yet to come. If they don't finish top 4 this year, we will see Josh Kelly there next year on 'less money than he could get elsewhere'. Until this drug cheating club wins a flag for the AFEL, this will keep happening. But since no one will stop it or wants to stop it, the custodians of the game from 17 other clubs have to take one for the (drug cheating) team.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Essendon, Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood must all be bursting at the seams. GWS are shedding money but seem to be up against it to be able to offer the sort of money that we will have for Josh Kelly.

I wonder how quickly the narrative around this will change and these clubs will suddenly be in the race?