I usually have a bit of a 'live and let live' issue when it comes to reporting and don't get too upset by what is written in the media. But the way the media are driving and manipulating the message contained in stories (more and more) is really starting to get to me.

Example:

Sam Mitchell is a grown man. He made a grown up decision to relocate to Perth on a huge money (for a first year coach) 4-year deal. He is now breaking that contract because he wants to head back to Melbourne...everyone seems to think that is all fine and, hey, whaddayagonnado...family comes first you know.

Meanwhile, Tim Kelly is a young kid. He has 3-kids under 2. He HAD to nominate for the draft in order to become part of the AFL system and be able to support his family versus living on the wages of an apprentice electrician. He TOLD all of the non-WA clubs NOT to draft him...that it would be hard, that his wife needed her sister and aunt around to help. They took him anyway and he signed the MANDATED ROOKIE CONTRACT. Now he wants to go home because of family reasons and that is disgraceful because after being overlooked in 5-drafts, Geelong finally gave him his chance and he owes them and blah blah.

Example:

Essendon offer way unders for Jake Stringer and the Bulldogs are just being stupid 'cos these details always 'get done' and they just need to do the best they can because "I can ASSURE YOU" he wont be walking back into that footy club and blah de blah de blah...

Meanwhile, Freo apparently offer way unders for Jesse Hogan and that is so unfair and why did they spend so much time with him when they were going to make such a 'lowball' offer and oh my goodness it is things like this that really challenge the integrity of the trade process and Peter Bell is so inexperienced that this is the problem and blah blah blah...

I feel like I could go on forever and ever.

Why do they do this? Why do they feel the need to do this? Why doesn't ANYONE ever produce a counter to the group think POV that gets presented??? I had some hope for Cornes as a media commentator when he first started but he is just as bad as the rest...Do any of them actually step back and THINK about what they are saying? Why do things that some clubs do receive the big, consistent tick of approval (no-matter-what) whereas others are pilloried for taking exactly the same steps/actions/approaches?

It is getting WORSE, not better. And there is simply not an independent voice anywhere to be found. I had hope for the footyology site but Connolly's time with the 'big' media and role as an Essendon apologist (I don't totally blame him for that, he is an Essendon supporter and doesn't make a secret of it) compromises his view too frequently...

Sorry for the rant. Just tired I guess.