Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beams - Shiel - Neale - Wingard

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Happy we didn't pickup Wingard, my original assessment of not being an A grader holds true.
    At his best he is an an A Grader but he is injury prone and we might have dodged a bullet
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I never wanted Wingard. he was awful at Port for the last year but in form he is magnificent.

The second I heard he takes his gaming rig on interstate trips with him, insists on a room alone and skips all the team meals etc to play games I went right off him. From a mile away he is a downhill skier IMO and the last personality type we’d be after given the type of person we’ve targeted lately

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting to revisit this.
    Hard to really judge after Wingard's injuries but we seem to have dodged a bullet in many ways.
    Wingard has been excellent since he's come back from injury in the last few weeks. Slow start but I think he will recapture his best form over time - he is an elite midfielder when given the opportunity to play in there, which Hawthorn have been doing lately. With a full pre-season under his belt next year, I think he can return to a top 25 player in the comp.

Neale has been an absolute jet for Brisbane this season, even going up a notch from his previously elite Freo form. He is easily the best of the 4 big name recruits. Beams has been a complete disaster and Shiel has not improved Essendon's midfield clearance work one iota - he is simply another nice addition to their outside midfield stocks who has kicking deficiencies. Essendon have needed a big inside bull midfielder ever since Jobe Watson stopped becoming an elite player after the drugs wore off - some of the hyperbole about the Bomber's rise with Shiel's inclusion was complete hot air.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes Happy Days, Topdog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy we didn't pickup Wingard, my original assessment of not being an A grader holds true.
    He's an a-grader, but hasn't consistently reached that level. His talent is without question. If he was a stock I'd be buying in 2020.

I would not swap Wingard for Bailey Smith though - I got that wrong last year. Smith is one of the most complete inside-outside midfielders to enter the AFL in many years. Imagine how good he will be when he has a full pre-season under his belt.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He's an a-grader, but hasn't consistently reached that level.
    That is why I simply can't count him as an A-Grader. He is ranked on potential rather than what he has produced. No doubt if he worked hard and become a consistent performer he can be regarded as an A Grader.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That is why I simply can't count him as an A-Grader. He is ranked on potential rather than what he has produced. No doubt if he worked hard and become a consistent performer he can be regarded as an A Grader.
    Does he not work hard? I just hope ‘takes a game console on trips’ isn’t being conflated with ‘has zero work ethic’.

To me its not different to having having a kindle to read or a hard drive of movies to watch. Gaming is just a bit more stigmatised

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Does he not work hard? I just hope ‘takes a game console on trips’ isn’t being conflated with ‘has zero work ethic’.

To me its not different to having having a kindle to read or a hard drive of movies to watch. Gaming is just a bit more stigmatised
    Work hard as in training, and playing, putting 100% effort. I don't care what he does on his time off.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Read an article in the Hun about Clarko forcing out Burton so that the Hawks could get the player Clarko was demanding.
    Given our interest in him as well I thought it might be worth revisiting.

He is a snippet from the article:

The senior coach was hellbent on Wingard, after coaching him in the 2014 International Rules series, and Hawthorn’s list management committee, rightly or wrongly, backed him.

Wingard was a heck of a player, and Clarkson fell in love with the then 25-year-old’s mesmerising talent and polish.

It was the way he could burst out of congestion, slice through the opposition defence and slot goals from anywhere.

Wingard was an All-Australian in his second season in 2013 and that year became the youngest player at Port Adelaide to win the best and fairest in 30 years. He won the mark of the year the following season.

Wingard was a finisher. A matchwinner. One of the best forward-midfielders in the competition.

And at a meeting at the home of footy manager Graham Wright in late 2018, Clarkson told Wingard how bad the Hawks needed him.

Cyril Rioli, the four-time premiership hero, had just retired in dramatic fashion amid a fallout with president Jeff Kennett.

Meanwhile, Port Adelaide had gone a bit cold on Wingard, after some up-and-down form, and Clarkson knew that too.

But the only way the Power was doing a deal on Wingard was if it received Burton plus a first-round draft pick in the deal.

Hawthorn faced a fight to snare Wingard, as there was another club in the mix.

Western Bulldogs also had a keen interest, and arranged a dinner for Wingard and Dogs’ coach Luke Beveridge.

But in one of those massive sliding doors moments, Wingard chose Waverley over Whitten Oval.

It meant the Dogs kept pick seven, and at the draft snaffled one of the best young players in the game, jet midfielder Bailey Smith.

For Hawthorn, the protracted negotiations with Port on Wingard dragged on until the final day of the trade period when about midmorning the club gave up pick 15, 35 and a future-fourth round pick and Burton in exchange for Wingard and a future third.

So nearly 4 years have gone by since Wingard arrived at the Hawks how would you rate the deal?
    He's had a few struggles with injuries this year but he was a very good performer last year.
    He's certainly a match winner when he is on song but from our perspective picking up Bailey Smith makes up for missing out on Wingard.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think Wingard has been a pretty woeful trade for them. He's a cream on the cake type player, they didn't even have a cake baked. It was a waste.

As a player he promised a lot in his early days and I don't think he's delivered. Those first few seasons at Port were electric - perhaps it's more a case of he didn't choose the right club to flourish.

Would he have been better with us? I'd say undoubtedly, but I'm glad we got Smith instead.
    W00F!

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I think Wingard has been a pretty woeful trade for them. He's a cream on the cake type player, they didn't even have a cake baked. It was a waste.

As a player he promised a lot in his early days and I don't think he's delivered. Those first few seasons at Port were electric - perhaps it's more a case of he didn't choose the right club to flourish.

Would he have been better with us? I'd say undoubtedly, but I'm glad we got Smith instead.
    Yeah - we have the cake and he would have been AWESOME.

But happy to have Smith and those goals in the final up in Brissy will live long in my memory.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're way ahead, and I was an advocate for giving them pick 7 for Wingard.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I never rated him

Post Thanks / Like

I never rated him
    True, but you rated Liam Jones so you break even at best!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Wingard been ok this season.
    17 goals in 10 games reasonable return.

He's certainly not the same player he was at Port.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's a bad trade for Hawthorn all round. Despite the success he brought the club in the years preceding this trade many Hawks supporters were at a loss re. Clarko's motives on this one.