Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Beams - Shiel - Neale - Wingard

SO. These 4-players are all changing clubs (so it would seem). Who is the best?

4. Beams. He is the oldest (by far). To me, that is where the argument starts and stops!

3. Shiel. Of the 3x 25 year olds (Shiel, Neale and Wingard are all 25), he is the most limited. He has been playing in a VERY good midfield - and has never been close to the best player. To me he is more cream than cake and has relied heavily on the work of Ward and Coniglio inside and has not copped the tagging attention of Kelly and Whitfield outside. Hasn't won a B&F...

2. Neale. Multiple B&F winner. Plays his BEST footy when he is 'da man' (aka when Fyfe is out, he steps UP). Goal kicker - well, apparently Shiel kicks more even though that isn't true! and is just a possession winning machine.

1. Wingard. Enough about him. Mid/forward, goal-kicking match-winner...

SO....why are people saying multiple first round picks will get Shiel, 1 early pick will get Neale and 1 mid-range pick will get Wingard. Is anyone watching footy and challenging these assessments? Or do people just not watch Freo and Port games but have been forced to watch the Giants as they have gone deeper into the finals over the past couple of seasons? Somethings up here...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Sedat, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beams - Shiel - Neale - Wingard

Lachie Neale really racks up the posessions, but I haven't really seen much of him. How damaging is he?

Wingard has not lived up to his early AA form and has stagnated a bit, or is that because he hasn't played much mid field in the last two years. I haven't rated him as an A Grader because of that, but I know he is.

As for what they are all worth in trading, I guess it depends on what the market will pay
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How much does the media narrative drive the market?

I'm honestly not sure whether we give those involved in the football industry too much credit, thinking they're impervious to what they see and hear in the media, or not prone to the same things lay folk are when over-exposed to certain messages (but to a smaller degree).

There's constant examples, ironically, within the media itself! Players and coaches finish up, and often sprout garbage...…….just because they heard it sprouted by colleagues or within the media generally.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Shiel, Neale, Wingard, Beams I think.

Post Thanks / Like

At the time Shiel made his choice and the two first round pick talk started I thought that the team getting Wingard for one first rounder was getting a bargain in comparison.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

If I was selecting players for us, I'd take Wingard first, Neale second, Shiel third and Beams fourth.

Wingard still has the highest ceiling of this group, albeit is the most inconsistent.

Neale would be great for us and a brilliant insurance if Libba can't get himself back on the park or back to his best.

We already have a much better 'does everything reasonably well' midfielder in Macrae, but Shiel would be a useful fourth or fifth cog and do a similar role to that he does at GWS for us.

Beams is last purely on age, but he'd also be a good addition to our group too.

Ultimately need comes into what players are worth on the market, and list composition will determine what a club sees as sufficient to trade away a wanted player.

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We talking draft value or who is the best player?

Beams has the lowest value due to his age, Neale is possibly the best player and the most valuable.

Wingard has the highest ceiling but how often dos he hit it? He's an elite forward or a very good mid and by all accounts he only wants to play as a mid. Sheil seems like a mid or nothing else.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Beams - Neale - Wingard - Shiel.

Why?

- Beams is a complete player who can be damaging (win plenty of ball + kick goals) but also adhere to defensive structures.
    - Neale is a high output player and close to the complete player too.
    - Wingard has extreme talent but his output isn't as high as the previous two.
    - Shiel is a good player but seriously overrated. Doesn't kick goals and average skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Beams is the best footballer in the group - no doubts for me. But of course he might only have 3-4 seasons remaining.
    So if you take him out due to age....personally I think Neale is the best footballer. Doesn't know how to play a bad game.

Wingard and Shiel is a toss of the coin - different type of players and depends what your need is - Wingard is more suited to what we need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Beams is the best footballer in the group - no doubts for me. But of course he might only have 3-4 seasons remaining.
    So if you take him out due to age....personally I think Neale is the best footballer. Doesn't know how to play a bad game.

Wingard and Shiel is a toss of the coin - different type of players and depends what your need is - Wingard is more suited to what we need.
    We have enough Shiel types that couldn't hit a barn door by foot under the smallest amount of pressure, in fact we have been madly showing them the door over the last couple of off seasons. I really don't understand the obsession with him and giving up TWO first rounders is verging on insanity. Wingard at one early first rounder is much more attractive value.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to revisit this.
    Hard to really judge after Wingard's injuries but we seem to have dodged a bullet in many ways.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting to revisit this.
    Hard to really judge after Wingard's injuries but we seem to have dodged a bullet in many ways.
    Didn't watch last night, but appears he had a good game.

Gee Neale has been impressive though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Didn't watch last night, but appears he had a good game.

Gee Neale has been impressive though.
    It helps when the opposition don’t turn up.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It helps when the opposition don’t turn up.
    Abysmal weren't they? I watched until half time and thought that despite the poor start that they were going to wind Hawthorn in after the break so I went to bed because I have this rotten cold that is going around and was quite surprised when I switched my phone on this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy we didn't pickup Wingard, my original assessment of not being an A grader holds true.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.