Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beams - Shiel - Neale - Wingard

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Wingard been ok this season.
    17 goals in 10 games reasonable return.

He's certainly not the same player he was at Port.
    Thought he had a very good year in 2021 and that was as good as his time at Port.
    Unfortunately it's always been more of a challenge for him to play enough games for the Hawks since he arrived and as a result he's not kicking as many goals per season.
    2 or 3 games more per season with Hawthorn I think would have stacked up nicely against his successes at Port.

Terrific player who impacts the scoreboard.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I also thought Wingard’s 2021 was really good, with a noticeable improvement in his willingness to apply pressure exiting 50. No one paid any attention to it though because of the state of his club.

Was still a poor move from a list management perspective to give up a top pick for anyone given their position, but Chad himself has played some great footy for them.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clarko made the classic mistake of trying to prop up a declining list and keep reaching for a flag rather than accurately assessing where they were at and taking his medicine.

Not easy to do after his unbelievable run of success and he probably looked at clubs like Geelong and Sydney as evidence it could be done but they are very much outliers due to their unique appeal to free agents and the way they’re able to manipulate the salary cap (COL money in Sydney / corporate deals / sponsorship etc).

Can’t begrudge him for having a crack and if a few failed moves are the price you pay for the preceding 7-8 years of overwhelming success, you’d pay it every time. They’ll get back on track soon enough, this isn’t a North Melbourne post 1999 scenario… winning is in the club’s DNA
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah I also thought Wingard’s 2021 was really good, with a noticeable improvement in his willingness to apply pressure exiting 50. No one paid any attention to it though because of the state of his club.

Was still a poor move from a list management perspective to give up a top pick for anyone given their position, but Chad himself has played some great footy for them.
    It's one of the reasons why I think coaches have too much of a say in recruitment. Clarkson might have earned that right but Hawks are now in catch-up mode after a couple of years of a top-up approach that haven't quite worked out.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Meh.

I thought it was a pretty decent attempt at keeping a good side good. The odds probably weren't in their favour but they still probably had a 40% chance of being really good still by bringing in mature good players like O'Meara, Mitchell, Wingard etc.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right