Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Trade Period

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I keep reading people saying to 'Scrap the compensation pick...'.

Ummm - how is it 'FREE' agency if the club to where the player is moving has to give up a pick?

I don't have an issue with the compensation picks - just with the fact that the formula for determining what they are seems to be a complete mystery!
    It's because the player is free to move to the club of his choice but you're right the club he nominates has to be free to be able to take him has to I guess.

But getting rid of the compensation doesn't mean that the receiving club has to give anything up. It just means the club losing the player doesn't get anything in return except the list spot and cap relief and the ability to take a FA of their own to replace him. It's silly that clubs are second guessing what compensation pick they will get from the AFL before deciding whether the compensation they get from other clubs in a trade is going to be any better. Just get rid of the compo pick the AFL are handing out then we don't have to worry about what formula they are using.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's because the player is free to move to the club of his choice but you're right the club he nominates has to be free to be able to take him has to I guess.

But getting rid of the compensation doesn't mean that the receiving club has to give anything up. It just means the club losing the player doesn't get anything in return except the list spot and cap relief and the ability to take a FA of their own to replace him. It's silly that clubs are second guessing what compensation pick they will get from the AFL before deciding whether the compensation they get from other clubs in a trade is going to be any better. Just get rid of the compo pick the AFL are handing out then we don't have to worry about what formula they are using.
    It's also silly that clubs are avoiding signing free agents to make sure their compensation is not affected. Collingwood should have been able to just sign Roughead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It's also silly that clubs are avoiding signing free agents to make sure their compensation is not affected. Collingwood should have been able to just sign Roughead.
    That is where things like waivers can come in handy. An aspect of list management in us sports that assists in managing cap space/delisting etc. can't happen in the current environment due to players getting too big a say in where they go.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep reading people saying to 'Scrap the compensation pick...'.

Ummm - how is it 'FREE' agency if the club to where the player is moving has to give up a pick?

I don't have an issue with the compensation picks - just with the fact that the formula for determining what they are seems to be a complete mystery!
    No, just scrap the compensation pick full stop. The club that lost the player gets nothing.

5. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem with the current system is that the players have virtually all the power, and the clubs have none.

To even the playing field I would:

- Only a player that has attained free agency status and is out of contract has the right to nominate which club they want to play for.

- Any other player that wants to change clubs before they are a free agent, regardless whether they are still contracted or not, is allowed a minimal no trade clause - ie they can nominate a set number of clubs that they don't want to go to (up to 6). Their club is then free to trade them to ANY of the other 12 clubs in a deal that suits the club best.

- Scrap father son and academy nominations - if we want Rhylee West then draft him at 7, hope he is still around at 27 or trade up in the draft on draft night. Otherwise he spends his 1st 6 seasons elsewhere, and can "come home" once he is a free agent.

- Scrap free agency compensation - the club has had 6 years to re-sign a player long term. If they want out, the compensation is extra salary cap space.
    Footscray member since 1980.

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's laughable that pretty much every football observer/ commentator has said we will struggle to fill the hole in defence left by Adams and the small forward/part time mid role left by Dalhaus.

Thus rating our trade period poorly.

Dalhaus averaged 8 goals a year over the last 3 years, and kicked only 2 last year.
    Adams averaged 9 games a year over the last 3 years and played only 6 last year.

Don't they do ANY research???

We have done well in my opinion to move both of them on, and even better that they both made the decision for us.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    No, just scrap the compensation pick full stop. The club that lost the player gets nothing.
    Yep. It's the obvious way to fix the issue of inconsistent compo rewards.

Swings and roundabouts.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    The biggest problem with the current system is that the players have virtually all the power, and the clubs have none.

To even the playing field I would:

- Only a player that has attained free agency status and is out of contract has the right to nominate which club they want to play for.

- Any other player that wants to change clubs before they are a free agent, regardless whether they are still contracted or not, is allowed a minimal no trade clause - ie they can nominate a set number of clubs that they don't want to go to (up to 6). Their club is then free to trade them to ANY of the other 12 clubs in a deal that suits the club best.

- Scrap father son and academy nominations - if we want Rhylee West then draft him at 7, hope he is still around at 27 or trade up in the draft on draft night. Otherwise he spends his 1st 6 seasons elsewhere, and can "come home" once he is a free agent.

- Scrap free agency compensation - the club has had 6 years to re-sign a player long term. If they want out, the compensation is extra salary cap space.
    Agree aside from father sons. There has to be a little bit of room for sentimentality in the game and the father sons concept is it. Yes it disproportionately affects newer sides, but over time that will even out.

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Weird that I just caught a glimpse of Roughie in a Collingwood jumper... and felt somewhat heartbroken..!

Right outcome for all, but still quite hurtful!

Hopefully will see him amongst the past players & officials someday..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Yep. It's the obvious way to fix the issue of inconsistent compo rewards.

Swings and roundabouts.
    Yep.

So...where exactly are the swings for a club like ours?

Swings and roundabouts are great if you are Hawthorn and it is nothing but incoming players...it isn't so good if you are a middle of the pack side (or worse) who are always on the downside of a transaction. If you want this approach then the team that holds a players free agency 'rights' so to speak has to be given the opportunity to either pay more $ or offer additional years than any other club to enable them to compete...

We had people on this board complaining about the lack of compensation for Dahl. Imagine if we got NOTHING at all when he left?

Smart drafting and good player development should be a net positive - if players you have spent a tonne of resources on decide to leave after a league mandated period of time and there is a 'free' agency concept (players can move to another club without cost or impact) then a form of compensation MUST be in place.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why? It isn't in place in many leagues across the world and works just fine. With the salary cap in place there will always be some form of equalization. Less than 10 players leave by free agency a year i don't understand the fuss

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.

So...where exactly are the swings for a club like ours?

Swings and roundabouts are great if you are Hawthorn and it is nothing but incoming players...it isn't so good if you are a middle of the pack side (or worse) who are always on the downside of a transaction. If you want this approach then the team that holds a players free agency 'rights' so to speak has to be given the opportunity to either pay more $ or offer additional years than any other club to enable them to compete...

We had people on this board complaining about the lack of compensation for Dahl. Imagine if we got NOTHING at all when he left?

Smart drafting and good player development should be a net positive - if players you have spent a tonne of resources on decide to leave after a league mandated period of time and there is a 'free' agency concept (players can move to another club without cost or impact) then a form of compensation MUST be in place.
    What we would have done is gotten to his penultimate year and said. here is a new contract. Are you going to sign this new/improved offer? If the answer is no then we would have traded him like Port traded Chad. This is what currently happens in World Soccer. Good players who are in demand don't get to the point that they can walk to another club in their prime. They are sold or they re-sign.

18. Likes chef, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think anyone can talk about equalisation credibly in this discussion when almost always free agents and high profile trades seem to benefit clubs well and truly on the right side of the fixture and exposure inequities within the game.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes SonofScray, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding of free agency is that the player is free of a contract and can move without restriction.

22. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don’t think anyone can talk about equalisation credibly in this discussion when almost always free agents and high profile trades seem to benefit clubs well and truly on the right side of the fixture and exposure inequities within the game.
    Spot on . Not sure the world game is an example we should be throwing up
    The AFL parades a fair and even comp, but free agency is making the strong stronger