Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  62
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Taylor Duryea

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I suppose if Lloyd & Duryea mean less Honeychurch & Smith we'll be better served.

To what extent, let's see ...
    Spot on. We are already a better team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I suppose if Lloyd & Duryea mean less Honeychurch & Smith we'll be better served.

To what extent, let's see ...
    i think it shows as to where we are at in that we have recruited Lloyd and Duryea and yet still retain Honeychurch and Smith. I don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    i think it shows as to where we are at in that we have recruited Lloyd and Duryea and yet still retain Honeychurch and Smith. I don't get it.
    We haven’t retained honeychurch yet.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We haven’t retained honeychurch yet.
    And I would of retained Honeychurch before Smith if I HAD To pick one.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    And I would of retained Honeychurch before Smith if I HAD To pick one.
    To quote the Old El Paso girl, "why not both?".

As every day gets closer, I fear Smith & Honeychurch will be on the rookie list next year. I can understand, not agree, the brains trust wanting to see if Smith can make it. But Honeychurch has proven he can't. I fear he will take up a spot next year. He should've been cut already. Frankly, it should've been done last year instead of forcing Cloke into retirement to keep him on the main list. Bad decision all round, leaving aside we couldn't score this year and Cloke being able to kick goals better than occasionally.

In this context I feel much better about Lloyd nailing basic shots HC can't, and Duryea impacting games like Smith struggles to. But if we keep HC in any capacity, he must compromat of the highest order on a lot of people.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Duryea's career-best

It took Taylor Duryea just eight games as a Bulldog to achieve a new career-best.

The experienced defender went past the magic 30-disposal mark for the first time in his 126-game AFL career on Sunday, to play a pivotal role in the win against Melbourne.

Duryea finished with 31 touches – at a disposal efficiency of more than 90 per cent – to provide the Bulldogs with plenty of drive out of defence (six rebound-50s) and into attack (six inside-50s).

After missing two months of the season with a hip injury, Duryea has now settled in, and is making an impact in a Bulldogs’ side that has won four of its past five matches.

“It was just one of those games that panned out my way personally, but I’m just happy to be part of the make-up of that back seven and starting to have a positive influence on the group,” Duryea told media on Wednesday.

“Obviously I was out for a little while being injured, but I’m starting to find my feet and getting to used to playing with a new club.”

The Bulldogs will encounter St Kilda this week – led by interim coach Brett Ratten, a former assistant coach in Duryea’s time at Hawthorn.

A win would edge the Bulldogs closer to the top eight.

“They’re probably going to come out with some extra venom,” Duryea said.

“But I think out position with where we are right now, we just have to continue to play good footy and that’s what we’re doing.

“Our focus doesn’t change… we just want to keep improving on what we’re doing.”

Gun midfielder Tom Liberatore is expected to return from a knee injury, in what would be a “massive lift”.

"When they’re firing it's a really tough midfield to play against, and I think it's one of the best midfields in the game,” Duryea said.

“So to have (Tom) come back in and complement all the work that ‘Bont’ and ‘Dunks’ have been doing would be fantastic.”

Another potential inclusion will be star half-back Caleb Daniel, who is pushing to return from a hamstring.

And Duryea says there is room for he and Daniel to form a damaging partnership in defence.

“I played in a bit of a different role to Caleb, I think we complement each other well,” he said.

“He’s going to step back into the side, no doubt, when he’s ready to go and continue to have an impact.

“If we can complement each other and work together, I’m sure we can both be potent with the ball-in-hand.”

8. Thanks azabob, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I demand a royalty for this article.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes azabob, 1eyedog, Ghost Dog, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I demand a royalty for this article.
    Ha, I thought of posting it in your Career Best thread but didn't want to muddy it.

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think it's one of the best midfields in the game,” Duryea said. ”
    Who has a better midfield? no one.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not enthusuastic about Duryea coming to the club, but he has been a fantastic addition.

It is noticeable that we have defended significantly better with him in the side.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like they are expecting Bont to be available.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I wasn't for Duryea either because I felt he was just depth in a position that we're pretty strong in; will admit being wrong on this because he has been phenemonal since he established himself in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Yeah I wasn't for Duryea either because I felt he was just depth in a position that we're pretty strong in; will admit being wrong on this because he has been phenemonal since he established himself in the team.
    He's a better kick than a lot of our players.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

18. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    It's a shame he was injured for so long because it's just taken a lot longer for people to see his value.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

20. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it a coincidence that we seem to be defending a lot better with Duryea in and Caleb Daniel out?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.