Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  62
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Taylor Duryea

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Pick 59. That’s what this guy cost.

Another great game last night. Love everything he brings to our club.

Second hardest player at the club behind Liberatore.

Now will be the back line general for a few weeks while Keath is out.
    There’s an element of Matty Boyd in him. Hard working, strong ethic, leader on the field and behind the scenes and no frills - playing outstanding footy in the late years of his career

Post Thanks / Like

He's been one of our best all season. With no Wood for large chunks of the year and Crozier being down on form, he's been that defensive general and quite a handy stopper. Potentially top 5 in our B&F, absolutely top 10.

3. Likes bulldogtragic, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's been so good this year. Incredibly tough, smart and a good user. I'm a huge fan.

He's on the Sunday Footy Show right now and he's a great speaker. Stupid, sexy Ramsay Bolton.
    "It's over. It's all over."

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    There’s an element of Matty Boyd in him. Hard working, strong ethic, leader on the field and behind the scenes and no frills - playing outstanding footy in the late years of his career
    Good comparison. He is like the General down back and provides experience from his Hawks days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Good comparison. He is like the General down back and provides experience from his Hawks days.
    I have said it a few times, he organises our backline along with the Chief.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Become a very important cog in our team defence.

Reads the play, is tough, uses the ball well. Like the Boyd comparison actually. They look very different doing what they do, but it’s a similar type role / importance for the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Doc has been a great acquisition for the dogs, despite missing a few games due to injury. Tough as nails and controls the defence.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Doc has been a great acquisition for the dogs, despite missing a few games due to injury. Tough as nails and controls the defence.
    I agree, but have you spoken to any The Family Club supporters about him? The ones I have, didn't rate him, were happy to see him go and couldn't believe anyone paid anything for him. He was a whipping boy with them, by their own admission. Their take on him was that he could only be relied on ultimately to stuff things up. If he did something good, then straight away he would do something doubly bad.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I agree, but have you spoken to any The Family Club supporters about him? The ones I have, didn't rate him, were happy to see him go and couldn't believe anyone paid anything for him. He was a whipping boy with them, by their own admission. Their take on him was that he could only be relied on ultimately to stuff things up. If he did something good, then straight away he would do something doubly bad.
    I don't care what they say. I only rate what I have seen, and he has done well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't care what they say. I only rate what I have seen, and he has done well.
    Yeah he's been good for us, but I worry about his body this year.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    A couple of parochial Hawks colleagues regarded him as a very good player in a good team but not someone you can rely on in the bigger games. At Ballarat games it's a lot easier to see the value in him in the way he organises his other men's club colleagues and at some training sessions I've seen him driving some team mates in the rehab group sessions.
    Just getting on the park frequently enough is his challenge.

I can see him moving into coaching after his playing days are over over.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok player, solid when fit.

Good leadership traits, I think that's important in a club that lacks natural leaders off the field as much as on.

Post Thanks / Like

Duryea's been great. I'm sure he will continue to be great.

We still need to be planning for him to finish up - he's getting old now and always seems to miss a few weeks with injury each year...those week's shouldn't be an 'adventure' - it should be clear that when Duryea is out, "Player-X" is in as the #1 small defender.

Who is "player-x"? Goodness knows!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why Sydney Stack is the most appealing of all the DFA's. I can only speak for his on field talents, and it's not fair for me to pass judgement on his mental state behind closed doors.

I believe he has a lot of desirable attributes. Specifically, if Duryea and even Richards are out, he does have the ability to match up on a Charlie Cameron type who hurt us this year.

Wings have also been a problem in years gone by, and the absence of Hunter only compounds this problem. Stack does have the ability to play this role.

Finally, it's been well documented the need for more forward pressure in our front 50. Stack can apply pressure and has x-factor.

Rookie's all have risks, provided we can support Stack and he buys in, he has the biggest potential to be successful with multiple roles and opportunities available. Is our culture strong enough? If not, it is fair to ask why it isn't up to standard.

18. Likes GVGjr, hujsh, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    This is why Sydney Stack is the most appealing of all the DFA's. I can only speak for his on field talents, and it's not fair for me to pass judgement on his mental state behind closed doors.

I believe he has a lot of desirable attributes. Specifically, if Duryea and even Richards are out, he does have the ability to match up on a Charlie Cameron type who hurt us this year.

Wings have also been a problem in years gone by, and the absence of Hunter only compounds this problem. Stack does have the ability to play this role.

Finally, it's been well documented the need for more forward pressure in our front 50. Stack can apply pressure and has x-factor.

Rookie's all have risks, provided we can support Stack and he buys in, he has the biggest potential to be successful with multiple roles and opportunities available. Is our culture strong enough? If not, it is fair to ask why it isn't up to standard.
    Good post. Completely agree. Stack's skill set fills a couple of roles for us. As you say if we don't trust our culture to help with some of his challenges then why not? And what are we doing to address it?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite