Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating The Trade Period 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    E

At least we're looking to be consistent across the spectrum of the club. As dull off the field as on it. I haven't felt this unenthusiastic about football since the 2018 season.
    On field needs to be better but off field we are doing quite well I reckon.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

We went into the trade period without a second rounder and have gained a couple of experienced players. Dahl has been ordinary the past two years, Roughy is struggling as a ruckman and can't play other positions, and Adams has been plagued with injury, so we didn't lose much. I rate our trade period a B. WE got some 2nd round picks and we hold on to pick 7, gain another first rounder in West.

Overall we have a better team going into 2019
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pluses
    - Didn't lose Tim English
    - Got the fragile Marcus Adams and cooked Jordan Roughead off our books
    - Traded in Sam Lloyd - small forwards who can kick straight are worth gold in today's game
    - Kept pick 7

Minuses
    - Missed out on Wingard and May
    - Got unders for Luke Dahlhaus

Overall rating = C
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

For mine May was never on the table and did we really need him? Not for the price Melbourne paid.

Dahl leaving is not great, but the given his Instagram feed and his form drop off it was probably win for both parties. 27 is a little less than we would have hoped for, but probably right.

Adams - I think we made out like bandits. Pick 2 will probably be a live pick and a third round pick linked to the Suns means that it will be a natural pick in the late 30's unless a miracle happens.

Lloyd - solid citizen who is an upgrade on Honeychurch

DUryea - solid citizen who will keep he pressure on our HBF and maybe get a few games

Keeping pick 7 - Chad would have been nice, but I still think we can make finals without him. He is a hot and cold player and I don't see that changing at the Hawks - I suspect he will have a big pre-season look like a star for 5 rounds and then return to type.

Overall a C for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reasonably satisfied.

We had a crack at an A-grader but weren't prepared to offer what he was wanting, and got pipped by a better credentialed club.

Aside from that we improved our list marginally and kept pick seven without doing anything silly. Not sure what other deals were realistic chances of being done beyond what we did, I suppose we'll find out in due course.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m ok with it
    Young blokes come into the system ready to go now .
    Dahlhaus- As G said a big destractor and played distracted the last two years
    Ok with the compo
    Adams - Made of glass , and as a mate calls him . Cinderella
    Overs in return
    Roughead - Great clubman , but see above
    Didn’t expect much in return

In- Lloyd , copping a bagging on here, but if Richmond has one injury in the last two years . He would have played.
    Dureya , better kicking version of Biggs .
    I think a few here underestimate how quickly draftees can impact on a club .
    I’m disappointed we didn’t get our main target in Wingard , but the pick 7 retained eases the pain .
    D
    Imagine if we were Gold Coast or GWS , that would have broken woof .

Post Thanks / Like

Only three players interested me at all. Shiel, Wingard, Lynch. We had a big crack at Chad and the way I read it the Hawks were prepared to offer more so they got their man but I think they've paid a high price. No one else traded in my eyes would be better than what we can get from this draft. I'm not sold on May.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m ok with it , in the end we lost four players due to injuries who couldn’t get on the park, traded two for two who can.
    It’s like we have got two more players on our list and another two who aren’t injury prone to come .
    So In effect 4 extra players on our list.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

C

We went hard on need, not on names. I’d have loved Scully at that price, when fit he’d be perfect for us IMO. I think we need an elite outside mid and an electric forward and there wasn’t much on offer that we had a shot at. Neale always to Brisbane and beams always to pies. Shiel and Wingard the only 2 I’d have thrown the sink at - though jury is out on a Wingard so time will tell. Not a fan of any player that publicly says footy isn’t important to him at 25 yo and takes his gaming rig with him on interstate trips (if true). His body language stank this season IMO.

The thing I am exhausted with is us being a plan b for players. First choice is always bombers, pies, hawks etc and I’m sick of this reputation as a basket case AFL club. Until we address that we’re nevwr going to attract genuine A-Graders, which if we have a proper tilt in a year or two we are going to need to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    C

We went hard on need, not on names. I’d have loved Scully at that price, when fit he’d be perfect for us IMO. I think we need an elite outside mid and an electric forward and there wasn’t much on offer that we had a shot at. Neale always to Brisbane and beams always to pies. Shiel and Wingard the only 2 I’d have thrown the sink at - though jury is out on a Wingard so time will tell. Not a fan of any player that publicly says footy isn’t important to him at 25 yo and takes his gaming rig with him on interstate trips (if true). His body language stank this season IMO.

The thing I am exhausted with is us being a plan b for players. First choice is always bombers, pies, hawks etc and I’m sick of this reputation as a basket case AFL club. Until we address that we’re nevwr going to attract genuine A-Graders, which if we have a proper tilt in a year or two we are going to need to do.
    That’s a very outside view us being a basket case in fact we are the opposite on and off the field , off field we have destroyed all debt and make a good profit every year now.
    The last 4 years we have won an AFL flag , 2 VFL flags and even a woman’s one, apart from the hawks we are probably the most successful in the last 4 years.
    Last year our player profile was shown in history would win a wooden spoon but we ended up better than a few clubs, as an article says previously we actually overperformed.

It’s a total furphy we are a basket case.
    Bring back the biff

12. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not too bad.

We have brought in some experienced guys in Sam Lloyd and Taylor Durayea who will help us forward and back. We have lost Adams who while I would have liked to hang on to him longer was very injury prone which was frustrating, Roughy needed a new challenge and Dahlhaus well I'm not dissapointed he left with some of the attitudinal issues he had. Dahl hasn't been the same player for a while now.

Wingard was the big one we were going for so a little dissapointed we didn't get him but hey it's not the end of the world that we didn't get him.

Big year for Tom Campbell who I hope can do well and get more senior game time in the ruck.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    C

A basket case ? Gee there’s some over the top hysteria on social forums . Clubs never been further away from being a basket case .
    Thank god there wasn’t social forums in 96 or 89 . We’ve missed out on two big plays ,Hurleyand Wingard . I get the frustration, but let’s not overplay the situation

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the negativity. Sure, it wasn't a flashy trade period but it doesn't always have to be. Until we become a finals contender we simply won't attract any decent names.

The additions of Lloyd and Dureya are decent depth additions that cost us very little. So can't complain at all. Like others have said, if they aren't getting a game, that can only be a good thing (unless they're injured of course )

The Adams trade would have looked very good if it was Gold Coasts 3rd rounder rather than the Hawks' but its much of a muchness. Our draft position is fairly good. I would have liked for that Dahl pick to be traded for something more valuable than going straight to West. Will be interesting to see what pick trades are done between now and the draft.

I'm happy we've kept pick 7. We're going to get a very very good kid whether it be Smith or King. I really want Smith but i can't see it happening. I'm trying to come around to B King. He does look good but tall blokes playing against midgets in the U18 will always look better than they are. But he sure does have superb agility for a big man. Bailey Smith will just be a jet. He will be that burst away mid that we crave. He's almost a guaranteed success such is his work ethic.

Missing out on Chad is the main disappointment. More so because we hyped ourselves up. I'm a bit confused as to why we became so public about it. We'll just have to add him to the list of players we want to see fade away! I'm not really fussed though because the price we would have had to have paid would have been very high going by what the Hawks gave up. I wouldn't have been comfortable giving up more than pick 7 and to be frank, the last thing i can stand right now is another player with questionable work rate. I've had enough of that since 2016.

I'm giving us a solid B. It can't be much more as we achieved very little. But it wasn't a failure. We haven't gone backwards and we didn't lose on any deals. We've got a solid draft hand and will pick up some great kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    A basket case ? Gee there’s some over the top hysteria on social forums . Clubs never been further away from being a basket case .
    Thank god there wasn’t social forums in 96 or 89 . We’ve missed out on two big plays ,Hurleyand Wingard . I get the frustration, but let’s not overplay the situation
    Agree RM. We are in a very good state right as a club fininically compared to those years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    That’s a very outside view us being a basket case in fact we are the opposite on and off the field , off field we have destroyed all debt and make a good profit every year now.
    The last 4 years we have won an AFL flag , 2 VFL flags and even a woman’s one, apart from the hawks we are probably the most successful in the last 4 years.
    Last year our player profile was shown in history would win a wooden spoon but we ended up better than a few clubs, as an article says previously we actually overperformed.

It’s a total furphy we are a basket case.
    So why aren't we an attractive destination? I mean it wasn't that long ago we won it all but only cast offs looking for a paycheck want to come here now.