Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  93
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Negativity? LOL. In Bevo we trust!

Hey, I'm in complete agreement. I don't *want* to wait, but I just think we're going to have to, unless a lot of things magically click into place.

As I see it, there are three critical hurdles we're going to have to clear to get there; our inexperience, our injury plague and our inability to kick scores and forward craft in general. If we somehow crack the trifecta who knows? I'm just not sure we should hold our collective breath, for the coming season at least.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Hey, I'm in complete agreement. I don't *want* to wait, but I just think we're going to have to, unless a lot of things magically click into place.

As I see it, there are three critical hurdles we're going to have to clear to get there; our inexperience, our injury plague and our inability to kick scores and forward craft in general. If we somehow crack the trifecta who knows? I'm just not sure we should hold our collective breath, for the coming season at least.
    I think you have nailed the three area's for concern.

Getting and keeping our players fit is a key one for us as I'm sure we have all had enough with the ongoing theme of "conservatively managing players" with the injuries. While I'm reluctant to say we had bad luck with injuries I think a repeat again next season of the almost revolving door into the medico's will be a reflection of bad management.

Ironically if we get the above right the inexperienced list that was often highlighted after a loss this year is substantially diminished.

And finally the issue of keeping the scoreboard ticking over, we just can't have a repeat of the dry spells we endured last year.

Bevo has the players to get improved results next year, I'm confident that we can prepare this list for a long run of successful seasons.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think it should be a slow build. We have the talent to be in finals. The vast majority of our list should be better next year than they were last. Many of those should be about to have break out seasons.

Id have loved Wingard as I feel our list just needs tweaking to be ready for a tilt again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will be interesting to see where they play him
    Roughead has always been a 2nd ruck IMO. Good around the ground but not strong enough for the ruck and too slow for defense
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Yep - you’ve nailed the key areas of improvement. Makes winning 2016 with loads of injuries, a young team and inefficient fwd 50 entries (just lots and lots of them) even more special.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Roughead has always been a 2nd ruck IMO. Good around the ground but not strong enough for the ruck and too slow for defense
    But he won't take Mason Cox's spot so he either plays in defence or not at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else starting to get a bit excited at the prospect of Picken and Liberatore back on the track early and hopefully a refreshed Tory Dickson?

Picken looks to be in ripping condition and if Libba gets that hunger back that will be great news for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Excited and worried. Libba and Picko will add immeasurably to our leadership, mongrel and class. And Dicko is not only a great goal kicker he is very crafty (those sneaky goals in finals in ‘16 when he quickly and sneakily stood up and scuppered a goal were imo as brilliant as a lot of Stringer’s plays) but it seems so long since he has put a string of games together (no pun intended). Another one I am nervous about is Wood. I felt he started to return to good form when he returned and played last few games last year, however whenever he runs I pray he does not ping yet another hammy.

If these four can regain their form and play most games along with Bonti, Maclean, Macrae, JJ, Cordy and Naughton I reckon we are a finals bound. Oh, and goodness forbid if 1 or more of Boyd, English and Trengrove suffer major injuries or drop in ruck form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Anyone else starting to get a bit excited at the prospect of Picken and Liberatore back on the track early and hopefully a refreshed Tory Dickson?

Picken looks to be in ripping condition and if Libba gets that hunger back that will be great news for us.
    In honesty, I'm a little worried about Picken. Not about his footy output, but his health. Many people much more knowledgeable than me likely giving him the green light but to me last years injury was career ending for a clear family man with 3 kids.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    In honesty, I'm a little worried about Picken. Not about his footy output, but his health. Many people much more knowledgeable than me likely giving him the green light but to me last years injury was career ending for a clear family man with 3 kids.
    I don't think we will risk him if he hasn't passed the tests so while it's a concern if he is fit to play then I guess we will pick him
    Like you I'm not sure if I would take that risk if I were him but it's clearly a choice between Picken and the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think we will risk him if he hasn't passed the tests so while it's a concern if he is fit to play then I guess we will pick him
    Like you I'm not sure if I would take that risk if I were him but it's clearly a choice between Picken and the club.
    Given Koby and a few others have retired based on very similar injuries (based on media reports), it seems odd on the face of it Picko hasn't. There must be more to the story and a lower risk for him having long term effects, although I'm not sure how definitive the experts could really be.

Post Thanks / Like

Picko needs to wear a helmet. I know the medical professions says it makes no difference but clearly it prevents concussions. Gary Wilson, Nathan Burke, Dean Kemp and Angus Brayshaw were never concussed once they started wearing helmets, and prior to that they were all multiple concussion victims.

Doctors keep crapping on about the rattling of the brain being the cause of concussion - in 40 years I've never seen a single player concussed whilst wearing a helmet but I've seen plenty saved from being concussed.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Picko needs to wear a helmet. I know the medical professions says it makes no difference but clearly it prevents concussions. Gary Wilson, Nathan Burke, Dean Kemp and Angus Brayshaw were never concussed once they started wearing helmets, and prior to that they were all multiple concussion victims.

Doctors keep crapping on about the rattling of the brain being the cause of concussion - in 40 years I've never seen a single player concussed whilst wearing a helmet but I've seen plenty saved from being concussed.
    AFL maybe, in the NFL however every single concussion in the sport ever.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    In NFL, the velocity of two concrete-like objects (their helmets) bashing into each other leaves no absorption for the head. Footy helmets are soft and pliable (yet very strong) and allow sufficient absorption for the head.

Helmets in the AFL is a real hobby horse of mine. Clearly they work, and yet clearly they are dismissed as not being of any use. Something doesn’t add up.

Anyway I really hope Picko wears one.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes Mofra, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    In the NFL they grow up playing with hard helmets so never learn to protect the head. Contact sports without helmets (e.g. AFL, both codes of rugby) have lower rates of concussion IIRC.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers