Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  93
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Negativity? LOL. In Bevo we trust!

Sit back for a moment and consider what having the youngest list in the comp and fielding the youngest team in the comp for all of 2018 means....

It means that there is a glut of players with collective improvement in them.

English will only get better, as will Williams, Dale, Richards, Schache, Young, Dunkley, Cordy, Boyd, Bont, McLean, Lipinski, Greene & Lynch... They’re all pre peak... which is scary for Naughton and Bont...

Then consider that Libba and Picken can only provide more than they have this year - pretty much by definition.

Then consider that just about all of our list except for Morris, Dickson and maybe Wood are still in their peak years, its hard not to see us being well in the up.

So with that huge core of our list still to peak, if and when it does click, look out! Finally, we effectively have two first round draft picks - which gives us an advantage over most other clubs.

Most other lists are in plateau or are declining territory. Our investment in youth will only pay off over the next 12-24 months.

Then consider that Jong, Hunter, Macrae, Jojo etc. have many years of prime ahead of them and, list wise, I think we’re the best set up we have been for 12-15 years. And that includes the obvious successes. Bullish.com!
    Last edited by Webby; 18-10-2018 at 12:26 PM.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, bornadog, Torpedo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I think we’re the best set up we have been for 12-15 years. And that includes the obvious successes. Bullish.com!
    Yes, that’s our slogan for Season 2019: BULLISH!
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Then consider that just about all of our list except for Morris, Dickson and maybe Wood are still in their peak years, its hard not to see us being well in the up.
    For mine Wood was horribly mismanaged last pre-season and it really impacted negatively on his year. If he's actually spending pre-season as a backman - his best position and where he's been AA standard in the past - he will be a much better player for it.

Mentioned elsewhere, but Richards surely takes Dahl's wing with stints forward. He's a substantial upgrade in pretty much every facet of the game, save for getting up after getting knocked down which Dahl was supreme in. We don't need Richards back - JJ is elite there so should play there, with Suckling rotating through and Duryea an option. Crozier plays tall and short and intercepts like Wood.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I have total trust in Beveridge now more than ever.

He has shown that he isn't just a nice guy and he has the mental fortitude to stick to his guns and make the hard decisions for the betterment of the moving forward. If that means getting rid of fan favourites who have probably given us their best already, or those who maybe don't have the commitment required, then so be it. So often in the past we would of never let a club move on fan favourites but I think we are a little more mature now and can handle it. Well most of us can anyway.

I love GVGjr's comment about not getting any shiny new toys. People don't seem to get excited about developing what you already have. It's much easier to get excited about the new apple iPhone we just bought, at least until the novelty wears off.

This thread is about getting excited so let's get excited about pick 7!
    We are going to get top class kid, maybe Bailey Smith or one of the King brothers from all accounts. I'm tipping we won't be so upset that we didn't get Wingard half way through next year.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These are pretty much my thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We are underestimating our list just because some other teams got some shiny toys

We have a great blend of talented players along with a list of emerging players many teams would be keen to have

Bontempelli and Macrae are two standout stars, if Liberatore gets his focus again that's huge for us and Johannisen rounds a strong list

We then have the likes of Boyd, Hunter, Dunkley and McLean who could all easily take a step forward next year and we should get a bit more from a fit Easton Wood.

We have reliable soldiers in Trengove, Crozier and Suckling which might now be supported by Duryea and Lloyd and we could have both Picken and Dickson in better form than 2018 and we have a warrior like Morris and a fit Wallis.

Now here is where things get interesting for us

From the class of 2016 we have English, Lipinski, Young and Greene who are all very talented and will be starting their 3rd pre-season with us. From a development point of view that is huge for us. English has plenty of potential, Lipinski got better as the season rolled on and Greene showed something at the back end of the season. Young was always going to take some time but he will be ready next year to take a step forward.

From 2015, I've already mentioned Dunkley but how exciting was Bailey Williams this year who also arrived that year?
    From 2014 I've mentioned McLean but we also have Caleb Daniel and hopefully an emerging Bailey Dale and of course Zaine Cordy

Lets then look at two players from the rookie list that have been promoted in Gowers and Lynch. Gowers led our goal kicking and also played in other positions. Lynch has great kicking skills and should get better.

And the topper was getting two diamonds from the 2017 draft in Naughton and Richards and landed Schache via a trade

Fast forward to now, we have pick 7 in what is regarded as a strong draft, we will land a father son pick who has had an impressive TAC and Vic Metro season and we will land at least two more players via the draft.

I get people are disappointed that we didn't do something big during the trade period but the draft is the future for clubs like ours and we will bring in some talented types for sure.

We can make the Bulldogs great again, we can and we will. We've cleared out many of the distracted players and while it might bite us in 2019 we will be right in 12 months time.

A message to Bevo, the coaches and the fitness and development team, it's now time for you all to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

Stick with us fans, it's going to get interesting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I have total trust in Beveridge now more than ever.

He has shown that he isn't just a nice guy and he has the mental fortitude to stick to his guns and make the hard decisions for the betterment of the moving forward. If that means getting rid of fan favourites who have probably given us their best already, or those who maybe don't have the commitment required, then so be it. So often in the past we would of never let a club move on fan favourites but I think we are a little more mature now and can handle it. Well most of us can anyway.

I love GVGjr's comment about not getting any shiny new toys. People don't seem to get excited about developing what you already have. It's much easier to get excited about the new apple iPhone we just bought, at least until the novelty wears off.

This thread is about getting excited so let's get excited about pick 7!
    We are going to get top class kid, maybe Bailey Smith or one of the King brothers from all accounts. I'm tipping we won't be so upset that we didn't get Wingard half way through next year.
    I'm going to be very honest here but I didn't think Bevo was overly impressive when he arrived at the club. He took a very good list that wasn't getting on that well with the previous coach and got them playing attacking football. It wasn't that much harder than that. I was particularly appalled with the way we went about the 2017 season and I felt like a lot of that rested on Bevo shoulders. He should have sent a player or two back to Footscray until the playing group got the message but he didn't however, come the end of the year and knowing that the club had lost the focus he went about resetting that. Stringer was gone and it shook up the supporters and made us the focus in the media but in the end I think most of us knew it was the right course. Things didn't improve though this year and once again I think there was some very honest comments made to some in the group at the end of the season which fast tracked their departure. Bevo led that charge

Attitude is everything in the AFL. GWS have proven that more often than not talent will only take you so far.

We brought in players with great attitudes like Trengove, Crozier and now Duryea and Lloyd and hopefully our other leaders like Wood, Bontempelli, Macrae, Hunter, Wallis, Dunkley, JJ, Picken, Dickson and Morris can all work with our talented youngsters on getting back a team first culture.

It's going to sound bad but I think Bevo has a better grasp now than when he first arrived. He had an easy ride to the ultimate success and now after two very disappointing years I think he has just arrived at the starting block and is ready to get us moving forward again. I loved the way he was heading down to the interchange area early in quarters when things weren't working. He's got the hunger back and the playing group will pick up on that and follow his lead.

With the experience of the roller coaster of performances we have had I genuinely believe he's now ready to get us moving forward again.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I’d put Collingwood and essendons midfield (w Shiel) ahead of ours as promising young midfields.
    Why?

Bont and Macrae are better than anyone either of those sides can roll out - Sidebottom is the only challenger and he is 27 not 22.

Shiel - all the heavy lifting has been done at the Giants by Ward and Coniglio...he has had the easiest job in footy - sliding in between those two as an inside mid and behind Whitfield and Kelly on the outside...Essendon paid overs.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes Mofra, Topdog, bornadog, ratsmac, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Why?

Bont and Macrae are better than anyone either of those sides can roll out - Sidebottom is the only challenger and he is 27 not 22.

Shiel - all the heavy lifting has been done at the Giants by Ward and Coniglio...he has had the easiest job in footy - sliding in between those two as an inside mid and behind Whitfield and Kelly on the outside...Essendon paid overs.
    I still don't see how essendon addressed their problem of inside mids. Shiel is not an inside mid. They are just after the shiniest toy on the self. Not surprised they overpaid given Shiel's shiny hair.

14. Likes WBFC4FFC, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why?

Couldnt agree more with this

We may not be at the top now in terms of midfields, but we have more scope for growth and improvement than any of the others

Essendon paid overs, and Im not convinced it has made them better than us anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with a lot of the sentiments added here. The key things that stand out as areas where we could be exposed are:

1. Hubris - I am all for trying new things but I don't want to see another preseason where clear strengths of players and how they benefit the team are so readily avoided.

2. Culture - Hopefully our list management and coaching teams have the balance right, and the right players on the list to take us forward as a committed and united team

3. Injuries - We need to have our best players on the park as regularly as possible, and consistency in our second and third tier contributors. The difference between a semblance of continuity in best 22 and otherwise was stark these past two years

4. Incremental improvement - there's no point in being the youngest side in the competition and expecting positive development to just happen. Players and coaches alike have a huge responsibility these coming 12-24 months to ensure stagnation seen at times these past couple of years isn't repeated

As for our trade period recruits, it will be interesting to see if those incumbent on the list can keep them out of the side next year. Assuming each of the former don't suffer injuries or substantial lapses in form, we should be going OK if they can't crack a spot in the team.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Why?

Not disagreeing with our potential, but don’t think we’re there. Bottom line we have 2 genuine A grade mids now - Bont and Macrae. I think McClean, Libba, Williams (love him) and even wally are each capable of getting there.

Compare that with pies - treloar, Adams, de goey all kids, then load pendles, sidebottom and beams on top - I think they are the best midfield in the comp.

As for shiel - he is elite. I think he is a great mix of inside and outside work. Coniglio has been injured a lot before 2018, so I think shiel, ward and kelly have carried their midfield of late. Big loss for giants IMO.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not disagreeing with our potential, but don’t think we’re there. Bottom line we have 2 genuine A grade mids now - Bont and Macrae. I think McClean, Libba, Williams (love him) and even wally are each capable of getting there.
    OK. If you are including Libba then we have THREE genuine 'a' grade mids...and you have left out Hunter (B+F winner) and Dunkley who was awesome playing inside the game this year, and Caleb Daniel...basically you are talking about a group of guys who outperformed/out-hustled the Josh Kennedy Swan's (featuring newly minted Brownlow Medallist Tom Mitchell) on GF day 2x years ago...

Compare that with pies - treloar, Adams, de goey all kids, then load pendles, sidebottom and beams on top - I think they are the best midfield in the comp.
    I hear this. A lot. So...where were all those so called midfield guns on Grand Final day? Getting beaten by a WC midfield featuring Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Redden and Hutchings...

Sidebottom was tagged out of it, Pendlebury unsighted, Adams was EPIC, De Goey anchored to the goal-square...their 2nd best mid was Sier who is just a kid and will battle for centre square time with Beams coming in. Just like Ablett going to Geelong, adding more of what you've already got doesn't necessarily improve the stew.

As for shiel - he is elite. I think he is a great mix of inside and outside work. Coniglio has been injured a lot before 2018, so I think shiel, ward and kelly have carried their midfield of late. Big loss for giants IMO.
    Actually, Coniglio was injured in 2017...apart from that, he has been ultra reliable! I'm sure Shiel will play some good games for Essendon but how is he the solution to what ails them?

20. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good OP. Well, you give Richmond a close shave at the arse end of the year, ( with a bunch of kids no less) you know you are on the right track. Billy Gowers is a great young player and very excited to see how he develops. I heard that he played through injury well this season and he seems like a very tough nut. Our team cohesion seems good between different types of players.
    Caleb Daniel could also have a break out year and do some serious work down there at half back.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 18-10-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

OK. If you are including Libba then we have THREE genuine 'a' grade mids...and you have left out Hunter (B+F winner) and Dunkley who was awesome playing inside the game this year, and Caleb Daniel...basically you are talking about a group of guys who outperformed/out-hustled the Josh Kennedy Swan's (featuring newly minted Brownlow Medallist Tom Mitchell) on GF day 2x years ago...

I hear this. A lot. So...where were all those so called midfield guns on Grand Final day? Getting beaten by a WC midfield featuring Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Redden and Hutchings...

Sidebottom was tagged out of it, Pendlebury unsighted, Adams was EPIC, De Goey anchored to the goal-square...their 2nd best mid was Sier who is just a kid and will battle for centre square time with Beams coming in. Just like Ablett going to Geelong, adding more of what you've already got doesn't necessarily improve the stew.

Actually, Coniglio was injured in 2017...apart from that, he has been ultra reliable! I'm sure Shiel will play some good games for Essendon but how is he the solution to what ails them?
    For me, Libba hasn’t been genuine A grade since 2016, it’s a real shame he went down this year as it would have been great to see his output in a year when his preseason was clearly better than the year before and by all accounts his head was in the game! So I’m sticking w McRae and Bont as the two genuine A graders we have today. Forgot about Dunkley - unless he improves his disposal though I’d rate him a B+ - above average but not elite. Hunter isn’t an A grader IMO, regardless of B&F, says everything that a first year player came 4th even though I’m delighted w Naughtons progress and year.

As for the pies midfield - I measure teams on consistent performances, not a single game. The GF means nothing to me in terms of assessing a teams actual midfield quality - the pies have depth and they have elite talent in there in spades. Doesn’t mean they’ll win GFs. Collingwood produced some outstanding performances across the year from thier midfield and through finals. Maybe we’ll be better than them one day but right now, and for next year we won’t in that part of the ground.

Coniglio has played 2 full seasons in 7 years! far from ultra reliable. Again - Shiel is equal
    Part inside and outside for mine, he will slot nicely into thier structure but isn’t the ultimate answer and they paid overs big time. Given thier list though - Merrett, Heppell, McGrath (maybe tier 2) Sheil - even thier tier 2 zaharakas, Smith, stringer, parish can be damaging - I still see them as ahead of us today.

Post Thanks / Like

The GF means nothing to me in terms of assessing a teams actual midfield quality.
    Ok. See - I’m pretty sure it means EVERYTHING. They were unable to deliver against a group including a couple of ‘replacement level’ mids (at best!) in Hutchings and Redden.

So tired about the hype over Collingwood’s mids...they have made one finals series in 4 years and were killed in the gf...they NEVER travel interstate and have things on their own terms at the mcg every week. Good stats and positive publicity does not mean they are a great midfield.

As for SC, he has played at least 18 games in 4 of his last 6 years...what exactly do you want?

24. Likes Mofra liked this post