Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  93
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Negativity? LOL. In Bevo we trust!

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    In NFL, the velocity of two concrete-like objects (their helmets) bashing into each other leaves no absorption for the head. Footy helmets are soft and pliable (yet very strong) and allow sufficient absorption for the head.

Helmets in the AFL is a real hobby horse of mine. Clearly they work, and yet clearly they are dismissed as not being of any use. Something doesn’t add up.

Anyway I really hope Picko wears one.
    Is that backed empirically? Amateur boxers wearing headgear were actually experiencing concussion at a higher rate than those who weren't wearing them. I believe the current attitude in boxing is that while they may help stop cuts and lacerations, headgear actually just provides a bigger target to hit and your brain will still rattle in your skull regardless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Is that backed empirically? Amateur boxers wearing headgear were actually experiencing concussion at a higher rate than those who weren't wearing them. I believe the current attitude in boxing is that while they may help stop cuts and lacerations, headgear actually just provides a bigger target to hit and your brain will still rattle in your skull regardless.
    Concussion is the result of the brain impacting on the inside of the skull. Like any other trauma it leaves bruising to the soft spot (in this case the brain) and that what causes the problem.

I like your boxing analogy and will point out that bare knuckle fighting is increasing in popularity because the surface area that you hit with a glove is so much greater than the area you hit with a bare fist. Once you get past the blood that cuts from being hit by the knuckles cause you can see that they may (and I say may) have a point.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    But he won't take Mason Cox's spot so he either plays in defence or not at all.
    With respect, a fit Roughie is a better footballer than Mason Cox and I think if he can get himself fit then he will end up in the 2nd ruck role at Collingwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    In NFL, the velocity of two concrete-like objects (their helmets) bashing into each other leaves no absorption for the head. Footy helmets are soft and pliable (yet very strong) and allow sufficient absorption for the head.

Helmets in the AFL is a real hobby horse of mine. Clearly they work, and yet clearly they are dismissed as not being of any use. Something doesn’t add up.

Anyway I really hope Picko wears one.
    No doubt but in an ever evidence based world, unfortunately the data is yet to be found to back up your statement. I’ve seen plenty of players KO’d wearing helmets so to suggest they work isn’t the entire arguement, nor does the evidence back this point up.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

5. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    No doubt but in an ever evidence based world, unfortunately the data is yet to be found to back up your statement. I’ve seen plenty of players KO’d wearing helmets so to suggest they work isn’t the entire arguement, nor does the evidence back this point up.
    Picken out for a year - do you think it was more a mental thing rather than a medical problem? I have been told it was more mental, and pressure from the family.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Picken out for a year - do you think it was more a mental thing rather than a medical problem? I have been told it was more mental, and pressure from the family.
    The reported noise, light and exercise sensitivity months after the incident would suggest it was medical. I think Liam wanted to play towards the end of the year, i'd imagine the Drs took a cautious approach due to the severity and considering our position on the ladder there was very little to gain from playing him.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

8. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    His wife is very vocal about how scary it was, but i think he is such a fierce competitor that he just wants to get back out there. I dont see him going on another year if there was a mental aspect to it - would have been too ripe an opportunity to retire if that was the case.
    The dam wall has busted!