Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tigers to unveil McMahon

This story has been out for 5 days now. Should I be shaking in my boots yet.

I know Richmond like to pump up their new recruits, but haven't they learned that picking up our dregs will get them no-where fast?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    This story has been out for 5 days now. Should I be shaking in my boots yet.

I know Richmond like to pump up their new recruits, but haven't they learned that picking up our dregs will get them no-where fast?
    McMahon isn't as much of a dreg as P. Bowden. Atleast McMahon was a consistent member of our starting 18, can't say the same for Bowden.

breed_of_dog Guest

Unlike alot of other supporters, i quite liked McMahon especially in 2005/06. I thought during those years he mopped up alot of the ball, and worked well with gilbee and Hargrave to get the ball out of defence under alot of pressure with quick handballs etc. 2007 was obviosuly a bit different, but that was across the board and not just one player. I would've kept him...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by breed_of_dog View Post
    Unlike alot of other supporters, i quite liked McMahon especially in 2005/06. I thought during those years he mopped up alot of the ball, and worked well with gilbee and Hargrave to get the ball out of defence under alot of pressure with quick handballs etc. 2007 was obviosuly a bit different, but that was across the board and not just one player. I would've kept him...

Welcome aboard. McMahon wanted to go to the Tigers and we couldn't have stopped him because they had the had first pick of the pre-season draft. We probably didn't get a great price for him but far better than getting nothing at all.
    He is a talented player but may not have the dedication that is required.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Welcome aboard. McMahon wanted to go to the Tigers and we couldn't have stopped him because they had the had first pick of the pre-season draft. We probably didn't get a great price for him but far better than getting nothing at all.
    He is a talented player but may not have the dedication that is required.
    I reckon Richmond paid way over the odds & we got an excellent pick which was well used. Had he wanted to go to Port Adelaide (who had pick 16) there's no way we would have got anywhere near the trade deal we did with Richmond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I reckon Richmond paid way over the odds & we got an excellent pick which was well used. Had he wanted to go to Port Adelaide (who had pick 16) there's no way we would have got anywhere near the trade deal we did with Richmond.
    I agree. If you look at it as Ward for McMahon then it looks pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I agree. If you look at it as Ward for McMahon then it looks pretty good.
    It's irrelevant who we selected with pick 19. I just reckon Jordan McMahon was about a latish 20's pick, particularly as he was coming off contract.

Callan Ward was just icing on the cake.

Post Thanks / Like

With Johnstone/Wood being traded for #14, and Symes, Mattner etc all traded for fairly similar second round selections I could see the argument that we could've wished for more value from the McMahon trade. I won't disagree with you that we used the pick well though, and I'm certainly happy with how it all worked out.

I just believe that on an open market, someone with McMahon's attributes could/should be traded for a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say, based on his 2006 season, we should have got more for him. But based on his 2007 season we should be over the moon with what we got. I think he would have been struggling to get a game this season in out backline. Eade had lost confidence in him last hear and dropped him twice, and if it weren't for the injuries of Griffin and Gilbee he would have spent alot more time at Werribee. So for a player that was on the fringe last year when we were struggling, pick 19 is unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like

He was among my favourite players until the whole situation arose, I had a really high opinion of him, he certainly played a part in a few of our victories in 2006- the Adelaide game especially.

However, the way he went about leaving really annoyed me- had he gone to Adelaide or Port I would have totally understood his leaving, and accepted the lower pick that we would have received, however he chose to go to Richmond who can give him 'better support than the 'previous club'', and I'm happy with the better pick that we ended up with.

breed_of_dog Guest

I just felt like we didn't do enough to change his mind maybe...but i agree totally with what you are saying.

Post Thanks / Like

I just felt like we didn't do enough to change his mind maybe...but i agree totally with what you are saying.
    I don't think they did either (and maybe for good reason) but were in no position to call the shots given it was the Tigers.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I just felt like we didn't do enough to change his mind maybe...
    Given we got pick 19 for him, the club may well have been happy with this.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Richmond paid way over the odds & we got an excellent pick which was well used.
    The club mainly Rodney was relieved to see him go Jordan just didnt like being told what to do and was always trying to do things his way. Some say he was very much like Nathan Brown in his approach towards the club as he was approaching the end of his bulldog life.

breed_of_dog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Charmdog View Post
    The club mainly Rodney was relieved to see him go Jordan just didnt like being told what to do and was always trying to do things his way. Some say he was very much like Nathan Brown in his approach towards the club as he was approaching the end of his bulldog life.
    Yeah i agree, similar to Nathan Brown. Once a player's attitude falls a bit short (through no fault of their own) Football can become too demanding and a fresh start is then needed.