Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buckenara analyses Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He has, although I disagree on Cordy - I feel he's been very good for us.
    Agreed,

A pretty realistic review but Cordy was one of our bests.
    I don't think he remembered that he had barely played a game during the 2016 finals and was playing as a stop gap defensive forward.

This year was one where he really showed he could be a key defender, his desperation and reliability a highlight.
    If it wasn't for that bad knock he received that slowed him down he would of been right up in the B&F.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cordy together with Macrae and Maclean were three of the few players that continued to show good form beyond 2016. Cordy for the most part became our best key defender. A very under rated player.

Post Thanks / Like

Buckanara thinks we can win the premiership next year. His analysis is in the herald sun. I'm trying to post it but getting a 403 error. Worth a read if someone else can post it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Buckanara thinks we can win the premiership next year. His analysis is in the herald sun. I'm trying to post it but getting a 403 error. Worth a read if someone else can post it.
    When you are posting, try paste as plain text. I can't get to it because of paywall. The 403 error is a nuisance.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When you are posting, try paste as plain text. I can't get to it because of paywall. The 403 error is a nuisance.
    Doesn't like it either. Why does the 403 error exist?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Something is definitely wrong. I tried to copy and paste it in a number of different ways and kept getting the same ‘Forbidden 403’ message.

I wouldn’t even let me quote anyone without the error code coming up (and I had the same problem the other night in the fitness thread).

Post Thanks / Like

All,

The problem will be fixed by the end of the month
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Buckanara says we are the real deal next year and going on. Good analysis. Thinks some ruck insurance for Tim would be nice and a small forward would round us off nicely. Thinks Josh Schache will soon flourish. Our list is among the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Buckenara - The Bulldogs are building something special and we could see another piece of silverware heading to Whitten Oval as soon as next year.

I rate the list so highly. We saw glimpses of what this group of players — led by stars Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen and Easton Wood — is capable of in the second half of the season, despite bowing out in the first week of the finals. Buckenara analyses the Western Bulldogs’ list after the 2019 season

The Bulldogs have been able to overcome adversity in the years since its 2016 premiership and again endured disruptions this season with the retirements of Liam Picken and Tom Boyd and injuries to key players, including Tom Liberatore and Caleb Daniel.

After missing the finals in 2017, the club has been able to rejuvenate its list in the space of two years and I expect Luke Beveridge’s team to be a serious premiership threat in 2020.

The emergence of Aaron Naughton, who is going to be a superstar, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Bailey Dale and Tim English has the Bulldogs in the enviable position of having one of the most exciting young lists in the AFL.

The signs for Josh Schache are also positive after struggling at Brisbane and despite being in and out of the senior side this year. He kicked 24 goals in 14 matches, including hauls of four and three goals in four games and was held goalless just three times. His last quarter against Hawthorn in Round 2, where he kicked three goals in the final term to finish with four for the game, showed exactly what he’s capable of. I’m really excited to see what he can produce over the next 6-7 years.

I see eight potential stars of the future on this current Bulldogs list, players who have the talent to develop into A or B-grade players, and if they can realise their potential then they will form the nucleus of a seriously good side as they play alongside already established stars Bontempelli (23 years old), Macrae (24), Johannisen (26) and Liberatore (27).

The Bulldogs have gone into this year’s trade period with a plan and have a clear understanding of what their list needs and will address two needs — key-position players forward and back through the expected additions of Josh Bruce from St Kilda and Alex Keath from Adelaide.

Bruce is a flexible player who is athletic for his size and has been a good goal kicker for the Saints.

He’ll form a nice partnership with Naughton and Schache and will likely get the second or third defender. This forward line is going to create some serious headaches for opposition coaches in the coming years. I think the Dogs’ pick No.32 is a fair trade.

Keath is an interesting one. He’s shown good signs as a key defender who can intercept mark but he’s only really played one good season, and that was this year.

He will shore up the Dogs’ defence and be the man who can play on the bigger forwards. The Crows will want top dollar for him but I’d offer pick No.44 or a future second or third-round pick.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay. Expectation. What could possibly go wrong.

Forgive me, it's pretty much genetic when you support this club.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly believe we'll come out at the start of next year like we did at the start of 2016, easily in the top couple or so teams in the competition - which we were then before the injuries kicked in.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.