Part one

THE Bulldogs have been crippled by injuries over the last two years and despite missing the finals, this list is capable of playing and winning finals next year.

Looking at the group of players who missed large chunks of the season – Easton Wood, Liam Picken, Tom Liberatore, Dale Morris, Matt Suckling, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson, Bailey Dale, Marcus Adams (although he’s now left) and Lin Jong – they’re all good AFL players who add much-needed experience and structure.

Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae and Hayden Crozier also missed several weeks, which placed further strain on the already very young group.

Winning the flag in 2016 was a fantastic achievement but the concern I had was whether the fanatical brand of football that took this club to the pinnacle was sustainable. It was always going to be hard to back up that form and game style in 2017 and 2018 but the injury toll has made that task even harder.

Put those players back into Luke Beveridge’s team for the majority of the season and I’m confident the Bulldogs will rise up the ladder next year and again be a finals threat. I’m bullish about what this club and this list can produce and achieve.

What the injuries toll has done, however, is exposed some young players to senior level earlier than expected with some surprising – and exciting - results.

Aaron Naughton was a revelation as a key defender (and at times key forward) and has all the hallmarks of a 200-game player, Ed Richards was outstanding both across halfback and half forward and will only get better and Josh Schache is finally showing signs at AFL level of the talent that earned him the reputation as one of the hottest key position players in his draft year. You don’t get taken with No.2 in the draft for nothing.

It also provided Toby McLean and Josh Dunkley the opportunity to spend more time in the midfield and thrived, with both players enjoying the best seasons of their young careers. Their development in these roles, and the fact they took on greater responsibility, will hold the club in good stead next year and into the future.

The reason I’m bullish about this list is that talent and ability doesn’t disappear overnight. It’s the constant grind and adversity that arises during a long and arduous season that challenges players and their will to compete.

There is some serious talent on this list – Bontempelli, Macrae, Wood, Jason Johannisen, Lachie Hunter, Liberatore, Picken and Morris are all very good players, while Caleb Daniel, Mitch Wallis, Tory Dickson, Tom Boyd, Hayden Crozier, Jackson Trengove and Suckling are all experienced players who have the ability, and have proven before, to be very good contributors.

Then there are the emerging players led by Naughton, Richards, Dunkley and McLean but they’ve only just scratched the surface of what they can produce. Dale has also shown very good signs but has been hampered by injuries and Tim English should develop, in time, to be a very good AFL ruckman.

The question for the Bulldogs is: How much do they want to commit to be successful again?

The answer to that question has already started with premiership players Luke Dahlhaus and Jordan Roughead departing. Clearly both needed a change of scenery to recapture their best and you get the feeling the decision was mutual.

The Bulldogs had a relatively quiet trade period despite their departure given they wanted Chad Wingard but were beaten by Hawthorn, but did complete some minor deals.

Former Tiger Sam Lloyd and former Hawk Taylor Duryea should be best 22 players next year and didn’t come at a high price, which is a good result. Dahlhaus will be a loss but he hasn’t produced anywhere near his best footy since the 2016 Grand Final.

Marcus Adams’ move to Brisbane wasn’t a high-profile trade but I think he leaves a big hole. I really rate him as a key defender. The Bulldogs will probably need to bolster their defensive stocks at the draft now.

The list is weaker as a result of this year’s trade and free agency period but at least they’ll go to the draft with a strong hand, with three picks in the top 32.