Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing Games Overseas

The Saints are apparently going to sell a home game each year for the next three to play Port Power in China.

St Kilda will become the first Victorian team to play for premiership points in China when they face Port Adelaide next year.

Sam Edmund from the Herald Sun has confirmed the AFL will announce the Saints versus Power fixture today, with the match likely to take place in either Round 11 or 12 in a Sunday afternoon timeslot.

St Kilda has signed a three-year deal, endorsed by the Victorian Government, to play in the fixture, with the club expected to make more than two-million dollars from the agreement.

As has been standard practice with the China game, the Saints will be the ‘home’ team, but will pass those rights onto Port, who will receive all gate takings.

I think with our 2 games in Ballarat each year probably means we can't sell any other games but do you think the money is worth taking players overseas to play games?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Playing Games Overseas

No thanks from me. I think the AFL is wasting their money. No one is interested and AFL will never be a world game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

These overseas junkets should be limited to the preseason.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No thanks from me. I think the AFL is wasting their money. No one is interested and AFL will never be a world game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    These overseas junkets should be limited to the preseason.
    Ditto.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan of the overseas games. Our game is really huge in VIC, SA, WA, Tas and NT and struggles in NSW and QLD in Australia right now.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"