Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2019 - Your most Bullish Bulldog

Which of our talented list of players are you most bullish about for the 2019 season? The player that you think is ready to take a big step forward and the reasons why?

For me it's Josh Schache. It a risky pick but I think there were enough positive signs late in the year to suggest that with a big pre-season he could be primed to have a career changing season in 2019.
    He needs to get tougher and harder in a contest especially when the ball hits the ground but he has the potential to be a nightmare for opposition teams.

So let me know who you think might take that big step forward in 2019?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 - Your most Bullish Bulldog

If Tom Boyd is allowed to play in the role he has excelled in his entire life, then Tom. We know his best is unstoppable and elite and he can perform on big stages. Before rucking is goal kicking accuracy was also elite his entire life. He's got a few pre-seasons in him now, and experience also. If we can play him at least 80% forward, and have he and Schache train together as a duo developing individual and group forward craft then both become more dangerous. We've cut or allowed go some bad kicks of forward 50 entries, hopefully with Libba & Duryea about the place and if good kicks like Richards play on the wing, he might just get the ball kicked to him to his advantage. Which would be nice. He was an elite junior, an elite Grand Final player. The club needs to work out how to bring that out, maybe a leadership role if he'd want to take it on. With everything he's gone through and going through, if we can get his confidence to grow, for belief to come back, he will no doubt get better and better. He's passed 50 games and heading towards 100 games and spent 5 years in the system, the 6th next year. With maturity and a bigger tank, and understanding of the game, I'd hope the coaches are making him a priority. Bevo said this year he sees Boyd as a gun KPF in his mid 20's. Then let's do it now, and I'm very bullish when all the pieces fall, we will get spoilt for many seasons getting to go to games and watch him play.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes GVGjr, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache is a good nomination, however I'm going to nominate Bailey Williams.

He showed glimpses of a very high ceiling in 2018 and more impressively he did it in multiple locations which we know Bevo/the MC love. Given we need ready to go mids and our injury list last year I suspect his ability to play multiple roles is important, as is his ability to deliver by foot.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes GVGjr, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley.

We saw what he’s capable of when given the grunt job in the last month and with another pre-season he’s only going to get stronger and more powerful. His kicking will never be elite but if he can play to his strengths, he will allow the likes of Bont, Macrae & McLean to dominate outside. Very important player to our chances.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes Mofra, hujsh, Testekill, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If Tom Boyd is allowed to play in the role he has excelled in his entire life, then Tom. We know his best is unstoppable and elite and he can perform on big stages. Before rucking is goal kicking accuracy was also elite his entire life. He's got a few pre-seasons in him now, and experience also. If we can play him at least 80% forward, and have he and Schache train together as a duo developing individual and group forward craft then both become more dangerous. We've cut or allowed go some bad kicks of forward 50 entries, hopefully with Libba & Duryea about the place and if good kicks like Richards play on the wing, he might just get the ball kicked to him to his advantage. Which would be nice. He was an elite junior, an elite Grand Final player. The club needs to work out how to bring that out, maybe a leadership role if he'd want to take it on. With everything he's gone through and going through, if we can get his confidence to grow, for belief to come back, he will no doubt get better and better. He's passed 50 games and heading towards 100 games and spent 5 years in the system, the 6th next year. With maturity and a bigger tank, and understanding of the game, I'd hope the coaches are making him a priority. Bevo said this year he sees Boyd as a gun KPF in his mid 20's. Then let's do it now, and I'm very bullish when all the pieces fall, we will get spoilt for many seasons getting to go to games and watch him play.
    I love your loyalty to big Tom, but I just can’t see it with him. He can’t mark the ball with any consistency so he’ll never be a dominant champion up forward.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron Naughton- with the new zone laws we are going to see this kids be the elite intercepting player of the competition!
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

English. We look like we're setting him up for a big year as number one ruck. I think he has enough about him to really surprise a few.

An English/Trengrove duo should provide that mobility that Beveride has been looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    English. We look like we're setting him up for a big year as number one ruck. I think he has enough about him to really surprise a few.

An English/Trengrove duo should provide that mobility that Beveride has been looking for.
    It's going to be a big season for this developing youngster. You would have to think he's not quite ready for a full season as the number one ruckman but if he gets good support from Trengove and Boyd he can make a significant contribution.

Post Thanks / Like

Heart says Boyd, and gee what a boon for us it'd be ... if only we'd release him from ruck duty.

Head says English, and we're clearly going to give him every opportunity.

These things are inexorably linked. Go figure.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread and Schache is a solid suggestion. I was impressed by his season and agree he could take further strides forward in 2019.

I'll say Josh Dunkley. For the most part of his career to date he has played as a marking forward but in the last 5 or 6 weeks he became a ball winning midfielder who could also perform a negating role on a quality opposition mid.

Posted some impressive numbers did Dunkley and I see him taking it to another level in 2019, possibly becoming our 'Josh Kennedy'. He's a big, strong mid who is starting to kn ow he belongs in the engine room at AFL level.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Schache. I haven't seen a kid as tall as he is who is so comfortable reaching for the ball below his knees. He just leans over and picks up those chaos balls that go I50 so effortlessly. Then when he has the ball in his hands he spots targets and hits them up so cleanly he could well be a 180 cm foot soldier but he ain't, he's also a 200 cm marking target in the 50 metre arc. Pretty soon there will come a day where we wish we had two Josh Schaches!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Good thread and Schache is a solid suggestion. I was impressed by his season and agree he could take further strides forward in 2019.

I'll say Josh Dunkley. For the most part of his career to date he has played as a marking forward but in the last 5 or 6 weeks he became a ball winning midfielder who could also perform a negating role on a quality opposition mid.

Posted some impressive numbers did Dunkley and I see him taking it to another level in 2019, possibly becoming our 'Josh Kennedy'. He's a big, strong mid who is starting to kn ow he belongs in the engine room at AFL level.
    I think he took a real step forward this year and now is in the upper bracket of players at our club. I'm real keen to see if he can take that another step forward in 2019. If he improves his kicking just a bit it could all fall into place for him.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Aaron Naughton- with the new zone laws we are going to see this kids be the elite intercepting player of the competition!
    What a first year he had. finishing 4th in our Best and Fairest - excellent effort.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    What a first year he had. finishing 4th in our Best and Fairest - excellent effort.
    I reckon only Brad Hardie (won the Brownlow and was runner up in the best and fairest in his first year) has him covered at our club for rookie years.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I reckon only Brad Hardie (won the Brownlow and was runner up in the best and fairest in his first year) has him covered at our club for rookie years.
    Simon Beasley - does he count? 82 goals in his first season with us

Granty's 50 or so weren't bad either as a skinny teenager.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers