Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  106
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rhylee West

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rhylee West

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    That makes it even more awkward then. I still reckon it wasn't Scott, I'd assume he'd be able to voice his displeasure directly at the club.
    Maybe it was Rhylee himself logging onto his step mum and dad's joint account. Just airing some grievances
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

2. Likes bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Embarrassing stuff for all involved. Westy has made a pickle of himself here if it is actually him. It’s bad enough he is actually wrong but he shouldn’t be touching this subject on a public forum.

Between our supporters and families of our players we are doing our best to undermine a very good coach. It needs to stop or we will fall into the same trap other clubs have.

Post Thanks / Like

He's not wrong though.

JJ, McNeil, Scott have all had quiet games but seem to get an extended run where West always comes in for one and straight out.
    They are asking him to play a very difficult position as a small forward, without giving him any opportunities to get involved by playing further up the ground.

I feel they are trying to turn Wallis and West into small forwards when they are really inside mids. Sure Wallis has had some success up forward but with 3 talls up there he can't get near it, he's not a crumbing forward.

West should really be given some time in the middle as well as up forward.

5. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shades of David Cloke

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    He's not wrong though.

JJ, McNeil, Scott have all had quiet games but seem to get an extended run where West always comes in for one and straight out.
    They are asking him to play a very difficult position as a small forward, without giving him any opportunities to get involved by playing further up the ground.

I feel they are trying to turn Wallis and West into small forwards when they are really inside mids. Sure Wallis has had some success up forward but with 3 talls up there he can't get near it, he's not a crumbing forward.

West went outside team first against Richmond to go with a poor game. We are not privy to what is/isn’t being asked of players or spoken about but it is hard to make a case that he wasn’t in the firing line. We also don’t know the selection headaches with match ups and specific roles that MC were juggling. This stuff is hard and someone will always be hard done by.

Don’t disagree that he is more of a mid but he ain’t getting in there without a sustained injury run. Lots of players are unable to play in their best position and have to adapt. Westy has something I’m sure of it but every time he comes up he has struggled to take his opportunity. For all we know he may already be in this week as well which could have been part of the conversation.

9. Likes jeemak, azabob, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's not wrong though.

Quiet games don't necessarily mean bad games though. We don't know what their KPIs are but given they keep getting picked, they're obviously doing something that Bevo and the coaches like...and yes, I have whinged about his selection shenanigans here many times, I just don't think the omitting of Rhylee West is worthy of any handwringing or bad vibes.

On your point about him being a mid, I agree. But who's he squeezing out right now?

Scotty was being a bitter footy dad venting his spleen on a Saturday night rather than looking at the selections with any logic or rationale. Should be embarrassed and given he deleted it first thing in the morning, I'd say he is.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoever posted it, the person who would be most affected would be young Rhylee. Keep working hard and you'll get another shot soon enough.

12. Likes chef, josie, Topdog, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's not wrong though.

Except that he is wrong. West for me was comfortably worst on ground, it just absolutely wasnt his day at all.

I thought JJ should have been dropped as well but for me there is no way that you could justify keeping West in the team.

Is he unlucky that his main position is already filled? Yes
    Is he a small forward? No

Neither of those things help to keep him in the team though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Except that he is wrong. West for me was comfortably worst on ground, it just absolutely wasnt his day at all.

I thought JJ should have been dropped as well but for me there is no way that you could justify keeping West in the team.

Is he unlucky that his main position is already filled? Yes
    Is he a small forward? No

Neither of those things help to keep him in the team though.
    JJ had a poor game from the outside looking in but if his role was a a defensive forward he may well have done what the coaching group asked him to do. Sometimes it's hard for us to judge what each player's role is.

Rhylee's poor game wasn't due to lack of effort or endeavour, I prefer that to a player that drops off their intensity. Noting he was the medical sub last week he's in a tough spot, he either plays against Port (which will be hard with Williams back and potentially English and Young too) or he doesn't, meaning he has had two weeks without a game and will certainly need a VFL game under his belt before he's considered again.

By the time he's in contention against we may well have Toby McLean getting VFL games under his belt and not long after that Marra may push for senior gametime as well. That's assuming Garcia or Butler haven;t snagged a game and both have been putting in strong VFL form too... and both can run.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    JJ had a poor game from the outside looking in but if his role was a a defensive forward he may well have done what the coaching group asked him to do. Sometimes it's hard for us to judge what each player's role is.

Rhylee's poor game wasn't due to lack of effort or endeavour, I prefer that to a player that drops off their intensity. Noting he was the medical sub last week he's in a tough spot, he either plays against Port (which will be hard with Williams back and potentially English and Young too) or he doesn't, meaning he has had two weeks without a game and will certainly need a VFL game under his belt before he's considered again.

By the time he's in contention against we may well have Toby McLean getting VFL games under his belt and not long after that Marra may push for senior gametime as well. That's assuming Garcia or Butler haven;t snagged a game and both have been putting in strong VFL form too... and both can run.
    VFL bye this week doesn't help either
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Rhylee's efforts were very poor.

He played like a maniac.
    How you come off an effort like that full of anger at others beats me.
    Lost respect for the family after this incident.
    Embarrassing.

Post Thanks / Like

What would you guys say if I told you that Rhylee had played in 10 games for 7-wins and 3-losses. And after EVERY SINGLE ONE of those losses, he had been dropped?

Further, I *THINK* there is only once during his career (he debuted in July 2019) that he has played more than one game in a row - he played 3-in-a-row in the middle of last year (win vs North, win vs Syd, loss to Blues - DROPPED).

I don't think he played well vs Richmond - as I said before, there were a couple of incidents that were 'not TEAM' - but if every time he gets a game he gets dropped straight away, are you surprised that he played like (to quote) "a MANIAC".

I don't think going to socials was particularly smart by Rhylee's family (whoever it was - I'm not sure it matters) I think they had a point. West needs to be given an extended run in the team. He needs to be TOLD he will get an extended run in the team. He (fundamentally) needs to know that after his next game he isn't going to be kicked to the curb...if you think previous selection decisions aren't playing on his mind then you are kidding.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What would you guys say if I told you that Rhylee had played in 10 games for 7-wins and 3-losses. And after EVERY SINGLE ONE of those losses, he had been dropped?

Further, I *THINK* there is only once during his career (he debuted in July 2019) that he has played more than one game in a row - he played 3-in-a-row in the middle of last year (win vs North, win vs Syd, loss to Blues - DROPPED).

I don't think he played well vs Richmond - as I said before, there were a couple of incidents that were 'not TEAM' - but if every time he gets a game he gets dropped straight away, are you surprised that he played like (to quote) "a MANIAC".

I don't think going to socials was particularly smart by Rhylee's family (whoever it was - I'm not sure it matters) I think they had a point. West needs to be given an extended run in the team. He needs to be TOLD he will get an extended run in the team. He (fundamentally) needs to know that after his next game he isn't going to be kicked to the curb...if you think previous selection decisions aren't playing on his mind then you are kidding.
    Yep, that all makes sense and it seems pretty clear from the outside we have a group of players that are given a very short amount of rope (West, Young, Schache, Cavarra, Lipinski) which has been raised here numerous times.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Maybe he was told that, and then dishes up the “anti-team” stuff which left us no option? We don’t know. There has to be some non negotiable stuff in his game day performance, and that wasn’t it.

It’s irrelevant now. He’ll get another chance - he’s too good not to - and hopefully he’s learned a thing or two and we’ve provided some clarity around expectations and he will be better for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Maybe he was told that, and then dishes up the “anti-team” stuff which left us no option? We don’t know. There has to be some non negotiable stuff in his game day performance, and that wasn’t it.

It’s irrelevant now. He’ll get another chance - he’s too good not to - and hopefully he’s learned a thing or two and we’ve provided some clarity around expectations and he will be better for it.
    There’s always an option to not drop someone.

In many ways, at 7-1, it’s hard to argue with how Bevo is running the team and selections. In other ways, some of the decisions seem harsh.