Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  106
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Rhylee West

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rhylee West

West can play.

In the RFC game he generated 3 scoring opportunities in the first quarter and a bit through a strong attack on the ball and smart s with it in hand. It didn't pay off, but getting the opportunities are the first half of the battle and he is capable. Strikes gold on half of them and we'd all be pretty happy I suspect.

Think he has a reasonably good nose for goal, wants to create and get his hands on the ball. I don't agree with Scotty going bananas online about it, but I'd be looking to him over JJ in the role JJ currently is taking on too.

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    West can play.

In the RFC game he generated 3 scoring opportunities in the first quarter and a bit through a strong attack on the ball and smart s with it in hand. It didn't pay off, but getting the opportunities are the first half of the battle and he is capable. Strikes gold on half of them and we'd all be pretty happy I suspect.

Think he has a reasonably good nose for goal, wants to create and get his hands on the ball. I don't agree with Scotty going bananas online about it, but I'd be looking to him over JJ in the role JJ currently is taking on too.
    This is more my opinion of West. He has footy smarts. If Libba went down he is who I would parachute into the middle.

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this showing a bit of evidence that whilst VFL form is solid for these guys, Buku and others that perhaps that standard is just too far behind AFL level. The transition is maybe too great at the moment?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meenies View Post
    Is this showing a bit of evidence that whilst VFL form is solid for these guys, Buku and others that perhaps that standard is just too far behind AFL level. The transition is maybe too great at the moment?
    I've been wondering this myself. The gap between VFL and AFL is starting to widen to the point that making the jump upto the AFL seems to be almost insurmountable to some players. Is AFL getting too far ahead of the second tier competition, or is the second tier competition not developing players like it use to?
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I've been wondering this myself. The gap between VFL and AFL is starting to widen to the point that making the jump upto the AFL seems to be almost insurmountable to some players. Is AFL getting too far ahead of the second tier competition, or is the second tier competition not developing players like it use to?
    Well the rules are different for a start and VFL is a mixture of part-time footballers, kids who are developing and fringe types who get less time on an AFL List than they did 10 years ago. There are also 'powerhouse' teams from the NEAFL which as a comp was a step below the VFL.

The jump certainly does seem to be getting bigger and taking a medical sub each week for the AFL out of most NEAFL sides only weakens the competition further.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Well the rules are different for a start and VFL is a mixture of part-time footballers, kids who are developing and fringe types who get less time on an AFL List than they did 10 years ago. There are also 'powerhouse' teams from the NEAFL which as a comp was a step below the VFL.

The jump certainly does seem to be getting bigger and taking a medical sub each week for the AFL out of most NEAFL sides only weakens the competition further.
    You can add to these points the fact that there was no VFL competition in 2020. So much match fitness, team cohesion lost in one year. For the same reason I feel like the 2020 draft year will be behind the eight ball for a long time, probably the 2021 draft year also.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Watching VFL highlights V Carlton. We have Cavarra and bunch of others. There is no shortage of tough, nuggety small players. Rhylee will find it challenging to get a slot.

Link
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

BEVERIDGE PUTS ARM AROUND SON OF THE WEST

Luke Beveridge says he has spoken with Rhylee West, after his famous father Scott publicly reproached the Western Bulldogs coach for dropping his son.

West, who played 324 games and won seven best and fairest awards over 16 seasons at Whitten Oval, described Beveridge’s handling of his son as “absolutely disgraceful management” in a Facebook post.

The 20-year-old was axed after recording just five disposals and three turnovers against Richmond, in his first appearance for the year.

Beveridge says the club has put an arm around the talented pup as the story has played out.
    “Rhylee and I have come together… (our) relationship is extremely strong,” Beveridge told reporters on Friday.

“I feel like a little bit of a father figure to Rhylee at times.

“(We’ve been) just reassuring him that everything is going to be okay. The sensitivity around something like that being made public…

“Everyone’s really wary and cautious and definitely emotional towards Rhylee to make sure he’s okay.

“Something that should be private went public. That happens from time to time, it’s an emotional game.”

West was named the medical substitute for the Dogs’ win over Carlton on Sunday, but did not feature.
    In two reserves appearances prior to his recall, West had 22 disposals and a goal against Gold Coast, and 25 disposals and three goals against the Giants’ twos.

“For Rhylee’s sake, I hope we just move on,” Beveridge went on.

“He’s just scratching the surface in his career and there’ll be some disappointment here and there, a lot of the boys have been through it.”

A Footscray player himself from 1993 to 1995, a guarded Beveridge had little interest in exchanging barbs with his former teammate.

“Scott and I historically… we played together, we’ve been really close mates,” he said.
    “I’d rather not extend the commentary around that aspect if I can.”

Former Dogs defender Lindsay Gilbee believes West would be regretting the post, particularly as it was removed.

“I think the only person it can hurt is Rhylee… if Scott had his time again he wouldn’t have gone down that path,” Gilbee told SEN’s The Sporting Capital.

“It adds more pressure to Rhylee that he doesn’t need. He just wants to go back, play good footy and put his name up for selection again.”

Beveridge went on to say the club has historically managed disgruntlement among players’ families well.

“Brent Prismall does an enormous job as our welfare manager, talking to the parents along the way, (about) their own emotions. Occasionally I have those conversations too,” Beveridge revealed.

“It’s not something done weekly.’’

Perceived as somewhat eccentric at the selection table, Beveridge also defended the decisions made at match committee.

“When you’re fielding strong sides from week to week, unfortunately, occasionally, some of the lads are missing out,” he went on.

“I do head up a match committee, we collaborate and I think make really insightful and good decisions selection-wise, and it’s always with a view to win the game.

“I think it’s really held us in good stead, it’s helped us make two finals series when we looked down and out.

“Where maybe (other) clubs have stagnated and missed out, we’ve been able to come again by making alterations.

“The track record for the match committee here at the club has been really strong.”

The Bulldogs next face 2020 minor premiers Port Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    West can play.

I agree completely. West gets his hands on the ball and usually uses it to advantage when he does. He might not look massve or have an overly athletic build but he is a good footballer and can play the game.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

“Brent Prismall does an enormous job as our welfare manager, talking to the parents along the way, (about) their own emotions. Occasionally I have those conversations too,” Beveridge revealed.

Its funny on the SannyBOyd (Dan McGinley and Tom Boyd) podcast with Fletcher Roberts, he said the exact opposite - that Brent was stretched!

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible look for West and the club, but as Bevo says it does happen. Perhaps for the second time in a year a father has attacked him online - if you believe the Andrew Dunkley comments at trade time were accurate.

Scotty did have a point, boy like that need 5-6 games and the reassurance that they’re playing no matter what to release the pressure. There’s be half a dozen guys who didn’t deserve the spot the following week after Richmond, west seems like the scapegoat in a way

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to compare Rhylee and Cody Weightman - after some good form at VFL level, both were brought in to pressure cooker type games.

One muffed his lines, one took his chance. If Rhylee handled the occasion as well as Cody, no way would he have been omitted.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Interesting to compare Rhylee and Cody Weightman - after some good form at VFL level, both were brought in to pressure cooker type games.

One muffed his lines, one took his chance. If Rhylee handled the occasion as well as Cody, no way would he have been omitted.
    One played a disciplined game and one didn’t.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

The gap between VFL and AFL is starting to widen to the point that making the jump upto the AFL seems to be almost insurmountable to some players.
    Watch the games for a bit. AFL is a different SPORT to the state-league competitions. It just is.

Being able to play VFL games (versus last year) is of course better but for our young players to get better, they need to be exposed at AFL level...otherwise the old "I can tell you what can happen when you put your hand in the fire - but until you do it you wont REALLY know" analogy springs to mind. Watching vision, everything still seems to happen at NORMAL speed...it doesn't. It just doesn't. Players who can come in and impact immediately (and consistently) like Smith are becoming rarer and rarer...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.