Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it time for Easton to relinquish the captaincy?

I understand that he hasn’t been in the job for that long. But considering that injuries are creeping back into his game, is it time for Easton to relinquish the captaincy in 2019?

I wonder if it could be a win win, with Easton having some pressure off his shoulders and getting him back to the care free nature of play, which I feel is where we see him at his best.

Would like to read other people’s thoughts on this.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it time for Easton to relinquish the captaincy?

From a media and PR perspective I think he handles the captaincy okay but over the last two years if we are honest he hasn't been a very good player. Most players who put up his type of performances over a decent period of time would be under a lot more scrutiny than Wood receives. I wonder if he is a strong leader around the club because over the last 2 years we've had our share of challenges with some players?

I'm not sure we can remove him form that captaincy position though especially given the logical replacement in Bontempelli hasn't re-signed.

It's a reasonable idea but does him being the captain distract from his recovery from injury or the way he plays and performs? I tend to doubt it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bonts signs on, then I'd offer him the job. Easton needs to spend every second on his body and getting back for 2016 form. That's not a knock on Easton, but a reality check. Bonts with 5-7 years and captaincy, I think he'd take his game to another spectacular level. Some guys do ok with the captaincy, some plateau and some excel with the pressure and expectation as the guy to do 'it' in clutch moments. Bonts is the latter.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am torn on this one; which is interesting to me in its own right.

I was a huge advocate for Easton Wood keeping the captaincy in 2017 to allow Murphy to come back and concentrate on his game and getting back to his best.

Wood played with the care free nature in 2016 and was great. I do wonder if in 2016 he only had to concentrate on field leadership and the off field heavy lifting was done by Murphy and Boyd?

Marcus Bontempelli is the obvious choice as replacement, but he also wasn't without his own injury and form issues throughout 2018. Outside of Bontempelli we don't have anyone screaming captain material yet. Wallis not a lock for best 22, Picken injury concerns, Dunkley too young, Morris stepped down this year due to age.

Potentially Jackson Macrae is an option however he hasn't been in an official leadership role at the club yet.

Jackson Trengrove is an interesting case for mine and should be a dead certainty for being elevated to leadership group. He appears everything you want a leader to be gives 100% every contest and seems the ultimate team man.

As a club we have lost a lot of experience and leadership over the past 24 months, which ever way we go we need to have a strong and united leadership group.

For me I think the time is right to make Marcus Bontempelli Captain, I get the feeling his games naturally elevates to greater levels when he is Captain. My only concern, reservation is he is yet to commit from 2020 onwards.

I'd keep the leadership group small and tight in 2019.

Captain - Marcus Bontempelli
    V-Captain - Jackson Trengrove
    DVC - Jackson Macrae
    More of an In Bruges guy?

7. Likes SlimPickens, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From a media and PR perspective I think he handles the captaincy okay but over the last two years if we are honest he hasn't been a very good player. Most players who put up his type of performances over a decent period of time would be under a lot more scrutiny than Wood receives. I wonder if he is a strong leader around the club because over the last 2 years we've had our share of challenges with some players?

I'm not sure we can remove him form that captaincy position though especially given the logical replacement in Bontempelli hasn't re-signed.

It's a reasonable idea but does him being the captain distract from his recovery from injury or the way he plays and performs? I tend to doubt it.
    I'm amazed at the lack of scrutiny on Wood, his form has dropped off as much as any player in the competition. In an ideal world he improves this year stays captain while Bont get backs to his best, signs on a long term deal and becomes Captain in 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I'm amazed at the lack of scrutiny on Wood, his form has dropped off as much as any player in the competition. In an ideal world he improves this year stays captain while Bont get backs to his best, signs on a long term deal and becomes Captain in 2020.
    He's been a darling of the fans for many years. When Christian Howard was being ridiculed for his poor performances despite having better averages than Easton Wood there was no pressure on Wood. Over the last 2 years JJ copped a fair bit of scrutiny when his form dropped and yet Wood hasn't really been on the radar. When he was asked to move forward this year and make a contribution he fell well short of the mark and yet Bevo wore the blame for that.
    When he is playing well he is a good performer but anything less than that he becomes at best an average player. Despite all that I think the captaincy and a spot in the 22 when fit is guaranteed for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question.

After his injury/surgery post GF in 2016, I suspected he'd struggle in 2017. We then had him spend all summer training as a forward for 2018, only to lack the conviction to proceed with it after 5 quarters of football, which didn't set him up for success.

I think he's a polished young man and a good leader to have with such a young group. Hopefully we let him lead the defensive group and have a more settled on-field role in 2019.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Good question.

After his injury/surgery post GF in 2016, I suspected he'd struggle in 2017. We then had him spend all summer training as a forward for 2018, only to lack the conviction to proceed with it after 5 quarters of football, which didn't set him up for success.

I think he's a polished young man and a good leader to have with such a young group. Hopefully we let him lead the defensive group and have a more settled on-field role in 2019.
    Good summation, people forget about his ankle surgery at the end of 2016, he lost a bit of spring as well.

We have also tended to use him as a tall which has taken away what he did in his AA year, that is, giving him freedom to move . His roles have been to play tight against some ridiculous opponents like Buddy - we are trying to kill the bloke. With Naughton emerging, and Cordy to take on the third talls, plus Morris back in the team, Woods role should once more be the intercept player. We saw some of this in the last few games in 2018. To me he stays as captain, and then the Bont can have it after he signs his extension beyond 2020.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im happy for Wood to keep it another year, if Bont doesnt sign this year.

If hes not signing i dont want him leading our club.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's been a darling of the fans for many years. When Christian Howard was being ridiculed for his poor performances despite having better averages than Easton Wood there was no pressure on Wood. Over the last 2 years JJ copped a fair bit of scrutiny when his form dropped and yet Wood hasn't really been on the radar. When he was asked to move forward this year and make a contribution he fell well short of the mark and yet Bevo wore the blame for that.
    When he is playing well he is a good performer but anything less than that he becomes at best an average player. Despite all that I think the captaincy and a spot in the 22 when fit is guaranteed for him.
    I'd be a bit surprised that he'd ever cop criticism for not being able to perform well in a position completely unnatural to him in one of the worst performing teams in the competition. It was an hubristic move by Bevo to try and build a strategy around Wood playing forward, and it was shown that when the team played its players by and large in the positions they were most suited to, with the odd tweak (like Caleb playing back and Dunks getting more on-ball time) that it performed better. I really hope the coaching team don't pull any bullshit this preseason and just get on with things.

That aside he also clearly brought attributes to the table that Howard never did, irrespective of my feeling that Howard copped more than he should have due to his high draft position.

I agree that he has avoided some of the criticism directed at JJ, but he didn't hold the club to ransom for a "career" defining contract like JJ did, and that counts for something. However, he should be played as he was in the final round against Richmond, that's his go and if he doesn't perform in that role then his position in the team should be under some scrutiny.

As for the OP's topic, I want Bont to sign a long term deal this side of Christmas and be announced as captain. It's the right time with our team developing as it is.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Jee, I tend to agree. Simply put I want Easton back playing dominant intercepting football and if the giving up the captaincy helps him achieve this I’m all for it. Obviously Bont is the next in line although I think guys like Trengove, Wallis, Macrae etc should be in the conversation.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Some well thought out posts on here
    Let’s hope and prey for no hubris in the pre-season .
    On topic I’d like Easton to have one more season and have the baton over to The Bont .

Post Thanks / Like

I would like Bont to sign a big contract then be announced as captain. The time is right. Wood needs to focus on getting back to his best with rehab and confidence. Needs to be able to concentrate on just himself this year. I believe the Bont would rise as the Captain in his own right. He has been great as a fill in but he needs to be given the opportunity to lead this team as it’s sole Captain. I think he would step it up another level as the leader

Post Thanks / Like

It's a team of kids that need experienced leadership, leave it with Easton
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

20. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One more year for Easton feels about right then hand it over to the Bont.