Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it time for Easton to relinquish the captaincy?

Curve ball.

Say a team throws a stupid mega godfather offer at Bonts. 10 million, over 8 years...
    He's weighing up an offer like that, it's hard to dismiss immediately...
    We believe that our offer is competitive but not enough for an immediate decision...
    We believe that offering the captaincy will result in a swift long term contract extension. Locking him in, and setting us up to go about signing a lot of other guns coming out of contract. Great for him, great for other players, great for list manager, great for club, great for members, great for hope heading into 2019...

Do we automatically offer/give him the captaincy irregardless?

(I'm already in the give it to him, so my answer is there already)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Bont is ready to become the full-time captain. I can't name many 23 year olds that were ready to be captain but I reckon that Bont has his head on his shoulders and should be ready to embrace the role.

edit: He also captained us a few times this season anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    He also captained us a few times this season anyways.
    Did it effect his performance?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

HUN on captains

Is it Bont time?

Easton Wood led the Dogs to a drought-breaking flag in 2016 as a stand-in for Bob Murphy and was stand-alone skipper for the first time in 2018.
    But he never got a decent run at it, suffering a serious hamstring injury that restricted him to just 12 games.

Marcus Bontempelli stepped into the job for the second half of the year - although that didn’t go entirely smoothly either, with Bont missing two games himself with injury. The captain’s armband was handed to Lachie Hunter for Rounds 17 and 18.

Hunter went on to win the best-and-fairest but Bont is the heir apparent and the timing seems right at age 22 (23 in November) and 104 games into a career Dog fans will rival the club’s greats.

the rest here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If It helps Bont stay and he wants to be captain let him have it. But don't want to distract him from his footy and would rather he get a few more years on him. Easton is a solid captain, barring injury.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I find it hard to comment on captaincy. I think without being inside the club - it is a really difficult one to be definitive about. It can be hard enough to be definitive about it inside a footy club.

That's not by any means to say that it isn't worthy of debate and hypothesis. Its just one that I feel is by far best judged from within. I recall the backlash in the general public when the likes of Maxwell and Harley were made captains - who were fairly average players in amongst many champions - but the reality is that they became great captains for those groups.

If those who know Bont best, feel that he wants the captaincy and that his performance will thrive from being the sole leader - then great.

7. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Captaincy can be a burden. I’m in favour of Easton for2 more years. At that stage the Bont will be 25 and poised to take it with both hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe one more year, but it feels like it could be one of those years where form + captaincy won't gel well. I think Hawthorn dropped Richie Vandenberg a few times when he was captain? It's an unsettling premise.

That being said, Wood has some terrific football under his belt when fit and with plenty of continuity in his game. Through injuries to himself and others, as well as positional changes, he's had a fair bit on his plate. I wouldn't oppose him handing over to Bont.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s unfortunate that we don’t depth in experience to have other options from our current captain who has been injury plagued again and form has been questionable and a 23 year old - even if he does walk on water.

One look at our leadership team this year is enough to show the leadership situation. If Wally was back at his best he’d be my choice. Macrae doesn’t appear to want leadership responsibility IMO and JJ and Hunter aren’t inspiring enough for me.

If I had to choose between Bont and Wood - then bont if he wants it. But agree w everyone else here that we sign him until he is 42 first.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood to remain captain with Bont as Vice. Hunter and JJ remain in the leadership group joined by Trengove and Wallis.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...adership-group

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent.

Wood is one of the best captains in the competition. I hope he has it for several years yet.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

13. Likes bornadog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Wood to remain captain with Bont as Vice. Hunter and JJ remain in the leadership group joined by Trengove and Wallis.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...adership-group
    A real strengthening of the leadership group.

Trengove and Wallis are quality players to have at our club
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I would have loved to see Macrae in there. But it's a much better group than this season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone scratching their head on who's left the group it's Roughead and Redpath. I had totally forgotten Redpath was part of the group this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    For anyone scratching their head on who's left the group it's Roughead and Redpath. I had totally forgotten Redpath was part of the group this year.
    The way the article mentioned a few times about different characters and leading in different ways/styles leads me to think that perhaps lasts seasons selections were to appease all the different factions amongst the footy team. Perhaps that's how Redpath was nominated into the leadership group. To appease the now mostly defunct "unmotivated" party group.