Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Draft surprises over the years

Article in HS today (now behind paywall so I can't get it) about Danny Frawley back in 1999 coming over from Collingwood to Richmond and wanting Pavlich but being overruled and forced to take Fiora instead.

Post Thanks / Like

A draft like this would be great:

Clayton surprised us all.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

There are four 200 gamers in that lot? I think Mitch Hahn got to 189 games and if Barry Hall hadn't cleaned him up in the night GF in 2010 then there would have been five.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Murphy isn't stupid. Fists behind the biceps to make them look like he even had biceps. I don't think his biceps were as big at retirement as he made out in that photo.

Rascal.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

Clayton or was he in some way drafting off Kinnear Beatson's player ratings from the year before?
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Clayton or was he in some way drafting off Kinnear Beatson's player ratings from the year before?
    It seems suspicious the only good draft he ever had for us was in his first season.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It seems suspicious the only good draft he ever had for us was in his first season.
    And in his time with us we never traded away first round picks like some other clubs did. He had more than enough early picks to make his mark. It's good he is getting some accolades for the class of 99 but I do wonder if it was all of his doing.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

Super Draft series: How the Western Bulldogs rose again on back of 1999 draft class

There have been better individual players taken in the draft, but for a collective none surpasses Scott Clayton’s class of 1999.

It was Clayton’s first draft as recruiting manager of the Western Bulldogs, and the club’s list was ageing and in dire need of rejuvenation.

Clayton held several meetings during the year with his recruiting staff, all of which ended positively regarding the direction he was going to take.

“Then again the full-time recruiting staff was just me so I suppose I wasn’t going to get much objection,” laughed Clayton.

In the three seasons leading into the 1999 draft, the Bulldogs had been highly competitive but their list needed an injection of youth.

Clayton targeted players who could use the ball by hand and foot, plus teenagers who looked as if there was plenty of room for improvement.

The seven players taken by Clayton in the ’99 draft, plus two trades in Nathan Eagleton and Trent Bartlett, combined for a record 1492 games. Enough said.

1999 DRAFT
    Western Bulldogs’ recruiting manager Scott Clayton:

PICK 13: Robert Murphy (312 games): “He was left field in the sense he was young and immature so I drafted him very much on what he could become, not what he was. He played in the Grand Final for Gippsland Power and had five kicked on him by Ezra Poyas from Prahran Dragons. But there was always something about him.

PICK 32: Daniel Giansiracusa (265): “He was a local boy whose run and brilliance made him a no-brainer, plus he was such a high quality bloke. He was young and like Murphy, immature. But it’s always easier to put on weight than put on talent. The draft is often about growth.”

PICK 35: Patrick Wiggins (12): “We clearly needed a big tall forward. I would love my time back with Patrick Wiggins. He came really aggressive but used to go over the line and lose his cool. He was raw and rough. In trying to get rid of that over the top aggression, it might have taken away from his ability to play at that level.

PICK 37: Mitch Hahn (181 games): “Dominated for Queensland in the U18 Championships. Even though he was big, he still had a lot of maturing to do so there was obvious upside. He was tough, loyal and loved to compete. Plus he had surprising speed.”

PICK 43: Lindsay Gilbee (206 games): “One of the great kicks of the modern era. Saw him in a pre-season match for Eastern with this big vertical leap which meant he could compete in the air and he was prepared to take instruction, plus he was courageous

PICK 58: Patrick Bowden (50 games): “Saw him play in Alice Springs to play as his family had moved up there. A high quality kid who kept coming up the ground as a high half forward. He proved a good swing at it in the 50s.”

PICK 66: Ryan Hargrave (203 games): “He was nowhere prior to the draft. He didn’t make any squad in WA. And when he first came over he got really sick. But he was just so incredibly tough. We tested him in Perth after Murphy had blown away the 20m sprint at the Combine, Hargrave privately tested just as quickly.”

TRADED: Nathan Eagleton (221): “Another good kick, so it was a draft where we brought in a number who could use it. I thought Eagleton was undervalued and just required some love to prove himself a really good player

TRADED: Trent Bartlett (42): “We wanted a tall forward and he was a brute who would bash in. And once again just a good fella. He gave good value.”

VERDICT
    Name another draft in history where all seven picks have played senior football, six of them over 180 games? And they added Nathan Eagleton who was swapped to Port Adelaide for Brett Montgomery.

It was the class of ’99 who took the Dogs to three straight preliminary finals between 2008-2009.

So in terms of value for selections, given Scott Clayton went in with no top 10 picks, I find it impossible to go past the Western Bulldogs in 1999 as the best single year draft in its 32-year history.

11. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And so began Clayton's love of the skilled but skinny flanker, a high risk, high reward type of draftee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    And so began Clayton's love of the skilled but skinny flanker, a high risk, high reward type of draftee.
    He's a lot like Stephen Wells really.

Had an absolute blinder of a draft once and an excellent record with his late picks but has fluffed many first rounders. Geelong's early draft picks in the past few years makes for sorry reading, hence their cliff.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's a lot like Stephen Wells really.

Had an absolute blinder of a draft once and an excellent record with his late picks but has fluffed many first rounders. Geelong's early draft picks in the past few years makes for sorry reading, hence their cliff.
    I think the worse one was Tim Walsh.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    That year MJP was the Bulldogs rep in a Bigfooty mock draft and he took Gourdis at 4.

Even the best of us have our off moments.
    The same MJP who was deadset against Bont. Why do we listen to him again?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The same MJP who was deadset against Bont. Why do we listen to him again?
    He guessed right on a kid called Ward for our McMahon compo one year. Dining out on that ever since.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet last years top 10 were mighty surprised when ASADA wouldn't let them off stage till they gave a testing sample.

Bit harsh really

18. Thanks KT31 thanked for this post