Thanks Thanks:  169
Likes Likes:  210
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks again BAD. Good to see the boys in the wetter conditions and to see West tackling the great man in Morris.

Can someone please enlighten me on who is rucking against English?

Would it be Sweet?
    Pretty sure it is Sweet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder across the clubs is there any vast differences in training sessions between them?
    Some might have a bigger focus on weights and strength training and for others it might more about endurance but I doubt it's vastly different,

Building confidence, skill levels and developing tactics would be just as important I would have thought.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder across the clubs is there any vast differences in training sessions between them?
    Some might have a bigger focus on weights and strength training and for others it might more about endurance but I doubt it's vastly different,

Building confidence, skill levels and developing tactics would be just as important I would have thought.
    I think it might have been Nathan Brown who commented that the Terry Wallace he knew at Richmond was a vastly different beast to the Terry Wallace he played under at The Bulldogs was a lot less forgiving of players mucking about and missing sessions but at the same time didn't drive his players as hard as he did when he was at the Bulldogs and the Richmond players weren't as fit as his teammates at the Bulldogs. Browny reckoned Plough version 1 was a lot better to play and work under but Browny was a lazy bastard and it doesn't surprise me that he would think that at all.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Reading some of the reports online is interesting to see what other clubs are doing. The Power did a couple of 2 x halves match simulation at an open session and then worked on a few different scenarios for releasing the ball from contested situations and moving it, along with a lot of running. GC have seemingly taken their running program up a few notches, but haven't read much else. Presumably most clubs are focused on this by now, but with what seems a reduction in open sessions across the competition it's hard to know.

Post Thanks / Like

They can be quite different according to people I know.
    North have far less emphasis on weights than other clubs and are almost entirely functional movement based.

I think on the other hand Melbourne still whipped out the old 100x100 a couple of years ago. And Adelaide had some stupid camp last year.

A friend of mine mentioned he saw training at one club (Carlton) and there were players just doing repeat quarter-ground sprints with minimal rest which seems the current in vogue method, repeat max efforts with limited recovery time to match the way football is now played.

I tried one of the Swans running drills from a few years ago and was close to vomiting about halfway through. It's probably changed now though.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone on the Sunshine Coast this weekend:

Sunshine Coast open training session

Bulldogs fans on the Sunshine Coast will get a chance to see the players up close this Sunday, during the Club’s pre-season camp.

The Club will hold an open training session from 9.30am on Sunday, January 27 at Maroochydore Sports Complex, with an opportunity to get photos and autographs from the players after the session*.

A great selection of the 2019 Western Bulldogs official summer merchandise will be available to purchase on site.

Western Bulldogs Sunshine Coast open training session

9.30am, Sunday January 27, 2018
    Maroochydore Sports Complex
    Fisherman's Road, Maroochydore, QLD
    *Not all players are guaranteed to be available for autographs

8. Thanks Eastdog, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good opportunities for woofers who are going up there for a holiday and for woofers based up there. Look forward to the reports.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

A friend of mine mentioned he saw training at one club (Carlton) and there were players just doing repeat quarter-ground sprints with minimal rest which seems the current in vogue method, repeat max efforts with limited recovery time to match the way football is now played.
    They'll be doing this:

https://www.scienceforsport.com/maxi...bic-speed-mas/

They'll ALL be doing it unless there is a particularly left field head of performance out there...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Thanks Go_Dogs, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    They'll be doing this:

https://www.scienceforsport.com/maxi...bic-speed-mas/

They'll ALL be doing it unless there is a particularly left field head of performance out there...
    Thanks - I think Tory Dickson mentioned this in a print interview a year or two ago when he had something like a 40 minute running session that had 13 minutes of running in it (or some similar odd number) at close to, but not quite, max effort.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Would love the mic'd up video on the clubs website to go a little longer from the sunshine coast. Its interesting stuff indeed, something we haven't seen much of in the past. Schache looks like he has put on some size lets hope he improve his contested work this year hard not to like how he as attacked his first 2 years at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache has only been at the club one year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Schache has only been at the club one year.
    Two preseasons
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Two preseasons
    Ah yeah of course. Fair point.

Post Thanks / Like

Delete if not allowed.

Here is a link to a bigfooty post. A poster named DogDays has photos with a brief description of how the boys went in a scratch match up on the sunshine coast. Not sure if DogDays is a poster here on WOOF, either way thanks mate.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...208586/page-26
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

18. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for bringing that over ratsmac. Dog Days did a fantastic job with the photos and a little write up. You wouldn’t believe it I live in Brisbane and had to go away for work the week the boys were here. I have missed them every year they have been up. It’s a cruel world out there. I must admit I am getting a bit excited for the season ahead.

Big big thank you to all the posters on here. Living in QLD we don’t get much at all. This site is by far the best footy info around. Much appreciated

20. Thanks ratsmac, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post