Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best of 3 Grand Final

Do we get 3 public holidays?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

2. Likes hujsh, josie, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A big no from me.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

West Coast have now chimed in with their support or at least saying it should be considered.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Do we get 3 public holidays?
    Only in your state
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    How about the first quarter is played in WA, the second in SA, the third in NSW and of course the last in Vic at the G. That way everyone is happy.

That suggestion is just as absurd as a best of 3 GF.
    And the players have to run (and swim) from venue to venue.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I quite like this idea but I'd like to see it taken to the next level.

We could make it a mix of the football version of continuous cricket and The Amazing Race. The first final could start in Adelaide at 9am, it would run until 12, following which the players would rush to the airport to jump on a plane for the second final starting in Perth at 4pm EST, then once that's played they could jump on a plane to Melbourne to fly over for the third and final match of the day starting at 9.30pm Eastern time. The scores would be totaled up and the winner could be presented the premiership cup followed by night fireworks. Gill would also finally get his night Grand Final.

To add some additional tension and potential for unexpected twists, the players would need to arrange their own travel and organise transport to and from the airport with no assistance from other staff. If one of the teams isn't at the ground by the official starting siren then the game would still commence and the team at the ground would be free to play uncontested with all scores accrued counting towards the aggregate total for the three games.

The beauty of this is the fans who attend the games can watch the other 2 matches on the big screen at their ground and the AFL could sell advertising and offer live betting on the screen with fluctuating odds depending on which airline the team chooses, weather conditions, and whether team choose taxis or risk the surge pricing of Uber.

To me this sounds like the perfect day of drama, shocking twists, the moment that changes everything, and would be a ratings juggernaut for an entire day. The only thing I think we're potentially missing is maybe some sort of immunity challenge and the potential to bring in a 3rd team to challenge for the premiership in bid to spice things up about two thirds of the way through when people's interest starts to wane a little. Perhaps the fans at home could text in to vote for who the intruder team should be, or the AFL could go with their current approach and just lock in Essendon as the annual intruder to give them chance to play a football match beyond the first week of September and to reward them for their "incredible" recovery from a "challenging" period.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

8. Likes N/A, jeemak, ratsmac, Twodogs, Topdog, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stupoid idea so it is right up the alley of AFLX

Post Thanks / Like

Hocking and Gilligan should be sacked with all their stupid ideas this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Complete idiocy . Tend to see their point about home teams hosting the GF though
    We still would have beaten Sydney anyway
    When’s Vince McMahon replace Gilligan ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I quite like this idea but I'd like to see it taken to the next level.

We could make it a mix of the football version of continuous cricket and The Amazing Race. The first final could start in Adelaide at 9am, it would run until 12, following which the players would rush to the airport to jump on a plane for the second final starting in Perth at 4pm EST, then once that's played they could jump on a plane to Melbourne to fly over for the third and final match of the day starting at 9.30pm Eastern time. The scores would be totaled up and the winner could be presented the premiership cup followed by night fireworks. Gill would also finally get his night Grand Final.

To add some additional tension and potential for unexpected twists, the players would need to arrange their own travel and organise transport to and from the airport with no assistance from other staff. If one of the teams isn't at the ground by the official starting siren then the game would still commence and the team at the ground would be free to play uncontested with all scores accrued counting towards the aggregate total for the three games.

The beauty of this is the fans who attend the games can watch the other 2 matches on the big screen at their ground and the AFL could sell advertising and offer live betting on the screen with fluctuating odds depending on which airline the team chooses, weather conditions, and whether team choose taxis or risk the surge pricing of Uber.

To me this sounds like the perfect day of drama, shocking twists, the moment that changes everything, and would be a ratings juggernaut for an entire day. The only thing I think we're potentially missing is maybe some sort of immunity challenge and the potential to bring in a 3rd team to challenge for the premiership in bid to spice things up about two thirds of the way through when people's interest starts to wane a little. Perhaps the fans at home could text in to vote for who the intruder team should be, or the AFL could go with their current approach and just lock in Essendon as the annual intruder to give them chance to play a football match beyond the first week of September and to reward them for their "incredible" recovery from a "challenging" period.

Knowing us we'd kick a point with our first shot at goal and then have to wait until the other team turned up to kick the ball back into play!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Knowing us we'd kick a point with our first shot at goal and then have to wait until the other team turned up to kick the ball back into play!
    This actually happened in an quarter final in Gaelic Football many years ago.

The scores were level at full time and both headed to the sheds.

Problem was, one of the teams forgot there was extra time and didn't return to the field, believing there would be a replay next week.

Only one team took the field, and duly scored a goal unopposed when extra time started.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    of continuous cricket .
    Now there's something I haven't thought of for a long, long time.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Can't even believe this is a discussion. It goes against the fabric of the game. No. No. No.