Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs forward Josh Schache adds almost five kilos ahead of big summer

link

Josh Schache expedited his travel plans.

As the footy world soaked up the start of September the Western Bulldogs sharpshooter and housemate Brad Lynch jetted to the US.

The duo sat in the Dodger Stadium stands as LA piled on a run-fest against the New York Mets and then watched Philadelphia outlast Indianapolis Colts in the NFL.

Then, with more than a month left on the holiday clock, Schache returned home and got to work.

“I’ve put on 4.7kg,” Schache said before ‘Handball Club’ at Whitten Oval, where Bulldog youngsters were joined by Tom Liberatore, Liam Picken and Jackson Trengove.

“That was my goal over the off-season, to get in the gym more and do more swimming and I’ve been eating more to put that extra weight on.

“I feel like that’s where I can catch a little bit of a break to other players.
    “I’d eat around six meals a day. Before weights I’d get around four eggs in and a couple of pieces of toast.”

Schache has confused his scales in recent years as his weight fluctuated.

In 2015 he was drafted at about 96kg. Then, at the Brisbane Lions, he peaked at about 103kg.

Last year Schache shed 10kg — cutting out carbs as he trimmed down to about 93kg — and right now he has beefed back up to 99kg.

The plan is to maintain the gains over summer. Then, he is hopeful it will make him harder to move in 2019.

“Definitely in my lower body. I’ve put a kilo on each side, so each leg, and that gives you that bit more stability being able to hold your ground.”

It’s been a turbulent ride for the No.2 pick, who has eked out 40 games and 42 goals in three seasons.

But the 21-year-old has never been happier, living just minutes from Whitten Oval with Lynch and Bailey Dale and returning to Seymour most weekends.

It was at the Seymour Football Club where he was been pumping weights in October.
    “It’s pretty quiet in there and they’ve got everything I need,” Schache said.

Then there’s the swimming, also completed back at his hometown.

“Mainly freestyle,” Schache said. “I’d get up to 1.5km some sessions in a bit under half an hour.

“I don’t mind swimming, so I’ll get in there most days and it works your upper body a bit more.
    “It’s good for your aerobic capacity as well.”

Bulldogs veteran Liam Picken also returned to train with the 2-4 year players. Pic: Michael Klein

A long-time strength of Schache’s is his set-shot routine, likened to a fluent golf swing in his draft year.
    Schache spins the Sherrin three times, walks eight steps, jogs four steps and kicks.

“I try and walk straight, jog straight and kick straight and then hopefully the ball goes straight,” he said.

Marked into his 2019 diary will be more video analysis of the game’s best key forwards alongside coach Ash Hansen.

Jack Riewoldt is a favourite of Schache’s while coach Luke Beveridge highlighted a defensive trick of Josh Kennedy’s game.
    “I was talking to Bevo before and he brought up how Josh Kennedy’s short steps really complement his team defence,” he said.

Short steps?

“It means defensively not lumbering in, so shortening your steps and coming in a bit more agile and being able to close off those exits to give my teammates down the field a little bit more time to set up.”

This year Schache said the goal was to “have a lot of fun and learn a lot” as he enjoyed being back into Victoria.

Next season is simply about building on that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, Mofra, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs forward Josh Schache adds almost five kilos ahead of big summer

Man I wish I could eat 6 meals a day and only put on 6kg of muscle...

Sounds like a tall Daniel Cross fanatic with food watching and stupid amount of training.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs forward Josh Schache adds almost five kilos ahead of big summer

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Man I wish I could eat 6 meals a day and only put on 6kg of muscle...
    I have no problem handling half that equation, and it's done me the world of good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

5. Likes bornadog, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like he really was in a bad headspace at Brissie. Despite my pessimism as the trade went through, we really do seem to have snared ourselves a bargain here.
    He'll be good for 1.5 goals per game and play both the get out option and a linkman role for us. Vital for our structure. He's possibly going to be our most important forward in 2019 based on how he finished the year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes Raw Toast, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Seems like he really was in a bad headspace at Brissie. Despite my pessimism as the trade went through, we really do seem to have snared ourselves a bargain here.
    He'll be good for 1.5 goals per game and play both the get out option and a linkman role for us. Vital for our structure. He's possibly going to be our most important forward in 2019 based on how he finished the year.
    Agreed. Smoothe mover, covers a bit of ground and a nice kick. If he can continue his upward trajectory he'll end up being an absolute steal.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

A lot to unpack here:

1. Back to work before he was even back to work.
    2. Gaining muscle mass
    3. Targeted weight training to address deficiencies.
    4. Building aerobic fitness
    5. Picking up small habits to help the team.
    6. Seems exceptionally happy.

This kid is a beast in waiting.

1500m in half an hour is damned impressive for a non swimming athlete as well.

10. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

Pfft. I can run faster than that.

12. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the bright lights and at times the only reason to watch the footy last year. If he improves again and the team as a whole can improve and give him better opportunities to make an impact then he could be in for a real good year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    A lot to unpack here:

1. Back to work before he was even back to work.
    2. Gaining muscle mass
    3. Targeted weight training to address deficiencies.
    4. Building aerobic fitness
    5. Picking up small habits to help the team.
    6. Seems exceptionally happy.

This kid is a beast in waiting.

I want him to turn on BEAST MODE !!

Imagine schache and Gowers on beast mode ?

Post Thanks / Like

Needs to work harder when out on the ground and make his presence felt. Seems like he has a good attitude and wants to succeed
    Last edited by bornadog; 18-11-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Pfft. I can run faster than that.
    Me too, that much time gives you heaps of chances to stop and rest.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Me too, that much time gives you heaps of chances to stop and rest.
    Yeah. Frankly it's embarrassing that it's even being talked about.