Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

List & Recruiting Analytics and Innovation Manager

I see we have this position advertised at the moment. Hopefully this is a new role in an expanded recruiting department.

https://twitter.com/Robertson_SJ/sta...67968847044613
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: List & Recruiting Analytics and Innovation Manager

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I see we have this position advertised at the moment. Hopefully this is a new role in an expanded recruiting department.

https://twitter.com/Robertson_SJ/sta...67968847044613
    Moneyball!

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs to employ data analyst to bolster the club’s recruiting department

Western Bulldogs are hunting a data analyst to bolster their recruiting department and help identify new trends in the game.

In a move which is becoming more popular with clubs, the Dogs are looking for a data scientist or qualified mathematician to support key list management decisions.

The new number-cruncher will be responsible for “evaluating the statistical performance of AFL players, teams and potential draftees”.

Applications for the list and recruiting analytics and innovation manager closed on Wednesday.

Clubs including Hawthorn, Sydney and Adelaide are considered the AFL’s frontrunners in this area, while St Kilda recently poached the Hawks’ data analyst Darren O’Shaughnessy and North Melbourne welcomed Champion Data’s Glenn Luff.

In particular, O’Shaughnessy has been lauded for his input at Waverley, where the club’s ability to stay ahead of the tactical curve was a key plank in their golden premiership reign.

St Kilda football boss Simon Lethlean said it was an area St Kilda wanted to improve in.

“We probably lacked some real grunt and analytical smarts that need to be there for us to go to the next level in how we analyse our recruiting, how we analyse our game-plan, match day, and how we utilise all our data,” Lethlean said.

“It’s a great coup for the club I reckon, to get a guy of his quality.”

Similarly, the Bulldogs want to bolster their expertise in this area as Luke Beveridge’s men attempt to jump back into the eight next year, after missing finals over the past two seasons.

Specifically, the Bulldogs want someone responsible for “analysing and predicting game trends” and “conducting research projects and analysis relating to player acquisitions”.

However, some clubs remain sceptical about the value of this role, and believe a full-time analyst is an unnecessary added expense.

But it paid dividends for Sydney Swans on draft night when an idea masterminded by Swans’ analysist Chris Keane, from GWS Giants, enabled the Swans to pickup academy forward Nick Blakey more cheaply than anticipated.

Sydney temporarily swapped out its second-round pick with West Coast so it didn’t have to be used on academy prospect Nick Blakey. Once the forward was secured, the Swans activated another deal with the Eagles to regain a second-round pick.

The AFL has since confirmed it may outlaw similar move in future.

Post Thanks / Like

I notice the position closed the day before yesterday. Bad luck BT you would have been perfect.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I notice the position closed the day before yesterday. Bad luck BT you would have been perfect.
    Did my job interview get cancelled?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023